“Very comfortable in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Bologna Hotel Pisa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Giuseppe Mazzini, 57, 56125 Pisa, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very comfortable in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a charming and comfortable hotel in a convenient location. The room was clean, quiet and had good wi-fi. They had the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. It was an easy walk to the tower and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hotel Bologna is central location and it's easily accessible by train. From here it is easy to move around the center of Pisa.
The hotel is simple, the rooms are simple and original. They offer good services, such as free wi-fi in the room and free water in the minibar. In addition, you can also park your car at a price not excessive.
Every evening is preparated a good aperitif with different Tuscan products.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Myself and my fiance stayed here in February 2011 and had a wonderful time. We were made to feel very welcome. The snacks before dinner were very tasty. All the staff were very friendly. Great location for exploring Pisa and beyond. If you are feeling adventurous I would recommend hopping on the train to Florence, as this is definatly worth a visit

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Bologna for two nights on a trip to PISA. After reading the reviews of others we opted to go to the hotel from the airport by Cpt Autobus LAM ROSA, getting off at Crispi 1 followed by a short walk, this cost was E1.20 per person – well worth it and far cheaper than the hotel’s cost. The hotel is situated fairly centrally to the shops, railway station, restaurants and the leaning tower. We were met by one reception staff given the card key and told it was on the third floor, I found this to be a very poor service. The room given was clean, small and it was cold, I complained and was advised that someone will look into it. It got fairly cold in the evening that I was forced to complain in person as the phone did not work. I was told that there are no other rooms available, no heaters, got offered an additional blanket and told that some money will be taken off the bill. In the room, I used the hairdryer to warm up the room (pictured). The bathroom was compact, the shower was small. The following morning we did get a warmer room after more complaining.

The leaning tower is about 15 minute’s walk and to go up it costs E15 per person. We also took a walking tour that was well worth it.

Hotel breakfast was average, it lacked the 4 star feel (in fact the whole hotel is more of a THREE STAR rather than 4), this was the only place where the staff members were polite and professional. In the evening the bar does have a few free snacks but only if you buy drinks there. During the day, there was cake and water available in the lobby area.

On the day of the check out I was not offered any reduction in the bill or an apology for the first night fiasco. Please note that visiting Pisa costs E2 city tax per person per night.

The service we got from some staff members was disappointing as they could do with some training to improve their hospitality.

I would not recommend this hotel until there are better reviews and city of Pisa officials give it the correct star rating.

Room Tip: Avoid room 303
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here while visiting pisa for a wedding.
The hotel was well located for our needs, has free parking and was clean and relatively comfortable. However, it is an older hotel and rooms would benefit from an update Value is not great, but I don't think there are that many choices inside Pisa (there are many hotels near the train station but that is a bit farther from the city and attractions).
Breakfast was good, with the standard choices and service overall was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had obtained an excellent rate with an early booking for this hotel for the first night of our holiday. The hotel is on the station side of the river and easily reached by public transport (LAM Rossa) or shuttle. Don't let the road put you off. It was quiet and felt safe.
On arrival our reservation was processed quickly, but we weren't offered help with luggage, which was a little surprising as we had large cases. For this reason only we've awarded 4, not 5. When we saw the rooms, they exceeded our expectations, bright, colourful and spacious. The bathrooms were well-equipped and modern with quality products.
Breakfast was very good, with bacon and scrambled egg, as well as a variety of buffet items. Cappuccini and hot chocolate were made to order at the bar where the service was friendly.
Overall, our short stay was most pleasant and we'd happily recommend this hotel, especially if you get a good room rate!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Grafton, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked here via Booking.com 12 months earlier and when a few days away from Pisa on my Tuscany tour I rang to confirm my booking I was told that due to credit card number being invalid it had cancelled my booking. This was not true, my credit card details on Booking .com were valid when I checked. Bologna had graciously made a reservation for me at a hotel 3km away which I declined. They then said when challenged about credit card excuse that it was overbooked and could not accommodate me. When I got back to Australia I received notification from Booking.com that Bologna had reported me as a "no show", exposing me to E119 penalty. I explained and no action was taken. Bologna's management says it is industry standard practice when overbooking occurs, to find another hotel of same standard for same price for the overbooked person. Would not explain why it was me rather than later booking that was dumped. I suggested that that it was for more money, perhaps a group booking that I was in the way of. No comment by him. Stay away from them you might suffer the same fate.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family