“Great base for touring Tuscany” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villasanpaolo

Save Saved
You added Villasanpaolo to your Saves list
Villasanpaolo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Provinciale per Certaldo, 53037 San Gimignano, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 33 hotels in San Gimignano
New York City, New York
“Great base for touring Tuscany”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This gem is 3kms outside of San Gimignano set amid the olive groves. Very friendly staff to welcome you to a ultra clean and very comfortable modern hotel with full spa and outside pool in beautiful grounds. Good value for money, a peaceful, elegant retreat when you return from touring the sights with full restaurant serving gastronomic specialty menu.Have returned here many times and the place just keeps getting better. Beautifully maintained inside and out. It's the friendly staff the get the most praise. They are attentive and willing to go the extra mile to arrange your requests..

Room Tip: Back or front balcony rooms are great for the countryside views. There is also the old villa to che...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Luigi Z, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Villasanpaolo, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Brucelli, every time we welcome you back to Villasanpaolo is a true joy! I know many of my colleagues and our Owners had this pleasure for several years. This year I myself have been delighted to meet you for the first time and really we all feel very grateful for your extreme kindness in our regards. we are happy to learn once again you appreciated our hospitality and assistance . I may just recall some of your suggestions given to our staff and myself during your stay , and again very pleased to confirm they were all taken into attention and account. Grazie mille !
From Sara, Franco, Romina, Antonella .......many other colleagues of mine and myself....a presto!
yours very cordially, Luigi

716 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

A great location, very good rooms and friendly, helpful staff. We felt it generally lacked atmosphere. In the evening the only bar open was the poolside bar and each evening we were the only people there. The small terrace dining area seemed to be an afterthought, with a few tables and the view obscured by the undergrowth. Having said that our room in the original buildings was very good.

Room Tip: If you are not fussed with a room with a view go for the rooms in the original buildings
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Luigi Z, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Villasanpaolo, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Guests, sincerely many thanks indeed for your stay with us and review with your nice comments in general on our property and accommodations. In regard of atmosphere, I would agree it can be a matter of expectations. Villasanpaolo is very much requested, especially in summer season, by leisure travellers looking for tranquillity to escape from usual daily pressure finding a retreat of peace and relax. My sincere gratitude for your comments on our staff, really a valuable added value for our hospitality concept. we hope to welcome you soon again here ! arrivederci ! yours cordially, Luigi
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Having read previous Trip Advisor reviews we knew that we had chosen well. We recognised Luigi immediately! The hotel is modern, clean and very comfortable. It is by no means plush but where it lacks it squishy sofas it more than makes up for in welcoming and accommodating staff. The hotel is located just outside San Gimignano, an easy drive to Sienna or Florence or over the mountain from Voltaire. We spent many hours travelling the Italian countryside but we were always glad to walk through the reception doors to a chorus of 'buonasera'.

Room Tip: Always upgrade to a room with a view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Signora Sarah , our most sincere gratitude for your words ! for taking your time to write your words ! it seems theoretical, but it is very much what we all at Villasanpaolo feel, your comments are the most appreciated award to our daily commitment, but also our wish you will come back for a new vacation in Toscana ! grazie mille !!! yours very cordially, Luigi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

On our arrival we were meet by the very friendly and helpful staff. We were concerned it was a little too far from town but our fears were soon put to rest when it was suggested we hire a car. Wow as we drive on the opposite side of the road I was more than a little concerned but this was a wonderful option. Our Tuscan experience was more then enhance by having our independence. We discovered some hidden treasures that we otherwise would not have. The hotel was extremely comfortable and we were more than satisfied with our experience. The staff are amazing and I can not thank them enough for the service that we received. After travelling for 6 weeks they are definitely a standout for service beyond duty. A big thank you.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Luigi Z, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Villasanpaolo, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Kim, a real pleasure to read your review ! grazie ! thank you for your nice comments and good memories for your stay with us. Very happy you have accepted our suggestion to hire a car and drive all along our extended territory. I am sure, as much as you write, it is the proper way to know places, people and feel our locations . we hope you will come back soon . my warmest personal regards, Luigi
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was a wonderful experience. The room was nice, great spa, beautiful views and a chance to enjoy the pools indoor and out. Luggi, the general manager gave us great ideas and driving directions and was very gracious. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Great facility in a spectacular location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Bev from beautiful Manitoba in Canada, it is all of us to thank you for your stay at Villasanpaolo ! so many thanks for taking your time in writing your comments. I have been to Manitoba and I know how the winter can be cold there......when you are tired of it.....PLEASE COME BACK HERE!!!!!! all our warmest regards, Luigi
Union City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Planning an international wedding is hard. Besides the time difference, language barriers, and cultural nuances, there's a level of comfort that's missing by not being there in person to tour the venues, meet the people, or have a sense you're getting what you paid for.

My wife and I got married in Tuscany last month and we brought with us 30 of our closest friends and family, all of whom needed a place to stay. From beginning to end, our experience with Villasanpaolo was fantastic.

The rates I received for such a large group of people were by far the best in the area. Luigi, the manager, worked with me via email months in advance to help coordinate reservations for my guests and, once we arrived, came in personally to greet us on his Sunday off. The whole staff made it very clear that they were at our disposal and were extremely accommodating to all our guests, especially the nervous bride and frantic groom. The rooms were everything you'd expect from a first class hotel - clean, modern, and perfectly climate controlled (which is not as common as you'd think in Italy). The grounds were gorgeous, which should be no surprise in Tuscany, but the views in particular from the dining room were breathtaking. I toured the huge spa but unfortunately never had an opportunity to schedule an appointment...that was one of our biggest regrets because some of our guests went and came back raving about it. I won't get into the food, because honestly, we were in Tuscany, that's nearly impossible to mess up. In terms of location, it's exactly what you should expect from the countryside...you can't walk down the road and find a convenience store, but it is a short and affordable taxi ride into San Gimignano - which is as quaint and authentic as fortified Italian towns come.

I'll end with one particular memory that stands out from our stay, which was me realizing the night before the wedding that I hadn't thought to make plans to spend the night in a different room than the bride. It was already late at night and I didn't want to impose on any of the other guests so I went to the front desk to figure out what my options were...but before I had an opportunity to start negotiating, they had already slid a key across the counter for an adjacent room at a *generously* large discount. The next night after the wedding, the bride and I came back to a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in our room.

The point of my story isn't about money, it would be silly to expect they do that for everyone and somehow stay in business - I'm certainly not expecting that to happen again when we return (and we will return)...the point is to give a sense for the type of people, how we were treated, and the experiences we had as a result. Villasanpaolo was an incredible host and an integral part of our perfect wedding. They can't come more highly recommended...I just wish a review could do them more justice.

Grazie mile! - Mike and Jenn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
My dear Mike and Jennifer, your choice for Villasanpaolo on occasion of your Wedding in Toscana has been at same time so rewarding for all of us and so challenging, to arrange services and assistance as per your expectations. we will never forget the splendid kindness you have extended to all of us and all your very charming guests, always very gentle and thankful for services rendered. Carissimi amici, please come back......consider San Gimignano your home away from home and all of us sincere friends in Tuscany ! a warmest hug, Luigi
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Villasanpaolo for 4 nights in September and could not fault the hotel. The views from our 1st floor balcony towards San Gimignano were breathtaking. The meals in the restaurant were a tuscan delight and the staff were very helpful and friendly and you must try the spa, it has everything!

Room Tip: Some of the ground floor rooms have delightful garden patios, but you really should go for a first f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Signor David, our sincere gratitude for your vacation in San Gimignano and your choice to be with us at Villasanpaolo. It has been great to read your comments and share this with all my other colleagues......arrivederci ! kindest ciao, Luigi

Been to Villasanpaolo? Share your experiences!