“Not a 'warm' welcome” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 83 hotels in Pisa
London, England
“Not a 'warm' welcome”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Bologna for two nights on a trip to PISA. After reading the reviews of others we opted to go to the hotel from the airport by Cpt Autobus LAM ROSA, getting off at Crispi 1 followed by a short walk, this cost was E1.20 per person – well worth it and far cheaper than the hotel’s cost. The hotel is situated fairly centrally to the shops, railway station, restaurants and the leaning tower. We were met by one reception staff given the card key and told it was on the third floor, I found this to be a very poor service. The room given was clean, small and it was cold, I complained and was advised that someone will look into it. It got fairly cold in the evening that I was forced to complain in person as the phone did not work. I was told that there are no other rooms available, no heaters, got offered an additional blanket and told that some money will be taken off the bill. In the room, I used the hairdryer to warm up the room (pictured). The bathroom was compact, the shower was small. The following morning we did get a warmer room after more complaining.

The leaning tower is about 15 minute’s walk and to go up it costs E15 per person. We also took a walking tour that was well worth it.

Hotel breakfast was average, it lacked the 4 star feel (in fact the whole hotel is more of a THREE STAR rather than 4), this was the only place where the staff members were polite and professional. In the evening the bar does have a few free snacks but only if you buy drinks there. During the day, there was cake and water available in the lobby area.

On the day of the check out I was not offered any reduction in the bill or an apology for the first night fiasco. Please note that visiting Pisa costs E2 city tax per person per night.

The service we got from some staff members was disappointing as they could do with some training to improve their hospitality.

I would not recommend this hotel until there are better reviews and city of Pisa officials give it the correct star rating.

Room Tip: Avoid room 303
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here while visiting pisa for a wedding.
The hotel was well located for our needs, has free parking and was clean and relatively comfortable. However, it is an older hotel and rooms would benefit from an update Value is not great, but I don't think there are that many choices inside Pisa (there are many hotels near the train station but that is a bit farther from the city and attractions).
Breakfast was good, with the standard choices and service overall was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had obtained an excellent rate with an early booking for this hotel for the first night of our holiday. The hotel is on the station side of the river and easily reached by public transport (LAM Rossa) or shuttle. Don't let the road put you off. It was quiet and felt safe.
On arrival our reservation was processed quickly, but we weren't offered help with luggage, which was a little surprising as we had large cases. For this reason only we've awarded 4, not 5. When we saw the rooms, they exceeded our expectations, bright, colourful and spacious. The bathrooms were well-equipped and modern with quality products.
Breakfast was very good, with bacon and scrambled egg, as well as a variety of buffet items. Cappuccini and hot chocolate were made to order at the bar where the service was friendly.
Overall, our short stay was most pleasant and we'd happily recommend this hotel, especially if you get a good room rate!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Grafton, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I booked here via Booking.com 12 months earlier and when a few days away from Pisa on my Tuscany tour I rang to confirm my booking I was told that due to credit card number being invalid it had cancelled my booking. This was not true, my credit card details on Booking .com were valid when I checked. Bologna had graciously made a reservation for me at a hotel 3km away which I declined. They then said when challenged about credit card excuse that it was overbooked and could not accommodate me. When I got back to Australia I received notification from Booking.com that Bologna had reported me as a "no show", exposing me to E119 penalty. I explained and no action was taken. Bologna's management says it is industry standard practice when overbooking occurs, to find another hotel of same standard for same price for the overbooked person. Would not explain why it was me rather than later booking that was dumped. I suggested that that it was for more money, perhaps a group booking that I was in the way of. No comment by him. Stay away from them you might suffer the same fate.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Medowie, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Booked this hotel 10 months before our arrival. The reason we booked this hotel was because of its location. Two days before we were to arrive I rang to confirm our reservation. Told that due to a computer software problem the hotel was over booked and they had secured accommodation a considerable distance away.

The Hotel Management was going to wait for us to turn up at the checkin desk to let us know and offer a transfer to the other hotel. As we moved up the management chain excuses put forward was human error, to problems with credit cards. Found that other people booked for the same time experienced similar problems to us, the excuses offered varied.

Be careful booking this hotel because you may get bumped off. The experience in dealing with hotels was totally the opposite to the service we experienced at other Italian hotels during our visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Hotel Bologna proved an excellent choice for our overnight stay in Pisa. Check-in was efficient, the quadruple room was spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the location to the station, main shopping area and the tower was perfect. We used the shuttle to go to the airport, 15 Euro for four of us, this was very convenient.
On another topic. Lucca [20 mins on train] is a very nice town but we arrived unknowingly when the comic and games weekend was on - very busy but would like to go back and stay in Lucca next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on arrival and before our departure from Pisa airport.

Firstly the plus points:
Staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is perfectly situated for both train station (10 mins on foot) airport (15 minute taxi ride) and the leaning tower (20 minutes on foot). Good selection at breakfast, free wifi is a bonus and certainly try the pillow menu.

Downside:
Expensive if you don't get a discounted rate for what is a basic hotel, certainly not 4*. Rooms clean but a bit dated, tiled floors in corridors and hard floors in rooms along with thin walls mean it can be very noisy. One evening we had no noise but the last evening we got no more than two hours sleep due to noise which was other guests at the hotel.

So a mixed review for me, some good aspects but some that need a mention

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bologna Hotel Pisa? Share your experiences!