“terrific agriturismo in an exquisite setting” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 63 San Gimignano B&B and Inns
Halifax, Canada
“terrific agriturismo in an exquisite setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here in October, 2012. I told her i had booked an agriturismo in Tuscany to end our visit to Italy but told her nothing about the place; from the moment we arrived she was overwhelmed. The grounds are spectacular, even in the autumn, with lime and lemon trees, lavender plants, and a host of other herbs carefully cared for around the grounds. There is also lots to do in the area including a lovely 90 minute walk along the old Roman road into the medieval city of San Gimignano.

The hosts Stefano and Donatella were outstanding, as was Maria at reception. Chef Bruno prepared wonderful dinners as well. We took part in a lovely wine tasting during which we sampled Stefano's wines while he described them. They have a hot tub on site which one can reserve for a cost. The hot tub was lovely but unlike in North America, hot tubs are often left unheated when not in use (to reduce fuel cost) so make sure you reserve it prior to arrival since it takes several hours to warm up.

I've made multiple trips to Italy and stayed in several agriturismos, all of which have been excellent, but this one is without question the nicest I've had the pleasure to stay in. We will certainly return there on our next trip to Tuscany.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wagga Wagga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We chose Torraccia di Chiusi from the Tripadviser site and as usual, the comments of other travellers was "spot on"! A real taste of Tuscany on a working agri-tourismo vineyard! The region, the site , the scenery, the friendly welcome from Maria, Stefano's tour of their house with the added history lesson and Brono's cooking make this an absolute must for anyone who wants to experience the Tuscan region. Maybe a little hard to find, even with a GPS, but that is the only small negative! We spent an hour trying to find the place but I could think of worse places to spend an hour driving around in circles!!!
The room was large and had great views but for me, Bruno's efforts in the kitchen were something to be experienced. The dinners were great home style Italian cooking and you need to be absolutely starving because the meals are huge! Their wine was also very drinkable!
Do yourself a favour and spend a couple of nights here - you wont be disappointed!

philadelphia area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place is an incredible find. We were told to stay here by friends of ours. Were here for 4 nights, and I am already planning my return trip. Stefano and Donatella are the most gracious hosts, and Bruno's cooking is wonderful. I am a vegetarian, and we ate dinner at the agriturismo every night. I never had to remind them that I didn't eat meat, and the meals were delicious, abundant portions, and very reasonable. They have their own vineyard, and if you request it in advance, Stefano will arrange a tour of the vineyards and do a tasting. He was very helpful to us with directions and places to go while we were there. I celebrated my 50th birthday while staying there, and they welcomed me to breakfast with a beautiful flower cut from their garden and a note card wishing me a happy birthday. My children arranged to have a special surprise for me at dinner that night, and Stefano and Donatella worked with them via email to arrange everything for me. It was such a special day. There is a spa at the agriturismo, again, arrangements in advance. I had a great massage, and then my husband and I spent time in the Turkish bath...very private and very romantic.

The agriturismo is located at the end of a dirt road, approximately 3 miles long, off the main road from Poggibonsi to San Gimignano. It's about a 10 minute on the main road to each town. It is very centrally located. There is an outdoor swimming pool, which was still open when we were there the beginning of October, although we did not swim. The Pilgrim's Path (the dirt road the Crusaders followed from England to Jerusalem) runs right through the property and is a nice hike/walk.

I can not stress enough what a wonderful place this is, for exploring the countryside and surrounding area, or for just relaxing and doing nothing. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: the second floor has views that overlook the hillsides. room 6, where we stayed, is a corner room w...
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

o.k. i'm a bit late typing this review...but my partner and I stayed here for two nights in August.4

We both loved the location, so quiet and tranquil, stefan our host was most generous with his time.
We arrived late in the afternoon, and decided to eat at the farmhouse...the food which is locally produced was gorgeous.

I would recommend this lovely slice of heaven......5 stars !!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This farmhouse outside of San Gimignano was an outstanding find! It is situated right in the middle of a Tuscan valley and the views were spectacular! Donatello and Stefano were the most gracious hosts as well as the other staff members! We were only there for one night, but could easily have stayed longer. We arrived in torrential rain and left the next morning as the fog was lifting over the hills. The grounds are fabulous and so well manicured! If you are looking for a wonderful place in the hills of Tuscany, I highly recommend this bed and breakfast (breakfast was amazing as well). Also, they serve dinner (additional cost, but well worth it!) which was a five course Tuscan joy!!!

Room Tip: Buzzard room
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We spent two (2) nights here in early October in near perfect weather and enjoyed a splendid, down to earth experience. Unlike other recent visitors, neither my wife or I have any recollection of being burdened by "a long list of rules." The hosts were very gracious and welcoming, as was the rest of the staff. Stefano's admirable daily routine includes a tour of the property, complete with interesting historical anecdotes and perspectives. The grounds were inviting and varied. Our room was very comfortable while maintaining a rustic charm and it had beautiful views of the Tuscan countryside. The breakfast buffet was well balanced, fresh and more than adequate relative to many other complimentary breakfasts we have experienced elsewhere. The traditional multi course Tuscan dinner offered is reasonably priced, uncomplicated and authentic.
We also discovered that the Via Francigena pilgrimage trail (a 1,700 km trail dating back to 725 A.D., originating in Canterbury, England and running through France to Rome, Italy) passed right outside the gates of the property. We promptly marched the modest 4km stretch through the countryside to San Gimignano. As a final note, be prepared for the 3km drive up the long and winding road to get to the property (which is at the end), while keeping in mind that it is well worth it once you arrive.

Alstonville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

If only we could have stayed longer than our 3 nights. The warmth and generosity of hosts Donatella and Stefano made our stay in one of the most beautiful places in Italy unforgettable. Imagine being amid hectares of organic grapevines and having a direct view of San Gimignano (a beautiful 4.2km walk on the ancient Pilgrims Way). Add a magnificent garden full of heavily laden peach, plum, citrus and apple trees. Swathes of rosemary and lavender line the driveway and much of the fruit appears at the breakfast buffet (the best breakfast we experienced in Italy). The five course degustation menu each night shows off Tuscan produce in its best light and is not to be missed. An absolute joy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Torraccia di Chiusi? Share your experiences!