“Country side Tranquilty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villasanpaolo

You added Villasanpaolo to your Saves list
Villasanpaolo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada Provinciale per Certaldo, 53037 San Gimignano, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Gimignano
“Country side Tranquilty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

On our arrival we were meet by the very friendly and helpful staff. We were concerned it was a little too far from town but our fears were soon put to rest when it was suggested we hire a car. Wow as we drive on the opposite side of the road I was more than a little concerned but this was a wonderful option. Our Tuscan experience was more then enhance by having our independence. We discovered some hidden treasures that we otherwise would not have. The hotel was extremely comfortable and we were more than satisfied with our experience. The staff are amazing and I can not thank them enough for the service that we received. After travelling for 6 weeks they are definitely a standout for service beyond duty. A big thank you.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Luigi Z, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Villasanpaolo, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Kim, a real pleasure to read your review ! grazie ! thank you for your nice comments and good memories for your stay with us. Very happy you have accepted our suggestion to hire a car and drive all along our extended territory. I am sure, as much as you write, it is the proper way to know places, people and feel our locations . we hope you will come back soon . my warmest personal regards, Luigi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was a wonderful experience. The room was nice, great spa, beautiful views and a chance to enjoy the pools indoor and out. Luggi, the general manager gave us great ideas and driving directions and was very gracious. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Great facility in a spectacular location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Bev from beautiful Manitoba in Canada, it is all of us to thank you for your stay at Villasanpaolo ! so many thanks for taking your time in writing your comments. I have been to Manitoba and I know how the winter can be cold there......when you are tired of it.....PLEASE COME BACK HERE!!!!!! all our warmest regards, Luigi
Union City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Planning an international wedding is hard. Besides the time difference, language barriers, and cultural nuances, there's a level of comfort that's missing by not being there in person to tour the venues, meet the people, or have a sense you're getting what you paid for.

My wife and I got married in Tuscany last month and we brought with us 30 of our closest friends and family, all of whom needed a place to stay. From beginning to end, our experience with Villasanpaolo was fantastic.

The rates I received for such a large group of people were by far the best in the area. Luigi, the manager, worked with me via email months in advance to help coordinate reservations for my guests and, once we arrived, came in personally to greet us on his Sunday off. The whole staff made it very clear that they were at our disposal and were extremely accommodating to all our guests, especially the nervous bride and frantic groom. The rooms were everything you'd expect from a first class hotel - clean, modern, and perfectly climate controlled (which is not as common as you'd think in Italy). The grounds were gorgeous, which should be no surprise in Tuscany, but the views in particular from the dining room were breathtaking. I toured the huge spa but unfortunately never had an opportunity to schedule an appointment...that was one of our biggest regrets because some of our guests went and came back raving about it. I won't get into the food, because honestly, we were in Tuscany, that's nearly impossible to mess up. In terms of location, it's exactly what you should expect from the countryside...you can't walk down the road and find a convenience store, but it is a short and affordable taxi ride into San Gimignano - which is as quaint and authentic as fortified Italian towns come.

I'll end with one particular memory that stands out from our stay, which was me realizing the night before the wedding that I hadn't thought to make plans to spend the night in a different room than the bride. It was already late at night and I didn't want to impose on any of the other guests so I went to the front desk to figure out what my options were...but before I had an opportunity to start negotiating, they had already slid a key across the counter for an adjacent room at a *generously* large discount. The next night after the wedding, the bride and I came back to a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us in our room.

The point of my story isn't about money, it would be silly to expect they do that for everyone and somehow stay in business - I'm certainly not expecting that to happen again when we return (and we will return)...the point is to give a sense for the type of people, how we were treated, and the experiences we had as a result. Villasanpaolo was an incredible host and an integral part of our perfect wedding. They can't come more highly recommended...I just wish a review could do them more justice.

Grazie mile! - Mike and Jenn

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
My dear Mike and Jennifer, your choice for Villasanpaolo on occasion of your Wedding in Toscana has been at same time so rewarding for all of us and so challenging, to arrange services and assistance as per your expectations. we will never forget the splendid kindness you have extended to all of us and all your very charming guests, always very gentle and thankful for services rendered. Carissimi amici, please come back......consider San Gimignano your home away from home and all of us sincere friends in Tuscany ! a warmest hug, Luigi
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at the Villasanpaolo for 4 nights in September and could not fault the hotel. The views from our 1st floor balcony towards San Gimignano were breathtaking. The meals in the restaurant were a tuscan delight and the staff were very helpful and friendly and you must try the spa, it has everything!

Room Tip: Some of the ground floor rooms have delightful garden patios, but you really should go for a first f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Signor David, our sincere gratitude for your vacation in San Gimignano and your choice to be with us at Villasanpaolo. It has been great to read your comments and share this with all my other colleagues......arrivederci ! kindest ciao, Luigi
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We picked up a hire car at Pisa airport and it was an 'interesting' beginning to our week at Villasanpaolo in Tuscany. The car was manual and only my husband could drive, which was a lot of pressure.However, we took a wonderful satnav with us and, my husband having already google viewed the area, arrived in good time.

First impressions were very good, the hotel looked just as it had in the online photos. The welcome was very warm, I did try out a bit of Italian, and wasn't laughed at! Everyone spoke incredibly good English, but encouraged me in my faltering Italian.

Our room was on the second floor and had a balcony and a view of the lovely garden. The bed was huge, the room well-appointed and the bathroom a good size, very clean and with a whirlpool bath - noisy but nice.The toiletries were all made from olive oil and were very nice. We slept very well there, the bed was incredibly comfortable and I liked that the bedding was not changed every day, (unless you requested otherwise) much better for the environment. The air conditioning was very good and it also turned itself off if the balcony doors were open, another good thing for the environment.

Breakfast was self-service and full of wonderful things we don't normally have in England, such as bruschetta and Tuscan cake. (What have the Romans ever done for us? Cake at breakfast!!) This was served in the dining room, with fantastic views over the countryside towards San Gimignano. There was plenty of choice, too. All very tasty.

The pool bar was great, with good service from Simone and Mateus (I think) and a nice selection of snacks. Lazing around the pool was lovely, though the water itself was 'bracing'.

Dinner was really good. We ate at the restaurant three times and did not feel the need to go for the whole four courses. The gnocchi was lovely, and the puddings great. The menu didn't change that week, but that didn't matter to us as it was all so very tasty. The boar chops and the pork loin are worth mentioning in particular.

The whole area is very beautiful and each of the hill towns was different. The views as we were travelling around were such that I could well understand what draws people to Tuscany to paint,

We didn't avail ourselves of the spa, perhaps next time, as we will surely be going back to the area and to the hotel.

Room Tip: We didn't look at other rooms, but I believe they were all of a good standard and we stayed in a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guests from U.K. , our sincere deep gratitude for your stay with us ! we were very proud of your wish to speak italian and sincerely results were indeed of a very good level .
Your comments and description of our hospitality concept did make happy everyone within my colleagues. We feel very rewarded and hope to welcome back yourselves and as many of your friends from England as you can ! very cordially yours, a presto, Luigi
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We found the staff excellent, friendly and extremely accomodating. The views were specatular. The grounds were beautiful. Our accomodations were great and lovely.
Good location for travelling thru the Tuscanny hill country. We would highly recommend this facility as either a center for touring or a fabulous retreat for R&R,
Myrna A.

Room Tip: ask for room 116
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear friends from U.S., sincerely many thanks for your vacation to San Gimignano ! we have been delighted of your stay with us, of your kindness, and of your comments on TripAdvisor, for sure these will be a valuable guide for readers and travellers in this territory.
we hope in your next vacation soon ! looking forward to welcome you again !
yours very cordially Luigi and colleagues.
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in the VillaSanPaolo for a week and found it a great hotel as both a base for touring Tuscany and also for relaxing in the on-site spa. We received a warm welcome on arrival and were shown to our first floor room to see if we were 'happy with the view'. We were! There was a fantastic view from the balcony over the valley to the front, and from the small side window we could glimpse the towers of San Gimignano through the trees. Upon our return on the first evening we were delighted to find a bottle of local sparkling wine chilling in our room with compliments of the hotel.
There was a good choice for breakfast, which is served in the Lampolla Restaurant with panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside.
Although the spa was included in our holiday package, it is normally an extra cost and we did witness this catching a couple of other guests out who assumed it was included; so this may be worth checking when booking.
Overall a lovely hotel with good facilities in a peaceful location. Special mention to the staff and especially Luigi Zaccardi who helped make this a very memorable holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Signora Christine and family, all our sincere gratitude for your stay at Villasanpaolo and kindness for taking time to express your comments on Tripadvisor. Grazie for appreciating out hospitality concept and for mentioning our restaurant and Irispa. Deeply, thank you for mentioning my name : I have done a little to reciprocate your choice to have your vacation in Toscana. I am just lucky to work and collaborate with this fine property and many great colleagues. Grazie mille ! please condier to come back soon ! yours very cordially,
Luigi

Been to Villasanpaolo? Share your experiences!