“Excellent long stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 242 Pisa B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Excellent long stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice, each time for several weeks. I plan to stay again in June. Cecilia is fantastic and very attentive to every detail making the B&B feel like a home you don't want to leave. I travel extensively for work and B&B BorgoLargo is one of the only place I actually look forward to staying in. Hotels are particularly difficult for me to stay in, I have severe allergic reactions to dust and enclosed space. The B&B is a near perfect environment for me. I can open the windows, I get direct sunlight to the room, it is always kept spotlessly clean, no curtains or feathered pillows or comforters, and few rugs. They also include gluten free biscuits and other items that are appropriate for people with food allergies. None of this is advertised but are the details that indicate place to stay that understands how to provide comfort to frequent travels. I have stayed in five star hotels that were not able to support my few request so I appreciate greatly Cecilia's generosity and willingness to provide a home like place for me to stay while in Pisa. I plan to stay again next year when I am in Pisa for a month to teach at the University.

The location is central to everything you would want to do in Pisa. The guest are all interesting coming from many different places in Europe. Great place for families with children who need space for them to be comfortable.

Room Tip: Each room has a unique charm, come back a few times and try each one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Cecilia the owner was very welcoming and helpful getting around Pisa.
We loved the room and the position of the B&B -The entrance and having our own code access into the building made us feel we were authentic "Pisani"It is 5 min walk to the Tower and the kids didn't mind at all since there are at least 5 ice cream parlors and 3 souvenir shops on the way! It is also right where all the stores and restaurants are.Breakfast was good and gave plenty of healthy choices for the children. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: ask for the one with the bathroom inside unless you share it with friends or family
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Warsaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed for a couple of days for business. I quite liked the central location. The windows open to a busy street, yet it's a pedestrain only zone, so traffic noise was not a problem. Large, individually decorated rooms, cosy, homely atmosphere. A perfect place to stay for me. Tasteful, even if modest breakfast. Free tea/coffee available to the guest in a shared kitchen. Free in room Internet. Pity it's not a wifi. A nice and friendly English speaking host, willing to help the guests. Overall: just what I needed and will happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Each room is different
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
South west Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Situated on Borgo Largo a pedestrianised street leading to the opulent shops of Borgo Stretto. To get a taxi here, you will be dropped off by the Deutsch bank only 20 metres from the B&B. Cecilia will order you a taxi to return to the airport so wait outside bank for this.

Bit of confusion on arriving as B&B one of several apartments in this old tuscan building, but once in Cecilia will give you door entry code& a key to get in B&B.After lugging cases up the 2 stone flights of stairs, we were allocated room 3 opposite the green lit reception area for our family room. It consisted of one double bed& a sofa bed plus cot which Cecilia had forgotten to put out but quickly rectified this within a few mins.The room is high-ceilinged ornate with great character& a glass chandelier, antique wardrobes, drawers& high radiators. The windows which look down on the pedestrian street and its cafes and gelaterias, had stained plexi glass and shutters.
A 'greenhouse' ensuite was added thankfully(I expected from previous reviews to have an exterior b/room) to a corner of the room it's interior stone& tile containing shower, bidet, sink& toilet.Unfortunately the shower appeared to be on a 4 min timer for hot water which is not great, but the shower tray didn't drain so it was just as well or flooding would have taken place!
There was no coffee/tea facilities in room but fortunately previous reviews told us to head to the kitchen for refreshments especially as our hostess failed to mention this on arrival.My wife got the lavazza machine working with help from a male relation of Cecilias,and we used this also at breakfast. Now the organic breakfast might suit some but I found it to be poor;everything in the B&B is designed to make things easy for the hostess as despite her good English she failed to spend much time with us a(Cecilia did give me basic details on Florence train times when I asked)and I reckon it's to make money only& therefore the place felt soul-less. The cereals didn't appeal as did the dried figs and apricots. I had hoped even in October for some fresh fruit but only apples in a bowl sufficed! There was fresh juice to help yourself to in the kitchen, and fresh rolls as sat by the piano and looked out onto the terrace and church tower beyond.
The location however is excellent and only 10 mins walk to the Leaning tower via the beautiful Piazza Cavalieri or 10 mins to the River Arno the other way via Borgo Stretto. Don't miss out on a pizza slice followed by a visit to the Bottega Gelateria next door and it's superb ice-cream as you sit by the Garibaldi statue watching the world go by.
OTHER PLACES TO EAT:

Osteria I Santi 10 mins walk away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sydenham, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We (group of 8 adults) stayed at B and B BorgoLargo 51 the first night we arrived in Italy. We were staying in a Villa in Vorno for a week and the Villa would pick us up in either Pisa or Florence the next day. So glad we chose Pisa and B&B BorgoLargo51. Pisa, the bed and breakfast, Cecilia, the restaurant we ate dinner at, and the gelato were all a fabulous introduction to Italy. We chose to walk the short distance from the train station to the B and B since we had been on a plane all night, and three hours by train from Rome to Pisa, felt the need to walk about, which ended up being a great choice. Once we entered the no drive area we were met by lovely outdoor cafes, shops etc. which we would have missed if we had taken a cab. The doors to all of these buildings are very old and very beautiful! I entered my first church in Italy in this no drive area. It was simple in Italian standards and very beautiful!
The bed and breakfast is lovely, and all of the bedrooms and bathrooms were very clean. We had arranged with Cecilia ahead of time to check in later than her normal check in time, which wasn't a problem at all. Cecilia was very helpful, providing us with an iron and ironing board and with directions to a grocery/wine store and advice of where to go for dinner. We asked for a recommendation for a restaurant that the locals like to go to. Cecilia suggested Ostoria di Culegna, Via Mercanti 25 which was a very short walk from the bed and breakfast. It was one of the best meals I had during our 2 weeks in Italy. The menu isn't huge but what was on there was excellent. Our waitress spoke perfect English, was very friendly, which made it very easy/nice for us. On the way home, somewhere between the restaurant and bed and breakfast we stopped at a gelatto place. The gelatto was fantastic!! When we got home, it was so nice to sit out on the very large terrace and enjoy a glass of great Italian wine (that cost about 4 euro for the bottle at a store close to the bed and breakfast) Don't leave any alcohol out as we left an open bottle of Baileys in the kitchen and the morning worker came in and dumped it down the drain. We didn't know we should have taken it to one of our rooms. It didn't cost as much as at home so it was just a lesson learned.
Breakfast was great and it was really nice to sit out on the terrace, with a lovely view. The espresso coffee was great and now that I am home I am trying to find where I can buy a Lavazza espresso machine like Cecilia's . We weren't being picked up by our driver until 2:00 in the afternoon so Cecilia allowed us to leave our luggage at the B and B until the driver came, which allowed us to easily go out and explore Pisa. The Basilica there is so beautiful!
Even though the B&B is in a no drive zone, the driver was able to drive right to the corner next to Cecilia's so it was very convenient.
I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone. I did really like Florence when we went there but I am so glad we spent our first night in Italy in Pisa....not too large or too busy and a perfect B&B.

Room Tip: We had 4 out of 5 rooms, didn't have the room right in the middle, and no one in our group had a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed here just for one night and before catching an early flight out. The location was great, right in the middle and bustle of the shopping area, but also not far from the Tower and Duomo. The B&B was charming and our room also had lots of character. We weren't able to have breakfast because of leaving so early, but we were invited to make use of the kitchen. There was both and indoor and outdoor sitting area for guests and lots of thoughtful touches around the place. We were glad of the air conditioning as it was quite a warm night, and it also helped keep out the street noise and guard against mosquitos. The only downside was having to drag our bags up 2 flights of stairs. It's a shame we weren't in Pisa for longer to fully enjoy the delights of this B&B.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
NorthYorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I can sympathise with Mandy from Pittsburgh. Things do go wrong from time to time and when you're tired and hot things get even more frustrating. I had a wonderful night here on 2 September, 2011. I was flying out early the next morning and Cecilia booked my taxi as soon as I arrived. It was out there waiting the next morning at 5 am. Its a beautiful old house converted to a B&B hence some peculiarities. Those are well worth the pleasure of staying in a very well furnished home quite in keeping with the historic city of Pisa that you are visiting. Everything in the old town is a walk away. The bedroom and bathroom were well appointed and I really appreciated the excellent, remote controlled, air conditioning unit. BTW, the room also had an enormous radiator so a visit on the coldest day of the year would still be very comfortable here. The owners could have filled the place with IKEA furniture and still charge the same but instead they did it with style!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to B&B Borgo Largo 51? Share your experiences!