“A quiet location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
UK
“A quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We chose this hotel as it is some way out of the city centre for its quiet location. With a very good local bus service however the location worked well for us. Other reviews give more details.
The staff were efficient and helpful, breakfasts and evening meals good and we liked the modern design.
It is certainly a hotel we will be very happy to return too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Suffolk, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was a bit dubious about this hotel after reading previous reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not in the city centre but was only a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport and cost about 20 euros. If you're on a budget I think you can pre-arrange a free pickup by the hotel or you can get the Red LAM bus from the airport to Pisa's central train station and then change to the Blue LAM bus (bus stop just outside the station) and ride to the end of the line (Cisanello) - should only cost a few euros. The hotel is then a 2 min walk from the Blue LAM stop.

The hotel is modern but that's not a bad thing. Having white light in the rooms can make it seem a little cold, especially with not having carpetted floors, but you get used to it and there are plenty of different combinations so you can turn lights on/off to your taste. The bedrooms are clean and a decent size. One thing that would make them better is tea/coffee making facilities. There is a minibar with a small selection of cold drinks.

There are a couple of restaurants near the hotel but we didn't use them. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our first night and had the fixed menu which was very nice if a little pricey (although everything is expensive in Italy!). The same restaurant is used for breakfast and for that there is plenty of choice and all good quality. If you want to buy other food, snacks etc there is a supermarket called Esselunga two stops away on the Blue LAM line (the stop is called Via Cisanello 2) - handy to stop at on the way back to the hotel at night!

Blue LAM - Walking out of the hotel doors walk to the end of the road and turn left. Keep walking until you reach a news stand on your left. Cross the road and you're at the Blue LAM bus stop. It takes about 10 mins on the bus to the central train station - you can buy tickets from the machine in the bus shelter. You can then walk into the centre of Pisa from the station or hop on a train for a day trip. Our day trips were:

Lucca - less than 30 mins on the train from Pisa. Not a bad choice if you have any spare time.

Florence - direct train in less than an hour. Probably a must but didn't quite live up to expectations. Lots of great sights but also lots of graffiti and more than it's fair share of beggars.

Siena - less than 2 hours from Pisa, change trains in Empoli. Siena was everything I expected Florence to be minus the graffiti and beggars. Classic Tuscan scenery and a great place to visit.

If we were to come back to Pisa I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Libourne, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel is over-the top modern. My room was painted black. Black floors, black ceiling, black walls. All of the lighting is indirect and since all of the surfaces are black, the room was very dim unless it was light outside and I had the curtains open. The hall leading to the room was also all black. I always had the feeling I was entering a spook house at Halloween. My daughter wanted to paint her bedroom like this when she was fourteen and I wouldn't let her, so maybe I had a bias or sensitivity about the dimness and lack of color. In spite of all this, the room was comfortable and well appointed.

The restaurant is fine. I had dinner once and the breakfast buffet each morning for a long weekend. Dinner was enjoyable with an especially nice wine. The breakfast buffet was typical Italian. My only complaint about the service was there never seemed to be anyone at the bar to get a café. I stood at the bar a few times, waiting patiently but expectantly and several employees passed by leaving me feeling totally ignored. Perhaps there was something I didn't understand about the way it was supposed to operate, but I would think the bar would be open and available before dinner.

The grounds are pretty and well-maintained but it was raining during my whole stay so I did not spend much time there.

Getting into Pisa is easy by bus. The hotel can tell you where to find the stops - one is just outside the hotel and the more reliable, active stop is a five minute walk. I walked into Pisa twice to stretch my legs - it's about a thirty minute walk and you have to cross a couple of busy streets without a cross-walk.

Getting to and from the airport is a short taxi that costs about €15 per trip. It is possible to get there by public transportation. The hotel has a shuttle but charges a fee for it and I completely ignored it because of this.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are all black - see the text.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Very modern hotel, a little cold at times which is not helped by there not being any carpets on the floors. Room was modern and bright with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was very good with all the usual foods you would expect to see. The city centre was a ten minute bus ride away, the buses were regular and only a short stroll to the bus stop. Clean and comfortable with a luxurious feel in some areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews and were looking forward to trying a hotel that was clearly modern and a bit quirky. The room was very cold; we were upgraded and moved to another room but this was very cold too. We slept with our clothes on! The reception centrally control the heating and could not get the room warm. The food was ok, as was the wine, but expensive. The lighting in the corridors was gloomy and quite weird. In summary we were very disappointed and will not go back.

Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I like modern, but in my opinion this hotel was a little too futuristic. The room was too 'cold' for my liking, I found the lighting particularly unpleasant and harsh. The bathroom was practical rather than attractive. The outside space was pleasant and the hotel was well maintained. During my visit I relied on public transport and once you've worked out the buses they can work fairly effectively to get you into and out of the centre of town. I found the bus stop near to the hospital was the best for getting transport into Pisa.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel had an interesting look to the rooms. It's a very futuristic hotel from look of the hotel to the room doors to the room. When we checked in we had the staff show us to our room and give us information on the room, such as the lights turn on automatically when you walk down the hallway and into the bathroom, how to turn on the t.v., and how to access the Internet. I really appreciated the personalized service. The room was very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was very good and there were a lot of choices. My only complaint, we were told the restaurant was closed for the evening, but we weren't told that a holiday party was going to take place. Our room was on the first floor, overlooking the courtyard and from 9:00 p.m. to about midnight we heard music from the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel San Ranieri? Share your experiences!