“Would Love To Go Back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 52 Specialty lodging in Lucca
London, United Kingdom
“Would Love To Go Back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had the most wonderful, relaxed and fun 4 nights at Villa Michaela. We particularly enjoyed the 'help yourself' approach to being a guest, whether that be drinking wine from the cooler, to having fun with the house dogs by the Villa pool.

Vanessa and Christina are the best hosts. The Villa is full of character, and if you are lucky enough to get to enjoy an aprertivo in the villa courtyard before dinner, you might also enjoy the many lively stories that come with the Villa's hosts. We love villa Michaela!!

Although lunch/dinner is not offered at Villa Michaela, you need not worry!You have the scrumptious Cucina Dello Scompiglio, nearby for lunch/dinner. It is fantastic Farm to Table Italian dining with a changing menu each day, and a great value set lunch menu. You must go, its wonderful!, its worth a visit in its own right.

Another HiLight is grabbing a massage or 3 from the Villa Masseuse, Amazing!!

We will be going back!

Lee and Natasha, Wimbledon. London

Room Tip: Room with the Jackuzzi
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

A short drive from Lucca, in the village of Vorno, amidst the lush, tree-covered hills which for centuries have been the source of Lucca's natural spring water, Villa Michaela became my home from home for a week.

I had a truly wonderful time there! Vanessa is a great host, the spacious grandeur of the villa won me over completely. The place has a vibrant life of its own, not a museum piece, and guests are welcomed most cordially. Large swimming pool, soft green lawns, shaded places in which to read and relax. Clean and well-kept rooms.

I work as a food journalist, so nearby Villa Lucia and its cookery school was of particular interest.

I needed to stay within easy reach of the major towns and cities of northern Tuscany, including Pisa and its airport, so Lucca was an ideal 'hub'. The ancient walled city of Lucca itself is one of my favorite places in Tuscany to visit - try the cecina (chickpea flour flatbread) and pizza margherita at the wood oven Pizzeria Sbragia on Via Fillungo, then stroll with an ice cream from any of the excellent gelaterias in town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

When a trip to China was cancelled at the 11th hour, I was in Italy I had to improvise at the 11th hour. Through a recommendation I arrived in Villa Michaela and was embraced by Vanessa, and fortunately for me her extended family, I arrived during her son's 19th birthday celebrations and the party continued from there. Villa Michaela became my base whilst my godchildren joined me, we explored Pisa on their arrival and then Lucca - 5 minutes from the house - and finally Florence before venturing further afield - always returning after a week or so and on each occasion we had such fun, from the local karaoke, something I thought I would never do - which was highly entertaining when up to 20 from the Villa participated! Dinners, which were delicious, could be 4 or 20 and on occasions were memorable in dining room with has 3 of the most spectacular chandeliers I have seen.
Villa Michaela is ideal for people who enjoy country weekend house parties in authentic period surroundings - perhaps not for those who like a sterile environment and expect International 5 star service. It certainly has my vote and my godchildren keep pestering me as to when they can return - with WiFi access and a Cinema room they considered it the best holiday they had ever had!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I flew into Pisa airport and was met by a driver that took me to Villa Michaela, high on a hill in the most charming countryside of Tuscany. The Villa is a very old restored property that made me feel like I was a princess in a fairy tale. Long lunches by the pool, with the other guests, dinners at nearby Villa's also owned by the same proprietors. My room had an awesome view of the hillside covered in Olive Groves, and at night you could see this enormous Cross all lit up at the top of the hill over looking our village. Just a 2 minute walk outside the gates of the Villa is a sweet town of Vorno, with an old historic church, bridges and a stream with the cleanest water. I noticed that people drove up from around the area to fill their water bottles with the local spring water. I enjoyed the pampering of the staff, they shopped personally for me, and made me my meals. We ate in superb dining rooms with antique chandeliers and such old world charm. I never wanted to leave Tuscany or Villa Michaela. I made many friends here, and we often went out singing at the local Karaoke bar together called Bimotto's, which is literally a half a block down the street. I also liked how close it was to go to the ancient walled city of Lucca. I joined other guests in day road trips to Montepulciano, the wine country of Tuscany. Each day I was served the best Italian Champaigns called Proseco. It was the best. The pool at Villa Michaela was something I dove into every day, as it gets quite hot in Vorno in July. The night offered a cool evening breeze, but I enjoyed sleeping mid day in my air conditioned room, with a much needed nap. I think the whole area is very much like Napa Valley in Northern California, which is where I am from. Simply elegant. There is also a chapel at Villa Michaela that had interesting historical value. I enjoyed going in there and sitting on the marble floors and soaking up the energy. The staff was very helpful in helping me get the most out of my trip to Italy, by suggesting places to go and see. The restaurant recommendations were out of this world. I highly recommend Scampilio restaurant if you visit Villa Michaela. The only problem with my trip to Tuscany was the 10 pounds I gained from eating such amazing pasta dishes. I am smiling, remembering each and every bite! A million thanks to Villa Michaela's staff, they really personalized my visit and made this the dream vacation of a life time. I highly recommend staying here over a hotel any day of the week. It's private, and takes you back in time and makes you feel as if you lived in Tuscany a few hundred years ago.... only much much better. I know they didn't have the luxuries then that this Villa now offers. I will go back again in this life time, and take someone I love. It's a very romantic get away that is not easily forgotten. I will take the memories of my time here with me for a life time.

Pamela Bryant
from Los Angeles, California

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Villa Michaela is an beautifull and historic villa , but thats were it ends. The whole villa is dirty , the bedding , matresses , pillows etc are disgusting and filthy. The soft furnishings have not been cleaned i would think in years. The carpets are stained and curtains are dusty and full of cobwebs.The grounds are un kept and the poolside area is in need of some care and the sunbeds old and broken. The staff can not speek english , i think they are polish and seem also to work on the ongoing building site within the villa grounds. So to sum up definitely not 5 star and definitely not worth the money !

• Stayed June 2010
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

This property is a gem and though it is wonderfully grand with acres of space both inside and out, it felt very intimate, warm and homely. Both we and our two labrador dogs were made to feel very welcome and we would recommend it to everyone who wants to stay in a beautiful Tuscan manor house that is delightfully peaceful and far away from lifes hustle and bustle. We can thoroughly recommend the main restaurant in Vorno if you love real Tuscan cuisine and there are of course a plethora of good restaurants in Lucca. Lucca is actually very accessible from Villa Michaela and such a stunning city that we visited it every day of our stay and would definitely return. It is far less touristy than Siena but just as beautiful.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ludlow, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We arrived at Villa Michaela on a hot summer’s evening, unaware of the experience awaiting us. The Villa was stunning and beautifully furnished, surrounded by idyllic gardens and pool. We were warmly greeted by the owner, Vanessa. My teenage children were pleased by the delightful company of other young people staying at the Villa and enjoyed the extensive facilities; tennis courts, pool table, home cinema to name but a few. Furthermore, the location was perfect - we were able to enjoy the picturesque village of Vorno and the ancient town of Lucca, a short 15 minute drive away. This was a truly memorable holiday, not only for the serenity and beauty of the Villa, but for the warmth and hospitality extended to my family. We shall return!

• Liked — The Beautifully furnished villa
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Michaela? Share your experiences!