“Murder Mansion!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 224 Pisa B&B and Inns
“Murder Mansion!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE!!
On arrival we buzzed the door and someone let us in electronically, however on entering we had no idea where to go and nobody was on the other side of the door. After travelling up 4 flights of dark un-lit stairs and attempting the tiny lift, we came back onto the ground floor and walked into a dark corridor that turned out to be the 'hotel'. Despite being buzzed in, no one was there. The rooms looked like something from Hostel and we did not feel safe! It was creepy and made us feel very uneasy...we could not work out where the person was who buzzed is in! There was a computer left on and we attempted to find another place to stay by using this. In the end we asked a local and they directed us to a different hotel.

PLEASE NOTE!!...we are 2females travelling alone and we felt un safe here...one of the reviews we saw after looking at the computer was from a girl who said the owner let himself into her room at 5am as one key fits all rooms!!!!!!!

Stay at your own risk!!

• Stayed October 2012

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After booking (not by internet) I found all these comments and expected the worst. Surprisingly it was even worse than the worst.

So, in the beginning I thought: Don't care-it can't be as worse as they describe it. But it is. And if you're still considering this location for your trip, just let it be!
I wouldn't have minded the dirt on the flower, the 20 dead moskitos on the wall, the broken toilet seat, the TV which didn't work or the dirty bed linen really. I didn't book a star-hotel so I knew it would not be perfect.

But this is a Bed&Breakfast - without breakfast. He told me that he never wrote on any page that the breakfast is included - when I looked it up it was written with coffee, toast and jam.
The "private bathroom" was in the end a shared bathroom.
The main door to the flat (yes, it is a flat in an old and not renovated building) is never closed.

And as others already mentioned: The "owner" tried to trick me. He came at 12 o'clock - midnight!!!!- in order to receive the money and then he wanted more money as confirmed. He told me that this would be the cheapest hostel in Pisa (it's not, I found others for the same price), that the price he confirmed me is too cheap. Although before he offered me a more expensive room in the other building they have closer to the Tower but with other conditions. In the internet I found my room for less money than he wanted now from me. To make it short: it all ended up that he was insulting me and telling me that I have a bad charakter and will never have a good life.

Room Tip: There is no good room in Via S. Maria 77
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Me and my friend stayed here for one night last week. First of all, we had trouble getting inside, because no one answered when we tried to ring the bell. Secondly, there was no sign telling us which floor this hostel was on, and the elevator was not working, so we had to drag our suitcases all the way up to the 4th floor, and back down again, where we finally found the hostel. After getting settled, the owner came by to collect our money for the night, and to give us some information about shopping and dining places, which was very helpful. The bed was hard, and it kept falling apart on one side during the night, so it was not possible for us to turn around. The bathroom was okay, although it was a little creepy to leave your room in the middle of the night to get there, since it was a couple of doors down the hall. We left all our stuff and did not come back until later that night. We went to bed 12.30, since we had an early plane to catch the next morning. But to our surprise, we were woken up at 1 o'clock by a a group of people laughing and banging the doors outside our room. They kept on doing that, until they left to continue drinking an hour later. We fell asleep again, and then at 4.30, the same thing happened, only this time it did not stop until 7 in the morning. Oh, and did I forget to mention that a man came in to our room at 5 in the morning? OH YES, apparently, you can unlock every room with the same key, isn't that fantastic? So after getting over that shock, our night sleep was pretty much ruined, and we stayed awake until 07.30, before we packed our stuff and got the hell out of there.

Room Tip: the hostel is located on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was 1 of the lucky 1s if you can say that. I happened to arrive while the girls were still doing their housekeeping duties & the owner was outside on his phone outside of the building. The girls did a great job in cleaning the hostel, however after that it was all downhill.

While checking in I was surprised to find that the cashier was the owners pocket & did not have enough change to give back to me. He showed me the room I would be staying in (booked a 3 bed female dorm) however, there were 5 beds, but didn't think anything of it as 2 of them were at the side appearing to be out of use. I spent the night alone in the room as nobody else checked in. However, with a B&B sign still outside the front door you could still hear the ringing of the door bell every hr or so, with no answer since there were no "staff" in the building.

The 2nd night, to my surprise there was a full room! I introduced myself to the 2 girls "mother & daughter" (who also booked the same room type as me), & found out later they were TOLD to sleep on the double bed. Later on the other 2 people occupying the room came back & to my surprise they were both men considering what I had book. It's not a huge deal as I have stayed in mix dorms before but to pay extra money for a smaller room and not get is annoying.

Later on that night, of course the 2 males made the night worse as they were drinking in the lobby/hallway & our room until the early hours of the morning.

Room Tip: Obviously this failed bed and breakfast turned hostel is still a failure and just a money grabber..d...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

It's a shame that I can't mark this establishment lower than a 1. It's absolutely awful. We were booked to stay here for 2 nights and when we arrived at 1pm we pressed the buzzer, and received no response for 3 hours we stood pressing the same buzzer and was completely ignored. We phoned every number we had for this "hotel" and each number we were met with a "this number is not in service" message. Eventually we decided we couldn't wait any longer in the middle of the streets with our suitcases any longer and decided to look for another hotel. When we caught up with this hotel later that same day they were of no help and told us they had no room for us regardless of the fact we had documentation from them confirming we did. The staff just shrugged and told us to go elsewhere. Awful hotel awful staff. GO ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pisa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Arrived around 9pm. The hotel did not look like a hotel and was closed but did have a plaque on the wall with a telephone number. We phoned the number and spoke to a woman in our broken Italian. After a while managed to find out that the key was hidden in a secret place that we had to look for. This was fine for us, but certainly would not have been for anyone with no Italian! Once we got through the doors and followed her instruction we found the room. This was fine. We were on the ground floor of an old building with flats above. Everything was very clean and tidy - It would have been good enough for a family of 5 - the shower room was great. This place was quiet at night but noisy in the early morning as it turned out it was quite a busy road with buses on during the day. Very near the Learning Tower so very handy. Restaurant we went to on this road was quite good. We had said we would check out at 9am but the member of staff did not come in until 10 so we could have slipped out without paying? We didn't.
For us, this was a great value hotel and just what we needed.

• Stayed May 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Have to say the location is excellent and within walking distance of everything you are likely to want to see in Pisa - we walked around the whole city. However..... "Nearby parking" for our car was at least 3 kilometres away. You will have a lot of steps to cart your suitcases up. The "concierge" is only on duty for a couple of hours late afternoon, after that you are on your own. We were in a room near the front door and were woken on several occasions by guests who had forgotten their keys, knocking loudly on the door in the small hours until someone let them in. The hotel ran out of toilet paper. Some of the front door keys are a bit "tricky" to get them to open the door - probably the very old lock is worn. Lots of laughs for your money really!

Room Tip: Probably stay somewhere else unless you are prepared for the inconveniences mentioned.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Relais Under The Tower? Share your experiences!