“A wonderful hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 57 hotels in Lucca
Perth, United Kingdom
“A wonderful hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a gem and deserves 5 stars. We stayed for 3 nights, having travelled from Florence, and the peace and quiet was just what we needed. Fabulous location and very comfortable rooms - we were in the annex where the facilities were excellent. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The refreshments on offer during the day in the main hotel lounge provided a nice touch. Spotlessly clean throughout. I would love to return and will certainly recommend this hotel to friends who intend to visit the lovely city of Lucca.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Good morning,

we thank you for recommending Hotel Ilaria on line and for your kind review.
We are happy about your opinion and we hope to see you again.

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is a lovely hotel right in the centre of Lucca. The staff was very helpful. The parking is a bit restricted but we had no problems. Rooms are confortable and clean and breakfast was very nice. The only thing we missed was having a proper bar in the hotel to enjoy a drink before bed. All in all I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Good morning,

thank you for writing a positive review here on . We really apreciated it!
We are glad to read you liked staying with us.
We just would like to inform you that the reception is at your disposal also for the drinks, please if you come back don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much, we hope to see you again.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I adored this hotel. From the first impression at reception- to the room that far exceeded my expectations- I struck gold with finding this place in Lucca. The location was fantastic- I was able to walk both nights to restaurants recommended to me by the front desk. I stayed in the annex across the street from the main part of the hotel- and experienced a spotless room with extremely generous and helpful assistance from the bell hop. I enjoyed the breakfast both mornings- and took advantage of the bike rental included with my room. When I come back with my husband I plan to stay here again! Thank you! I included some notes and photos of my stay on my blog. http://thethreeunder.com/2013/04/lovely-lucca-italy/

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the annex! It was extremely quiet- and both nights I slept so hard I never woke up on...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for writing such a kind review!
We also checked your blog, it was nice reading about your holidays in Lucca and day trip to Pisa. We are glad to know you enjoyed and you apreciated our towns and our hotel.
All the staff is looking forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you so much!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were a group of 11 staying for 3 nights. I had stayed at this hotel before and my second stay was every bit as good as the first. I have visited Lucca on a number of occasions and I would always stay at the Ilaria if I return to Lucca.
Everything about the hotel is good, and this is not just my view, it was the view of all the others in the group also.
The staff are very welcoming and helpful, the rooms were spotless, the breakfast was good and the complimentary snacks up to 7pm were a great added extra!
The location of the hotel is ideal for exploring Lucca, and the hotel has the added bonus of an outside terrace which is lovely and something you won't find at other hotels within the walls of the old town of Lucca.
Local restaurants are nearby and we found them to be very reasonably priced.
Overall a fabulous stay and I will return whenever I visit Lucca again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the terrace are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Good evening,

many thanks for sharing your kind review on TripAdvisor. It was our pleasure reading it.
It is very rewarding opening TripAdvisor and finding reviews like yours.

Hope to see you again,

Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stay during the month of April in the building a block down from the main hotel. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The location was right at the gate to the old city and you could walk to the train station. There was parking for our car and you need only ask for it in advance and it was ready and waiting for you to take. The recommended restaurants were all excellent and the staff even arranged for a wine tasting trip and day trip to Davinci simply by over hearing a conversation.

We had such a great experiece we are going back in June and bringing other guests. This is a great hotel in the midst of a great city run by great people.

Room Tip: They had an excellent terrace area and hot tub.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Good evening,

thank you for sharing your opinion about our hotel and its staff.
We are happy to know you apreciated our services, it is a pleasure for us helping on making our guests stay more enjoyable we can.

Looking forward to welcoming you in June,

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a delightful hotel in a great location with dedicated employees, a pleasing ambiance all spoilt by a poor night’s sleep.

Ten of us held a meeting at the Ilaria over 3 days and we could not have been more impressed with the support and the friendliness of just everybody. The large meeting room is in a 14C deconsecrated chapel with its own 17C mural ~ what a great atmosphere. The hotel is really setup for small meetings like ours and solved every problem quickly and without fuss ~ impressive.

The bedrooms are less impressive, but adequate, nicely decorated. The only issue is the bed and the pillow (foam). Everybody in the group complained of poor sleep. Besides this the bathroom is small with a shower in the bath, but has good amenities.

Wifi is free but very variable and generally only good for light browsing and messaging. Forget rich media. We struggled to use Skype ~ an issue.

The breakfast (included in the price) is average, but good enough. Who needs breakfast any way. The food in Lucca is so good and filling that skipping a meal or two becomes de rigor after a day or two.

I suggest avoiding this hotel until this can deliver a good nights sleep and then you have a little gem.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the gardens at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on reviews on this site, but will rely on personal recommendations from now on. Travelling as a single woman, I was initially rather taken aback to have been put in a room that opened onto a terrace where other people were sitting and could see right into my room, as there were no proper curtains. The receptionist said that other people had liked the room and that it was nice and light, and when I pointed out the lack of privacy suggested I keep the blinds down, rather negating the 'nice and light' qualities. She did agree to change the room, though a smile and apology would have been nice.

The room itself was very bland - from the descriptions on this site I had been expecting something with some character, but this could have been any hotel room in any chain in the world. The 'air conditioning' blew out only warm air even when set to 0 degrees. The bathroom sink had a cigarette burn on the side, despite this being a no-smoking room. The bed - I had read here that the beds were firm and hadn't really thought anything of it. Firm is a massive understatement - sleeping on the floor wouldn't have been any worse. The mattress was completely unyielding, and I had hardly any sleep my first night. The next morning, my back was so painful that I was unable to walk for more than half an hour at a time, meaning I spent most of my only day in Florence on the sightseeing bus. After that, I hit on the idea of using a couple of the pillows to cushion myself, which helped a little, but not hugely as they were somewhat old and flat, so I never had more than 4 hours' sleep any of my remaining nights. A proper bedcover would have been nice as well, rather than the single sheet and blanket provided.

The walls were very thin and I could hear everything going on in neighbouring bathrooms, which was rather unpleasant, as well as other people's conversations and TVs. Despite the information pack listing English language news channels on the TV, these were not available. The website also stated that an airport shuttle was available on request; when I enquired about this, I was told there wasn't one, and that they could arrange a taxi for me for €70!

The breakfast was very basic, with no waitress service, and hot drinks available from a machine! Surely in Italy it should be possible to have fresh coffee for breakfast? I have have better breakfasts in a well-known motel chain in the UK, and even basic B&Bs there provide freshly-cooked hot breakfasts to order. I should add that I am widely travelled and have stayed in many hotels all around the world as well as in these more basic ones in the UK, and lived abroad for many years as well, so I am speaking from personal experience. I have no idea how the Ilaria has come by its 4 stars - I stayed in a B&B in Pisa the night before which was so much better (Il Mattino, in case you're interested in booking somewhere - can thoroughly recommend - lots of character, friendly, personal service, and sparkling clean).

Really the only thing good about this hotel was its location, which was handy for the town, though as it's a small town I'm sure many others would have been as useful. Other than that, it provided somewhere to stay, was reasonably clean (though dusty) and the bathroom was fine.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Ilaria? Share your experiences!