“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Pisa
Madrid, Spain
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Prior to booking this hotel I had some reservations, given some of the other reviews posted. Subsequent experience has made me even more doubtful of the judgements of those who might be sleeping in the room nextdoor.
We found the Relais to be a very well placed hotel and the staff, without exception, to be extremely welcoming and keen to assist. The rooms have a style not found in standard chains, it was very quiet and the garden/ restaurant setting was quite delightful. There is a hot tub too, but my doubts about the nextdoor neighbours precluded any closer encounter.
Breakfast is a bit of poolside deckchair scramble and more could be done to improve this I'm sure. The wifi is also variable, possibly due to the downloading next door, but this should be improved. The lounge on the third floor is another pleasant retreat and the XIII decor still looks fresh enough. It's not the cheapest but it certainly was very pleasant and relaxing and outperforms many others.

Room Tip: fewer (4) rooms on the top floor and the lounge there serves as an effective suite - without the cha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RelaisOrologioPisa, Direttore vendite at Hotel Relais dell'Orologio, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
many thanks for your nice review and your suggestions for improving our service.
We are actually striving to offer the most charming and relaxing in Pisa and your words are a positive encouragement to keep doing our best.
I hope to meeet you again at Relais dell'Orologio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife & I were on a short break to Florence & Pisa and this was our last night of the trip and also our wedding anniversary. Therefore we thought we would book a hotel that seemed that extra bit "special".

Good things first - the location cannon be beaten as it it is literally a few minutes from the leaning tower.
You can actually walk to the train station in 15 minutes and the river is only about 7-8 minutes walk.

Now the disappointing things:

On arrival - staff did not give us general information about location & times of breakfast.
Our deluxe room booking included a welcome drink - nowhere to be seen. We exepcted it in our room but I went to reception later and the man behind the desk seemed confused as if to say "Welcome drink - what welcome drink" ! Then he tried to make out he knew about it and said that it would be up on the 3rd floor in the special lounge..... No ... nothing up there at all.

Main problem was the air-conditioning .... there was none!.
When I complained to reception, the man (same as the one above !!) said that there was a law in Pisa that the air-conditioning could not start for another week! I found this hard to believe and I told him that the room temperature was 26 degrees. He said there was nothing he could do!

The next day - another staff member - said that it was broken and couldnt be repaired until after the weekend. Therefore the original staff member was lying!

Then in the room - the TV remote was broken and had no batteries - another complaint!
I was told at reception .... yes the same person .... that he would fix it .... he did with new batteries. I asked if there was Sky TV and he said no. I told him that it advertised on the web site about Sky TV but he said no - only Italian channels.
I told him our hotel in Florence - smaller and cheaper had satellite TV in 8 different languages (also laptops in room but thats another review i will make!). He apologised and said he could speak to the manager in the morning to which I said yes he should!

Other poor things:

Window shutter fastener was broken
Radio on the wall was broken
No clock in the room
Very loose toilet roll holder in the bathroom
No information in English in the room (other languages were available)
No pen/ pencil & paper in the room

And this was a deluxe room I booked!
In my opinion it was extremely overpriced and given the poor staff communication, definitely not the experience we wanted or expected.

I would advise people to give this hotel a wide berth.

Never again at this or probably not at any other Relais hotel

Room Tip: Check, double check and triple check what is going to be available for the high price that you are p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Taplow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Walking distance to Tower and Cathedral, near bars/restaurants, great staff, charming hotel. Room was very small, one if the smallest we have ever had, we only booked a classic but was a little surprised how small it was, there was a beam over the bath and sink in the bathroom which made it difficult, not enough light to put make up on. Rooms however were very clean and charming with robe and slippers, no tea or coffee facilities, for a 2 night stay it was ok.
Charming bar and small garden area where drinks/breakfast was served, drinks expensive even with happy hour! But this a hotel so is expected.
Staff all lovely and very helpful, Alexander in bar was very jovial.
There was no English tv, we only wanted to see the news, reception said they would reset the satellite but it never happened. All in all a charming hotel for a couple of night stay in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room ! Or pay more for an upgrade
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stay in Pisa about 1 month with my family and here we stay good. Large rooms and good price we will back in winter maybe but we will move to another place in tuscany.In this hotel all perfect and clean but they missed our reservation. Parking for car near the hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Well now, I was/had been living in Florence, IT, & wound up in Pisa as the result of my Original plans of going to Assissi were canceled, due to a last minute Train "cancellato" as I arrived to catch my train at 7:AM! So..., since I did have my ticket (but not to Pisa) & was already at the station, packed and ready to go on an adventure, I scoured the arrival & departure trains, to see what was the VERY next train I could catch, and it was to Pisa! Oddly enough, after traveling many times to Europe, and Italy, I had resisted going because I thought it was "too corny" & a tourist trap.
Therefore when I arrived in Pisa w/No reservations, I Walked to center/ luggage in tow, (not a bad walk), and Stopped on my way at a sunglass shop, for a quick fix repair (free), & inquired with owner for a Hotel suggestion. He mentioned only 2 places, both owned by a French Lady from Paris, so I was set! The first was booked solid, but they offered to call their sister Hotel Relais dell'Orologio, to inquire on vacancies. They were able to accommodate me (early evening at this point), & were expecting me. Of I went, with luggage still in tow, & arrived at this most lovely of Boutique hotels. Room was small (only one available) but beautifully appointed, & right on the First/street side floor, which was really cool, since I could open my window, as people walked by (NO cars, pedestrian only) so still quiet! Since I do speak Italian, but am obviously Not Italian, I was treated extremely well, & catered to even more, since I was traveling "SOLA" and a Lady!

Manager came over & introduced himself to me the next day, & inquired about my comfort. Little in-house Restaurant Bar, served me Complimentary Prosecco & Hors d'oeuvres! Next morning, there Was a Buffet style Breakfast, with choice of hot dishes, & Cappuccino, served here also
(included).
There is a hotel Pre-arranged, w/discount, Walking tour of Pisa. DEFINITELY take it. Best way to learn about city history, while visiting Top and more obscure Highlights of City. Great Way to orient yourself to the city, so you can return on your own later. That first sight of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, WILL take your breath away, but there is more to that attraction, besides the Tower. LOVED the entire experience! Pisa is a VERY user friendly city. Will definitely stay at this Hotel when next I return.

Room Tip: Since they gave me the only room available, at the last minute, I would try for a larger room. howev...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

First thing that happened was that we didn't receive the room category we booked at hotels.com. When we complained in the reception, we were told that there must have been some kind of mix up at hotels.com since the hotel only had standard rooms and suites. The receptionist then offered us an empty suite as compensation (after photocopying our booking to be able to complain to hotels.com).

This was just the first sign of the personels service mindedness. They gladly helped us with everything from recommending probably the best restaurant in Pisa to lending us umbrellas. I'm truly surprised of other comments regarding the staff, but perhaps we were lucky visiting a night when the ordinary staff's friendly cousines were on duty???

The standard of the suite was better than average, though not the most luxurious suite in the world. To us it was perfectly good. The standard rooms where a bit small, but would also have done for one or two nights.

A little weird thing was that the minibar only contained water and Coke. When we asked about it the explanation given was that it is a free minibar. Fair enough, but we would rather it had some more and being a paid minibar. But that was really a detail.

All in all I would give the hotel a four, but considering the staff's service mindedness I happily upgrade it to a five!

Room Tip: Suites is really two former rooms remade to one, meaning you get two of everything (like two bathroo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RelaisOrologioPisa, Direttore vendite at Hotel Relais dell'Orologio, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Many thank for your nice review.
Our staff always strives to do as much as possible to make Guesst happy and your words are the best rewards for our work.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

we booked a room at the hotel dell orologio for the 24th of march this year 2013 with a table booked in the so well advertsided restaurant,we were asked to pay in advance as most hotel do now, and we did. we arrived in the afternoon went upstairs and on our return back downstairs we were told by an arrogant member of staff at the reception that the restaurant was closed,and they could only offer us cold dishes or salads..or to use the restaurant next door.they did not apologized in any way wathsoever and if i may say they were rude too.
we couldnt believed that a 5 star hotel could operate without a restaurant or a fully prepared breakfast buffet....terrible experience it was for us.if only we knew were to make a formal complaint in italy we would...and the room was dirty too. never never again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Let me first apologize for the attitude of our receptionist: there is no excuse in case you have not felt welcomed and at home.
We are renovating the menu of our restaurant but we already offer at any time Tuscan cold dishes, salads, tasty hot pasta and primi.
Anyway Hotel Relais dell’Orologio is very close to many nice typical restaurants and our reception always suggest a good a alternative next door.
I personally check our rooms every day and I can guarantee you and all of our Guests that our cleaning standards are very high and we receive daily many praises for the cleanliness of our Hotel.
I really hope you can change your mind and give us a new chance to welcome you again in our hotel.

Been to Hotel Relais dell'Orologio? Share your experiences!