“Thank goodness it was only 2 nights :-(” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hot rate & 15% off dinner
Ranked #11 of 83 hotels in Pisa
Nottingham, England
“Thank goodness it was only 2 nights :-(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We just returned from a 2 night stay here. Sadly, the experience wasn't a happy one and we were relieved to be leaving after 2 nights.

The good: The room rate was very cheap and included a buffet breakfast. Free WiFi in lobby area. Situated next to a shopping mall and supermarket with everything you would need (particularly cheap drinking water - just 25 Cents per bottle.)

The not so good: The bathroom had a broken shower and rust stains (which my son found hilariously identical to huge poop stains.) You really need to be comfortable with your fellow guests as a Reviewer mentioned prior...the bathroom only has a glass, non-fully closing panel and therefore your every 'movement' is clearly heard! Great! The room wasn't large or particularly clean, had only CNN News as an English speaking TV channel, expensive Wifi in the room (which we didn't use) and laminate flooring, which carries noise from all surrounding rooms. Lucky us, we were in the room underneath the guy with the clicky shoes, who paced up and down on his phone proclaiming to his significant other "I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you"!! OMG, we get it, now shut up and go to SLEEP!!! We were also unlucky enough to be placed next to the lifts, which obviously led to further noise most of the night and early in the morning. Special thanks must go to the drunk Japanese(?) girls, who returned at 2am each night....
There was a lack of staff, which meant that the Reception staff were too busy to answer any queries or give information/help for our stay. Check-in took a glacial 25 minutes and as not everyone understands that to queue is a fairer method of being served, it became stressful as others pushed in and were helped first! I soon learned that you have to be more aggressive in Italy than at home, as manners don't seem to count for much :-(
The breakfast buffet was on a first come, first served basis, meaning that if you arrived early, you had a choice of food items. Some food items were replaced, but nothing was replaced after 9/9.30am. I would not recommend any hot food, as it looked grim.

The hotel location would have been fine for business travellers, but was far away from the city centre and from the airport. You can walk as we did into the city (this took just under 1 hour), or take a bus, which took about 20/30 minutes. Public transport is incredibly cheap - 2 Euro's per person, for a 70 minutes bus pass and free travel for children.

In summary, it was cheap and you got what you paid for. I dearly wish we had gone for the Hotel San Ranieri for the extra £40 it would have cost. We popped in there whilst lost and looking for the Marriott on the first day. That hotel looked clean and inviting and the staff seemed friendly and attentive. Oh well, you live and learn.
Pisa itself is lovely by the way. Beautiful monuments, great restaurants and food and although touristy, great for "people watching". If you can find time, look out for the Palazzo Blu (Blue Palace), which is a wonderful free of charge museum along the river in Pisa. It houses a collection of Roman coins and fantastic art dating from 16th Century. An absolute gem to look round!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Laura B, Manager at AC Hotel Pisa by Marriott, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,
we tahnk you for your comments and please accept our sincerely apologize if your stay at our property was not of your satisfaction.
Kind regards.

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

For a short stay, this hotel offers a low cost reasonably priced option. Pisa is easy to fly into and 10 mins drive from the town and the hotel (11 euros approx to the hotel).
The hotel is NOT in a great location, outside the centre in a residential area, although there is a bus into the train station taking about 10 mins (runs every 15 mins and costs 2 euros) and then a 15-20 min walk through the town to the square with the tower and cathedral etc. Next to it is a small local (awful) shopping centre but with a good supermarket (Esselunga so you can buy basics). No restaurants or bars nearby tho. Views from the hotel are on to the road or into the flats next door so nothing inspiring.
Rooms are clean and minimalist. Fairly small although bed is comfortable so if you are only there to sleep- adequate. TV channels- limited...do not open the window at night- we ended up with mozzies and were bitten up...
Staff are efficient more or less but not overly friendly or helpful and the place looks understaffed. only 1 person ever on the reception so bad if there is a queue and phone ringing. The self service breakfast which is pretty basic (ie/ not good at all..) also suffers from inadequate staffing and food not being replaced..the restaurant seems not to work every night and not at weekends other than for breakfast.
This is more like a holiday inn/ holiday inn express and not really marriott standard and definitely not really 4 star but it is ok as the rates for the area are quite low.
You can do Pisa in a day- it is small and compact so you do not need to allow more time- and you can easily do Lucca from here by train or bus for around 3 euros one way. Lucca is really nice so may be advisable to stay there for a night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Laura B, Manager at AC Hotel Pisa by Marriott, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Guest,
we thank you for your comments and we hope to have you again host in our property.
Kind regards.
Maribor, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Clean hotel more suited for business guests not on best touristic location. Staff is helpful but very official, you have to pay extra for the breakfast and Wifi in rooms. Rooms are spacious and really clean.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great location and parking was ample.

Close to a supermarket when you need to stock up on supplies.

The rooms was very good and the beds were great.

Met one of the excellent staff named Larry and he made our stay very good, the guy is very entertaining and offered a lot of travel tips.

Kudos to him!!!!!

Definitely a place that we will return to.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My sister got a room in this hotel on Sunday 13th July with a bath and a shower, for her, her husband and their 8-yr-old daughter, having booked it by telephone the day before, for 80 Euros for one night. This included breakfast. When she arrived, she asked for a price, for me and my husband for two nights, in on Monday 14th July, out on Wednesday 16th July. She was told by a very nice lady on reception that it would be 110 Euros, including breakfast. She then double-checked a couple of hours later that this quote was indeed for two nights and the lady repeated that it was 110 Euros. We asked my sister to book the room for us, using my husband's credit card, which she duly did. When we arrived on Monday 14th July at around 3.20pm, I double-checked again with the man on reception, that the price was going to be 110 Euros for two nights and he said, "Yes." Our room was clean, with stylish modern decor and an open-shower, wetroom-style bathroom with no bath. My only criticism of the room was that the shower drained away very slowly and you had to do a lot of mopping up on the floor around the shower base, to avoid slipping on it. This, however, was a minor thing to me, as cleanliness and price were far more important. Breakfast was a buffet with many different things to choose from, to cover every taste, with friendly and helpful staff, who brought more cold milk, when we asked for it. Imagine our surprise when we were handed a bill on the Wednesday morning, for 220 Euros! The man on reception, (a different one from Monday and I remember his name,) laughed when I suggested that it should be 110 Euros for two nights. He said that prices in this hotel started at 110 Euros per double room, and went up to 160 Euros per room per night. After a holiday of many other things going wrong, my husband resigned himself to paying the bill with his credit card, (we had kept aside the 110 Euros to pay the bill in cash,) and just wanted to leave. This did not sit well with me and I ran back from the car park after we had left, to discuss the matter further with the receptionist. I pointed out that my sister had paid a lot less than 110 Euros for one night for three people, and that she had double-checked that the price quoted was 110 Euros for two nights, for two people. He replied that my sister had stayed there at a weekend, when the rate was cheaper, and that small children, (I told him my sister's daughter was 8,) go free. He said that there must have been some kind of misunderstanding, and that all the quotes we got were just for one night. I could see that the receptionist wasn't going to budge, and knew that my husband was in a hurry to get to the airport, so I just gave up. However, something about all of this just doesn't make sense; why would an internatiinal business hotel like the AC Pisa allow any misunderstandings on price, (which are so easy to take place,) happen not once, but three times, when my sister and I double-checked it? This saddens my heart and puts a very sour taste in my mouth, which could so easily have been a very pleasant end to an Italian holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for a long weekend, clearly a business hotel which is great - a holiday with hardly any tourists! What more could you want.
Clean, crisp rooms with high quality fittings. Small tv.
Amazing bathroom with double bath and great shower.
Nice views.
Absolutely perfect breakfast! Great selection, all fresh, really helpful and cheery staff.
Dinner is a little more restricted in choice and offerings and is quite expensive. Wifi is a rip off. Minibar is fairly well priced.

Overall a great hotel if you are having a short holiday with good bus and road links to pisa, the beach and Florence. Really enjoyed my stay. You won't be disappointed.€65 a night is a great bargain.

Top marks from me.

Room Tip: Any on the top floor will be quiet with nice views of surrounding area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First time to Pisa and, due to a very late night arrival, we opted for the out of town Hotel AC Pisa for ease.
It looked ok online and was a reasonable rate.
It's always the small things that either annoy or joy me and here is no different.
They need more staff at front of house. There was always a wait at reception as they were doing 2-3 jobs at once. The batman was never around making it feel unwelcoming. The restaurant was never open once in our 2 night stay.
The carpets in the hallways upstairs are stained. Only one lift goes to 2nd floor as button broken. The staff aren't quiet in the hallways.
Lights in room didn't work.
Aircon didn't work and when asked about it they told us that maintenance man not in until morning. They did offer to change our room for us however.
The rooms at the back are dull and not light, looking straight into someone's living room meaning you couldn't have the curtains open.
The bathroom - although nice - was a bit shabby around the edges; scratched taps with limescale, dirty under the sink etc.
On the plus side though...slept like a baby in a huge, soft, clean bed. Staff were friendly enough and it did the job.
Couldn't have stayed any longer though. Shame for Marriot.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura B, Manager at AC Hotel Pisa by Marriott, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Goodmorning,
we thank you for your comments and we apoogize if your stay to our proerty was not of your completely satisfaction.
best regards.

Been to AC Hotel Pisa by Marriott? Share your experiences!