“Conveniant stop for a tower visit” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Alessandro della Spina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Alessandro della Spina, 5-7-9, 56125 Pisa, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Pisa
Perth, Australia
“Conveniant stop for a tower visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel is clean and comfortable and is a very short taxi ride from the airport. We stayed in one of the junior suites, which was lovely and very spacious. As it was January Pisa was very quiet but the windows in the room seamed as if they would let in quite a bit of street noise in more busier periods but this was probably the only down side. The staff were friendly and helpful in pointing out directions to the tower and recommending places to eat. Overall very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel ticks many boxes - clean, stylish interior, lovely breakfast with excellent espresso, good locale etc etc but it is the staff who make a place.
Yes they all spoke good English and no they didn't cringe at my hideous attempts at Italian but it is rare to find people in city establishments who truly care about your experience.
I stayed a second time on my return trip and was not disappointed.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: mine was the only single room (I think) but ample size, large bathroom and was well furnished
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

A clean hotel, very handy for Pisa station, and only 5 mins to heart of town, 20 mins to tower. Decent room. Very helpful staff/proprietor who cheerfully spoke excellent English. Frustrating intermittent wi-fi. Free but needed repeated logins.

• Stayed December 2012
Roma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I decided to book this hotel after reading many positive feedback on TripAdvisor, however my experience was quite disappointing. The guy at the check in desk was quite rude during the entire check-in process. We arrived late at night (we informed the hotel before) and I have got the feeling he was not happy to wait for that (I guess he wanted to sleep ?). I do not mention his face (and comments ... and I speak Italian) when we asked to have some tea in our room (which never arrived despite he said "Yes"). We have been given the room 113 (ground floor)
which unfortunately had a disturbing musty smell so I asked to change it and the guy at the reception threateningly said he would charge double if we have used anything from room 113. I explained him that we had just opened the door and checked the room and we did not touched anything. Eventually he gave us a new room (number 115) but again there it was the musty smell ! At this point I did not wanted to argue anymore and I went to bed. The room was not in a good shape and it was not very clean either : stained walls, damaged parquet, dust on the TV screen and lamps, etc. Moreover it was cold and humid and the aircon was not heating the room properly The bed was made by 2 single beds joint together with a gap in the middle that was widening as we slept. So the overall sleep experience was not something I would like to repeat.

CAUTION --> My girlfriend forgot her diamond ear rings on the bed side table when we left ... and guess what ? When we called the next day there was no trace of them ...

I will not come back here again and I do not suggest this hotel !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wonderful hotel in close walking distance of the train station and the sites of Pisa. A short easy 15 minute walk to the tower and super close to shopping, restaurants, and other attractions. Room was clean, large, and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. There's also a decent breakfast buffet included with the room. An excellent value and also makes a good base to explore this area of Tuscany during day trips (for instance we took the train for the day to go to the Truffle Festival in San Miniato).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have read some of the 'average' reviews written here, and it seems that people forget how little they are paying to stay at a clean, comfortable, convenient location in one of the mst popular cities in Europe. We were delighted to find this hotel on Tripadvisor. If, however, you are expecting total silence, sumptuosly comfortable beds and a stunning view, you should check in to a 4 star or 5 star hotel and pay more than double the money. You simply will not find better value for money (probably anywhere in italy) than Hotel Alessandro della Spina. Our bed was not especially comfortable, and we could hear people moving around in the room above us, but I am still giving this hotel 5 stars. The lady at the desk is a gem!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was more than adequate for my one night stay in Pisa. Great location and close to the train station. Staff were professional and helpful. I might have felt a little claustrophobic if staying longer as the room was dark with limited outdoor light and sound seemed to travel however I was not there for the room. Breakfast was lovely - expresso was excellent. Would have liked to stay longer in Pisa.

Room Tip: If staying longer ask for a room with a little more light and away from the office.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Alessandro della Spina? Share your experiences!