“I love Hotel Serena & Alfredo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Serena

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pisa
Hotel Serena
You added Hotel Serena to your Saves list
Via D.Cavalca, 45, 56100 Pisa, Italy   |
Ranked #53 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
canada
“I love Hotel Serena & Alfredo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2006

Ok the service is not the best BUT we have to take into consideration that the owner is an elderly man who will go out of his way to accomodate everyone. There is only so much he could do. I remember I arrived in Pisa at 12am and he was the only person in the whole town that woke up an got me a great room for only 40euro! I have referred all of my friends and have been there 3 times during my 6 month stay in Italy!!!! Highly reccomended!

Giovanna, Canada

• Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

Arriving at the hotel on Saturday afternoon, Aug. 5, 2006, I found the reception desk empty. I tried to catch the attention of whoever was in charge by saying "Hello" or "Buon Giorno" a couple of times. The reply after a while was some sort of loud growl coming from upstairs. I looked up the stairs and saw a rather terrifying looking fat man wearing shorts and a old ski cap, holding a lit cigarette. He growled something at me, I told him I had a reservation. He indicated that I needed to come upstairs, which I did.

Once upstairs, he showed me the room reserved for me. It seemed okay for an Italian one-star hotel, although the bed was rather narrow, barely wide enough for one person. The hotel's brochure says the rooms "are fournished in the ancien style", which is true! I foolishly decided to stay, thinking it would be okay for one night. He asked for my passport and proceeded to fill in a small slip extremely slowly while holding my passport open and his lit cigarette in the same hand. I offered to fill in the slip myself, he ignored me.

Any statement or question from me seemed to annoy this man. He invariably looked at me and spoke to me in a hostile way. In my entire life, I've never come across such an unpleasant human being. At night, before I went to bed, the buzzer rang and I heard this man coming out of his room -- he apparently never sat at the reception desk. I wanted to ask him about the checkout time, so I decided this was a good moment. It turned out a French woman had rung the buzzer, she came up to him holding a pillow and showed him an insect crawling on it. He responded by getting extremely angry at her. He then took out a wad of cash and gave her 30 euros (the single rate) and told her to get out. It was almost midnight.

I was expecting at least to get a night's sleep. I was wrong. In the slum-like courtyard which my room faced, all through the night there was a loud noise of some sort of engine or generator starting and stopping. (I'm not sure why I didn't notice this noise earlier.) I closed the windows, but the noise was still loud. I had earplugs with me, but even they didn't help. So, I didn't sleep the whole night.

My advice: Avoid this hotel! I'm sure there are better places in Pisa in the same price range. It was my last night in Italy and unfortunately will cast a shadow on my memory of an otherwise good trip to Italy. This is not the way you want a trip to end!

• Liked — Located close to the riverfront, easily reachable by bus from the train station,
  • Disliked — The man in charge
  • Tips/Secrets — If you want to visit Pisa, stay in Lucca, only 25 minutes away by train. Lucca's a delightful town, a nice place to stay than Pisa. If I had to do things over again, I'd stay in Lucca and make a trip to Pisa.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

Although the Albergo Serena is ideally located in the centre of Pisa's old town and within walking distance of the cathedral and leaning tower, it's very basic and the service leaves a lot to be desired.

We booked online but when we arrived the hotel was overbooked and instead of one double room got two very basic singles. The rooms were pretty clean but the beds were ancient, the bed spreads had holes in them and the sinks were covered in paint that had long since dripped off the walls and had never been cleaned off.

However, it is central and it is cheap (45 euro for a double) and if these were are only complaints we'd probably have been satisfied but determined not to stay at a one-star Italian hotel again. Unfortunately, the man at reception when we arrived was completely uninterested in serving us, and all but threw the keys at us and demanded a passport before making off never to be seen again. The following morning it seemed an ageing and incredibly obnoxious relative had been left to puff smoke into our faces, argue over what type of booking we had (although it was explained in Italian for him in a note in the retrieved passport), and then storm off in a huff. It all felt like a bad episode of Faulty Towers. There must be equally affordable and much better rooms available in Pisa. Keep looking till you find one!

• Stayed July 2005