“Good location and a very pleasant experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel le Volpaie

You added Hotel le Volpaie to your Saves list
Hotel le Volpaie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nuova 9 | Castel San Gimignano, 53030 San Gimignano, Italy   |
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Gimignano
Dublin, Ireland
“Good location and a very pleasant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights and it was ideal for visiting San Gimignano,Siena,Volterra, and the other small towns around the area.The couple who ran the hotel were very nice and friendly.Breakfast was really very good and the best I have experienced so far in Italy..The room was a great size and nice and clean..well worth the stay

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times and it has been consistently excellent. The breakfast is very special and served with great care, no other hotel in my experience has equalled it for quality and variety. The hosts are welcoming and take pride in looking after their guests. The rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable and those with a balcony overlook lovely scenery. The setting is peaceful and well located to travel around the Provinces of Pisa and Siena. There is a super restaurant in the village. Highly recommended for those who have their own transport.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel in a lovely area, quiet but a nice distance from the delightful Volterra and from San Giminjano. However, not one time did the host Luca smile at me. Not even once. He was very friendly and engaging with all the nice white couples there. I was the only solo female staying there, and a minority group. Why do I mention demographics? Because there was absolutely nothing else I could put his indifference and aloofness down to. I had to initiate hellos and smiles and even sat to watch TV with him to get an expressionless monotone monosyllable back. The wife Anna smiled and was courteous but there was a forced quality about it. The only thing I can think of is Anna, who speaks no English, put a form in Italian for me to sign when I checked in, and spoke to me in Italian. I, of course, was not going to sign something I didn't understand and so requested an English copy and said I was not prepared to sign something that I couldn't read. She retrieved Luca who explained it was some random police requirement but when they had no further information, I said, 'fine, if its the law and everyone does it, must be a reason' and signed it. There was no conflict or issue, but I honestly can only pin point that. It hurt my feelings to see him be so friendly and warm to every one at breakfast while I sat there alone. When I asked a question or requested something, Luca actually whistled or hummed as I approached, which is what people do when placing a barrier between yourself and them. While the nice white couples had both Anna and Luca standing at the door and shaking their hands and warm large good byes, Luca demanded payment from behind the desk and didn't look at me once after that. When I said goodbye, he said 'bye' while staring at the screen. I am travelling solo in Italy and often get treated like a second class citizen but my money is as good as anyone else's and being totally alone, you want to think that you get a bit of warmth at the place you are staying. IF they were like this with everyone, fine. But, I was singled out. This would have been a 5 star review if he had smiled at me once. As it was, I felt really unvalued as a customer.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Hermosa Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Anna & Luca are the perfect hosts. The location in the country between San Gimignano and Voterra is wonderful for day trips to Chianti, Siena, Cortona & Lucca. You'll feel like family and Anna puts out a great breakfast to start your day. Rooms are spacious, plain and air conditioned. We enjoyed a dip in the pool after a day of local tours. We've stayed here 4-5 times over 12 years and never been disapointed.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
volpaie, Proprietario at Hotel le Volpaie, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
thanks for the nice review and for us it will be a pleasure to have guests still to volpaie. Greetings from Tuscany
Anna and Luca
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent there 2 nights to visit San Gimignano, Volterra and Siena. Lovely place, absolutely nothing wrong. Good variety in the (included) breakfast! We were extremely happy with everything. You should have a car to move around the region.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Balclutha, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Lovely little hotel, though somewhat out of the way, on rather narrow roads. The hosts were always on hand to welcome us back after our day out, and there providing breakfast - and what a breakfast! Every morning a boiled egg was brought to us with our tea or coffee, then we had a buffet of several cheeses, at least 6 hams/proscuittos, various breads, a variety of fruits, cakes and pasties, salsa, tomatoes both fresh and sundried (and sometimes grilled with zucchini). And always a special dish, often smoked salmon, sometimes a frittata or similar. Quite superb, and kept us going till late in the afternoon.

Our room was fairly small but had a balcony with a table and seating (and view!). We had a lockable safe, a fridge and tea-making facilities. Very good modern bathroom. Very nearby we discovered a lovely playground (not needed by us, but good for a family) and a sports ground where four young Italian men were kicking a football around.

It was altogether charming. Only disappointment - the pool was closed for the winter season.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Disappointed!!! The pictures don't truly depict the hotel. The restaurant was closed, the pool was cold and the staff wasn't overly friendly to Americans. We asked for some ice and got the attitude that we had asked for the moon. The reviews were better than what we found. While it is very clean, the rooms are small and the hotel is fairly close to the road. We requested a balcony room which was so small that two chairs barely fit and absolutely no view at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel le Volpaie? Share your experiences!