“AC style, but not the best AC I've tried” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Pisa
Pordenone, Italy
“AC style, but not the best AC I've tried”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel while in Pisa for a conference at the University nearby. This is mainly a business hotel, its location is convenient when driving into the city from the highway (as we did), but it is far from the city centre, at least you need a car or a taxi. It is close to an ugly shopping mall. The hotel has the AC style (modern and minimal) but it doesn't look as nice as others I've experienced in Italy (such as the one in Brescia). Our room had several small issues like broken tiles in the bathroom, the wall paper which was old and torn... then, they say that there is a free mini bar. It is not true: prices were shown and we were charged for what we took. I also experienced the restaurant which was good but their dishwasher doesn't work too well (or at least they should try to change the way they dry glasses, forks, knives and spoons). Infact, I noticed that my glass looked dirty: I could still see the traces of the previous customer's lipstick! So I changed it, but the next one lookes the same... same for my fork and knife. So it simply meant that they had been cleaned but not well dried. But it didn't look good at all.
Staff was nice.
I think that this hotel still needs working on its procedures and a little refurbishment would be welcome too.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

So, the bathroom and room style are pretty nice but the bathroom at least is not very functional (water everywhere after showering or using the sink). There was MOLD in the shower which was pretty gross as you can imagine and we had a sliding toilet seat (yes, every time we would sit down the toilet seat would slide to the side and make us almost fall! So uncomfortable).
The location is good for people who rented a car because is far away from downtown. Internet available only in the lobby for free. We were going to order room service one night (we couldn't cause the kitchen was closed) but there was a 25% charge on your bill, which is a lot to me... I normally pay like 3 or 4 euros max for the "room service" service if that makes sense (?).
The staff was semi nice. The only very nice person was a guy called Paolo who was there every morning running the breakfast buffet!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Everything at the hotel was great. Except the maid. She banged and slammed everydoor in the whole hall over and over. There is the extra security lock on every door. (of course) She would leave her supplies in her cart and would go back and forth from room to cart, and constantly let the door slam on the lock to keep from having to open the door again with a key. This could easily be shut without letting it slam. She did this on average 5 times a room times how ever many rooms on the floor early in the morning. Hard wood floors in the rooms made it echo loud. It was rather annoying. Other than that it was great! Francesco at the front desk was very nice, and extremley helpful and informative. Awesome job, made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
P
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The AC hotel sure won't be my first choice when returning to Pisa. Staff was not very welcoming or friendly. The front desk wasn't very helpful when asking for a restaurant recommendation for dinner.....I had to go back later because there wasn't a "local" working at the time. While the room was adequate, the service just wasn't what you would expect from a Marriott.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I travel all the time on business and hotels like these are my usual haunts. This time I was on holiday with my wife and while the hotel would be fine for a night it was a bit of a strain over three. It is a long way from the centre of Pisa, not in terms of distance (about 10 minutes in a car or taxi), but in terms of shear inconvenience. If you don't have a car then you need to bus it - best is the LAM Red to the central station, buy the ticket on the bus don't believe the nonsense about buying tickets at kiosks or shops - but then you're a bit of a hike from the action, such as it is. The nearest restaurant is a ten minute walk and is OK, the restaurant in the hotel is OK but basic pretending to be otherwise and the buses stop at 8pm.
Anyway, rant over. The rooms are clean, modern and the beds are very comfortable; the bathrooms are excellent with great showers; the staff are all wonderful, friendly and helpful; the breakfast buffet is the best so what am I complaining about?

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Location is quite good being only 10-15 minutes bus ride from the train station. Very easily found. Supermarket near by is quite convenient as well. Room was nice and spacious although there was a massive hole in the bathroom ceiling that hadn't been attended to.
Service unfortunately was a let down for a Marriott hotel but personally I' m going to put the blame on the management rather than the staff themselves who seemed willing to assist but lacked the knowledge or the training. The lowest point was when we asked about how to get to the airport by bus and were were told that it would be very complicated and that it was best to get a cab (15 euros). Well...it was 25 minutes, one bus change, the cost was €1,50 per person and it was a really simple trip. Breakfast was poor. Very small selection, no hot food at all.
Free Wi-Fi in the lobby area was good enough for me but as the hotel main clientele are cooperates, I find it strange not to offer free WiFi in rooms as well like the other 4*hotels we stayed in Rome and Florence.

Would probably recommended it for its location but not for any special occassions

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mason City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed two nights at the AC Hotel Pisa by Marriott. At first we had a hard time finding the hotel, even though there were signs; however, when you most need them, they are not to be found. Once we found the place (and we were VERY close while searching) we felt it was nicely located. It's a about a mile and a half off the SI FI Pi. We were confused when we could see the hotel but could not get to it due to a one way street. We found if we just went a couple of blocks farther and came around the back way we'd make it to the hotel easily. The rooms were well appointed and the bathroom was spacious. It was very comfortable staying at this hotel. A cold breakfast buffet was served in the morning. As a Platinum Marriott guest I get that complimentary; however, I never did see the staff ask for room numbers from any of the guests, me included, who were down there. We found it was about a half hour walk to the main pedestrian zone, and then another 20 minute walk to the leaning tower. My wife and I don't mind walking, so it was nice to leave the car at the hotel and not hassle with the parking and the ZTL. There is a huge grocery store (and a strip mall) about two blocks away from the hotel, which we found very convenient. All in all, we'll probably stay here again. It's not a resort hotel (no pool), but it is a very comfortable and clean hotel.

Room Tip: Superior rooms were very spacious and nice