“Just as the reviews said it would be...” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Relais dell'Orologio to your Saves list
Hotel Relais dell'Orologio
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Faggiola, 12-14, 56126 Pisa, Italy   |
Ranked #15 of 80 Hotels in Pisa
“Just as the reviews said it would be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Take all the reviews, good and bad, and you'll get an accurate view of this place. No way it should qualify as a five star hotel, but if you can get over the size of the rooms and what you're probably paying, you are exceptionally well positioned near the main sights and within easy walking distance of some excellent non-tourist restaurants. Staff in the main were helpful (though there is now a ban on them sending postcards for guests - see one of the other reviews) but overall the management seems all too aware that you're probably only going to visit Pisa once, so if the air con isn't working, they're not that bothered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is beautifully restored and placed right in the city center right next to the Leaning Tower. Room was a bit small, but that was to be expected in an old 14th century building. Staff was quite accommodating, but overall both staff and the hotel missed the finishing touch to really deserve to be a 5-star hotel. Furthermore, we had a few bad experiences which are the reason I can only give the hotel an average score:

1. Arriving at the hotel after 2 pm we had expected the room to be ready, which is was not
2. The water was cold, as the heating system had broken down. This was not mentioned upon arrival, and we had to ask the next day in reception.
4. Great that the mini bar was free, but there was a bottle of water that had been opened by other guests, but not replaced with a fresh ... seems like staff was in hurry to clean room
3. The cold cuts at the breakfast buffet had quite clearly been on the table for more than three hours, in 25 degrees celsius, and wasps where having piece of it as well, as there was no cover.
4. The milk for the cereal had gone sour, again due to being left outside for way to long. Staff removed but did not replace the milk after that.
5. Had to ask for coffee, cutlery and almost everyone else during breakfast

Bottomline, breakfast was a health hazard, and I can only recommend that staff is given a course in food hygiene and handling

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

What a lovely find, the Dell O'Orologio is described by the locals as the best hotel in Pisa. The staff were great and couldn't have been more helpful. Air conditioning was fabulous in temperatures of 38 degrees. For the one night we stayed, it was a perfect location and would recommend it to anyone looking for relaxation, in a prime position with incredibly helpful staff and beautiful rooms.

Room Tip: Ask to book the room with the beams, beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Hotel Relais del' Orologio is in a great location, just a few minutes walk from the leaning tower, the river and lots of restaurants. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the welcome drinks on our first night were a nice treat. We were expecting a hotel of 5* quality (as advertised) but unfortunately it is not and was in line with 3* hotels we stayed in during our tour of Tuscany. This is a shame because it sets the wrong expectation and leaves you disappointed when you arrive. I believe they should be more honest with their star rating and prices because this hotel has got a lot going for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Staff were very helpful and welcoming and the hotel is in a wonderful location. Close to the tower and great for wandering around Pisa. I was very glad we decided to arrive by taxi. I think it would be a nightmare trying to drive there.
The room was comfortable and well maintained however it was unexpectedly small and I very much doubt a person of larger size would have been able to use the bathroom at all..
The buffet breakfast was served in a very pretty dining room with access to the garden and was delicious and best of all, included in the price of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I had high expectations of this hotel, none of which were met! We arrived at the airport, having pre-booked a transfer of 60 euros directly with the hotel as it was a late flight and I was travelling with my daughter. The transfer didn't arrive so after 30 minutes we rang the hotel to be told that they had no record of our booking and therefore no transfer had been booked. However we were told they did have a room so we could get a taxi to the hotel (which cost 15 euros so their transfer was somewhat extortionate). On arrival they still couldn't find any record of our booking even though I had an email confirmation.

The room was pleasant enough but a little on the small side which I did expect having read previous reviews. Breakfast was served outside on a pretty terrace and was okay but nothing special bearing in mind this hotel is in the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" category.

The customer service from the lady on reception was very much lacking and she was very abrupt and unfriendly. I would not stay here again for that reason alone ! We asked her to book a taxi to Pisa Centrale as we had booked a train for 1 pm. At 12.45 the taxi hadn't arrived and I doubt if she had booked it in the first place. I had to ask again and was told it would be there in 6 minutes even though I had specified a particular time we needed the taxi for.

I would just like to add a final warning to anyone travelling to Pisa in the near future. Prior to boarding the train at Pisa Centrale (I was separated from my daughter who had gone ahead) I was suddenly aware of a group of people around me also boarding the train and a man jumped on in front of me but suddenly stopped, blocking my way and the woman behind me had unlocked my bag and was about to put her hand in it. I shouted and the man jumped out of the way and both acted all innocent.

I should have realised what was happening as I am well-travelled and have encountered pick-pockets before in other cities, but because my guard was dropped I suspect I was an easy target. Please be aware that these people are well-dressed and purport to be tourists themselves so are not your stereotypical pick-pockets (If there is such a thing). This could have ruined the start of our holiday but fortunately it didn't. I saw the same couple coming back from Florence to Pisa but gave them a wide berth this time. I believe the pick-pockets spend their days riding up and down on trains from Pisa to Florence.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hotel Dell'Orologio is a charming, historic hotel only 5 minutes away from the Torre di Pisa. The building dates back to the 14th century, and you breathe history the moment you walk in. Our room was reasonably sized, very comfortable, and had some elements of the original building. Breakfast was great, they had a huge spread (even some Prosecco!) It is served at the back of the building in a charming garden setting. Another highlight was the attic - what a warm place to relax after a day's exploring. I have read some of the negative reviews and can only assume some people did not read about the property and its historic setting before traveling. If you are looking for a unique experience filled with history this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Relais dell'Orologio? Share your experiences!