“Could have been better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 233 Pisa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We read the instructions about where to check in which was fine but if the sister hotel cannot even give the right instructions on how to get to the B&B, then I think they need training - big time. The room was ok - the location is great. There is no aircon in the room but in the hallway (???).The breakfast was average. I watched the guy taking care of coffees during breakfast cleaning a table - using his hands to wipe of any crumbs - maybe I am just a bit fussy. It's not bad but I don't think it's worth the money - but then Pisa is quite expensive. I wish Expedia hadn't messed up our booking with the main hotel which looked very nice and which I would have preferred to stay at.....

Room Tip: The higher up the better - if you have the windows open during the night you will hear the street cl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I prefer 3-4 star, and that is what you will get from this hotel. The room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The service at the 5 star parent is great, we were very pleased with the timeliness and attention to our needs. We did not see anyone at the Fiori (guests or staff), until we saw the restaurant staff at breakfast. Breakfast is very light and promptly ends at 9:30, and they do not hesitate to shut it down. My brilliant wife made reservations for dinner at the 5 star parent hotel when we checked it, EXCELLENT choice, arguably the best salmon steak, wine and apps we have ever had and the service was excellent (made our night!). Be aware of the checkin process and make sure to go to the 5 star parent first which is about 3 blocks away from the florio (5 minute walk, not bad). If you are driving a car, just weave your way through the crowds (it will feel like you are going the wrong direction, but a gps will take you right to the front door). You should be able to find parking just in front of the hotel, if not, there is a small parking area just past the hotel on the left where you can jump out, checkin then have the concierge tell you where to park (if you don't want to pay to park in their secure area). As for Pisa.... As we look back on it now, we would have made it a small day trip versus an overnight. Very commercial, small and truth be told not a lot to see compared to the neighboring towns of Lucca, La Spezia, Florence and Sienna.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
danbenjoseph
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is quite a shame! This place is a restored (and beautifully done) old house, with gorgeaus rooms and a perfect location. Based on these I would give it five stars. However, the service is so bad that I would never consider staying here again.
I booked this hotel through an online agency and got confirmation with the hotel's address and details. I arrived to Pisa late at night, I knew that parking is not available near the hotel, so I parked about 15 minutes walk away and dragged my luggage, this would not be a problem, if not for the nasty surprise I got when arrived at the hotel and faced a locked door. When I pushed the intercom, a woman in an irritated voice told me to come to the other hotel and check in. Other hotel????? I was explained rather rudely that there is no choice and that there is an annoucement on the door (i found it - a small printed page stuck to the door in Italian only). When I announced that I have no intentions to go any further with my luggage, reluctantly she said that she will send her colleague to help me and that he would be there in 5 minutes as the other hotel is only 300 meters away. I waited for over 10 minutes and nobody came. Due to the late hour, and the fact that I prepaid the hotel, I walked to the "other hotel" (after 10 minutes, and the time being after 11 pm - I decided not to wait for the "help"). When I arrived there and complained to the front desk clerck, Leo, he attacked me and blamed me for not knowing their policy of not being able to check in at the hotel I booked!! This was the rudest reception I have ever got in any hotel. He kept blaming me that I di not wait for the help, he blamed the medieval town for the fact that the help did not arrive, he blamed the management for their policies, he blamed the whole world, just forgot to blame himself for a very unproffessional and rude service. Eventually we gor to the room, which is as I wrote is beautiful. Breakfast was OK, but nothing to rave about, certainly not at par with other 3 star hotels I stayed in while in Italy.
I once learned in a business school that you may have the most beautiful or best product in the world, if you can not stand behind it with good service, it is worth nothing!!! This is certainly true of this "hotel". BEWARE!!!

Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Pretty miffed when we were dropped off by taxi to find the door locked and check in was at a different hotel. Turned left instead of right and walked back towards the river. Realised our mistake and with a grumpy husband and dragging our cases, I wasn't in great spirits. However, got back to the hotel, used the intercom and within minutes we were collected by the bell boy, taken to the sister hotel, checked in, driven back and had our cases taken up to a pretty, well equipped, spotless room. The location is fantastic, breakfast basic but given the price one can't complain. If you want a fully serviced hotel then pay the price. For the money I'd certainly recommend this B&B.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Be aware and follow the directions for checking in at a different location. We followed the directions and went straight to the "checking hotel" and they allowed us to check in early." The room was very cute and clean. You're about 10 mins. from the Cathedral and Leaning Tower. The breakfast was just ok. The only thing I didn't like was that the doors (automatic sliding door) of the hotel were open at night and there is nobody there. Anybody can just walk in...

Room Tip: Read the check in instruction before going.
Halesowen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

It really shocks me to read some of these reviews on here for this hotel stating that the breakfast was great and that the only reason it is not a 5 star is because of the check in! These people obviously dont go to many other hotels and their expectations are zero! Let me inform you of some real facts of the hotel and please consider another hotel. The only good thing about the hotel is the superb location as it is only round the corner from the leaning tower. We arrived on a festival evening and had great difficulty in walking across town with our luggage..it was a very hot evening and we didnt get to the hotel till after 10pm...then we had to take a picture of the map on the door to find the sister hotel and drag the cases round for check in. After this, we had to drag them back to our hotel and the key was very stiff in the lock making me think we would have to go round yet again! Luckily we got in to our "small" room, feeling relieved, I tried the bed but this was a bit hard so I didnt give much hope for a good night sleep.

I went to plug in my charger the next day, and the plug disappeared through the wall...very dangerous electrics. I went to close the door of the bathroom but the door would not pull too as the floor has been put down very uneven. Be aware, if you are no happy with your partner seeing you on the lav then not a wise idea to have this room! There was no toilet seat, the bidet lever (for the plug) came off in my hands....could not bear the shower as there was no hot water no matter what we tried.

The hotel is meant to top the fridge up with 2 bottles of water each day but this was only the case on the first night, when we asked them about this, they kept fobbing us off and saying it will be with us shortly...and still no water! When we went down to breakfast in the morning, we could only have one hot drink, as the rest you had to pay for...this would not be worth it as it was the worst tea/coffee I have ever been subjected to. Also the bread was terribly hard, the cheese was displayed on lettuce which i found very odd and it was vile. We were given scrambled egg but this was so tasteless and rubbery so i asked for pepper but they do not have any pepper...a hotel without pepper?? a total joke! I then asked to see if he had any more yoghurt and he said they do not top/replace any further in the morn. We were early to breakfast, so the people after us were obv gonna have nothing! His attitude was terrible. The following day, we tried the bacon....we were almost sick. He brought us a plate of fat...no meat to be seen.

Basically, I dont expect the world from a 3 star but a toilet seat, a comfy bed, hot water and a half decent breakfast surely isnt asking too much? I would return to Pisa but I sure as hell wouldnt return to this hotel!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

this is a really lovely hotel. travelled as a couple and stayed four nights and loved our room. It was a wee bit on the small side but we didn't mind as it was decorated so beautifully and had everything we needed. It was both convenient (for the train station and leaning tower) and quiet at night.

The breakfast was more than adequate and they even do scrambled eggs for you at no extra charge if you want.

The only reason its not a 5 star rating is because the check in is really strange. We arrived and discovered that the place was locked and the check in was at the sister hotel, about 400 m away. It was a really hot day and we'd already walked from the station with our bags so it was very exhausting to have to walk further.

On the plus side, the staff were very helpful and when they saw how tired and dehydrated we looked, they got the sister hotel's porter to give us a ride back to the Fiori which was greatly appreciated. However, later in the day, we saw at least 2 other couples arriving at the hotel in confusion and not being able to figure out where the check in was so clearly this is a problem.

Aside from this hiccup, the stay was really lovely and if we go back to Pisa, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais dei Fiori? Share your experiences!