“Tuscany at it's finest!! Location suberb!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Albergo Villa Casanova

Save Saved
You added Albergo Villa Casanova to your Saves list
Albergo Villa Casanova
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via di Casanova 1600 | Localita Balbano, 55100 Lucca, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 58 hotels in Lucca
Long Island, New York
“Tuscany at it's finest!! Location suberb!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We recently, 2 weeks ago, stayed at your beautiful Villa in Lucca. Our trip to Tuscany was 10 days long. We stayed at your Villa 3 nights. The stay with you was the highlight of our trip. If we had to do it all over again, we would have stayed more nights with you. Your villa, the food, the service, our room, the location….all was top notch and most accommodating. Michela, your reception manager, is truly one of the nicest we have ever met.

My family is from Lucca generations back, and now all my family lives in NY. It makes me smile to think of how warm and pleasant are the peoples in your area.

As I mentioned, Michela was exceptional and one of your most tremendous assets. One day, we had trouble with our credit card during the day…when we arrived back at the hotel in the evening, it was Michela that helped us through the mess and was pleasant through it all. She is topnotch and should be commended.

It is rare that I (we) feel so strong about a stay, but, please note that we will be back to stay at your villa, and we will be sure to make sure that it will be a longer one.

You succeeded on all counts to make our Tuscany trip A+.

THANK YOU>>> UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN.

Room Tip: choose valley view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in May (I have just been converted
to doing reviews as I have found them so useful when booking other trips!).

My stay surpassed all my expectations and was definately 5 star. I was in need of some peace and quiet to recharge my batteries and have the space to make some big decisions. It definately delivered this.

Being a solo traveller on crutches I found the service just right - not 'in your face' but the staff recognised if I needed help. No access issues however a few steps.

The location, suite and food were truly unforgettable for all the right reasons.

I would recommend the opportunity to hone pasta making skills with the chef... great reviews from my diner guests!

The only adverse comment I would make is in relation to the small dining area - the weather changed while I was there so had two evenings eating alfresco which was great - however on the first night the restaurant felt very cramped.

Hopefully back next May

A big thank you to Marianne. Please pass my thanks to your team.

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The proprietors of this lovely villa are getting everything right. The rooms are beautifully appointed. The service is impeccable. We left feeling that we had been part of the family. The setting is gorgeous and there is plenty to do at the hotel (wine tasting, tennis, walking, horseback riding, a pizza making class, swimming, for example) as well as in the surrounding area. Lucca is a beautiful city with a wall around it which is wonderful for bike riding (on top of the wall, that is), as well as plenty of shops and restaurants. There are vineyards in the area as well. The hotel recommended Montechiari where we had an informative tour as well as a delicious lunch with plenty of wine for a reasonable price. We will go back to Albergo Villa Casanova, definitely! (Note that it is a little hard to find even with GPS so get specific directions from the hotel. But when we got ridiculously lost and arrived at 1 a.m., Adele, one of the owners was waiting for us and they served us wine and a charcuterie even at that hour!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is a delight. The owner Marianne welcomed us and her standard of service and attention to detail is imparted to all the staff who really care about their role in building this hotel to the high star rating it is.
Suites are luxury and every price level is value for money. Choose a balcony if your budget stretches to it but you will not be disappointed with the lower priced suite if it does not.
Breakfast is relaxed with plenty of choice and Dinner is fine dining also in a relaxed style. Because of the rural location we ate every night in the hotel. Who wants to drive to a far away restaurant when one driver is unable to experience the Tuscan wine? Food in the hotel is good and no more expensive than any equivalent restaurant serving quality food in Lucca. Our trip was in October but the joy of being able to eat round the pool in July/August under the stars must be magical. Perhaps a summer return for us.
We would recommend private transfer by Mercedes car (booked by the hotel) if flying in to Pisa. Driving is not easy in Italy. We hired a car in Lucca for 7 days arranged in Britain and did not regret doing it this way as it is best to get the smallest car you can with sometimes narrow roads to negotiate.
The views from this hotel are wonderful and you certainly escape any stress you may have in your everyday life.
Book and Enjoy.

Room Tip: Try and request looking over the valley to Lucca
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Albergo Villa Casanova is a magical place to stay. It is refined, but not pretentious. Our rooms were elegant, clean, extremely spacious with wonderful views of the Tuscan landscape – fantastic, comfortable beds and amazing bathtubs and showers and excellent air-conditioning. My husband and I stayed in one room and our two daughters ages 8 and 10 stayed in another room across with a private hallway between us for 6 nights in August 2012. The attention to detail at the villa was extraordinary from the lovely towels in the marble bathrooms to the white chocolate almonds left on a napkin on our bedside tables every evening after turndown.

The service at the villa was first class. It has a luxurious feel yet at the same time the owners have created a casual feel that works for families or couples alike. We couldn’t wait for the wonderful breakfasts in the morning. My favorite was the homemade granola and the cappuccinos. The owner even remembered to send me the recipe for the granola. We can’t say enough about how warm and hospitable the owners and staff were with our family.

We spent several days by the pool in the mornings or late afternoons and found the atmosphere very beautiful and relaxing. This is a villa for families as well as couples spending their holiday without children. The location is perfect. just 10 minutes from Lucca, 30 minutes from Pisa and 30 minutes from Forte di Marmi. Lucca is now one of our favorite spots in Italy. We drove in to hear Puccini being performed nightly at a beautiful church in the center of the walled city. Restaurants and shopping in Lucca were plentiful and the owners of the villa have recommendations of where to eat and shop.

We did a wine tasting at the villa that we enjoyed and learned from the chef how to make authentic pizzas. Very fun and something you can ask for when booking. We also had a lovely formal dinner at the hotel on the villa’s patio and for two nights we stayed and joined the owners for a casual evening with their chef creating pizzas in their wood fired stone pizza ovens. We loved the rosemary focaccia. All the staff is magnificent – owners, chef, sommelier, waiters, etc.

The only drawback is the “connected rooms”. Due to the private hallway between rooms, we would only recommend this for families with older children. If you have small children, there is plenty of space to have beds put into the lounge area of the room. This still provides space and privacy as the sitting room and main bedrooms are separated.

We can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I wish I could award more than 5 stars to this hotel, because it provided a fantastic 'experience' beyond what I've ever encountered on vacation. I recently stayed here for 5 nights with my family prior to returning to the sometimes-chaos at home and it was absolutely everything I needed to relax and enjoy the company of my family. As a long distance runner, I can attest to the incredible setting - 12 kilometers from Lucca, this enchanting villa is an ideal starting point for challenging hill training up to the gorgeous peaks of Massaciuccoli. Every morning jaunt was met with the startlingly beautiful fog rising off Castle Nozzano in the distance. The staff was remarkably warm and helpful and I found the breakfast always arrived hot and offered a variety of choices and plentiful portions (which is saying a lot as a runner with a healthy appetite). The owner was kind enough to share an aperitif with us our first evening at the hotel, an offer I've never received at any of the other '5 star hotels' the disheartened viewers below refer to. The rooms are exquisite - spacious and tastefully decorated with expansive bathrooms, and our balcony opened up to what felt like all of Tuscany. Every evening I found a delicious chocolate and new water bottle by my bed. If you want a checklist-driven itinerary minded vacation, than maybe this isn't the place for you, but if you want to relish in the splendor of the Tuscan hillside by a lovely pool with a good book in hand and charming service, I can't recommend Albergo Villa Casanova enough! The only drawback of the entire vacation was that the pool was a little cold, but the owner is looking into solar paneled heating and I'm sure I would have appreciated the chill had I come during the 100+ degree heat in August.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We received a nice welcome and our first impression of the hotel was good -especially after seeing our room(or should I say suite!) and the lovely view!!
The Dining room was smaller than expected and despite there being only 4 guests in the restaurant that evening we were placed so close to the other table that the waiter's jacket brushed against my husband every time he walked past.
That said the meal was superb and the service was very good.
Breakfast the following morning was not as good as expected following the previous evening's dinner.The young staff seemed inexperienced and very nervous -spilling my coffee all over the saucer!The buffet breakfast was laid out on a table that was completely uncovered -open to flies etc which surprised us.The food quality was very good but we didn't feel that the overall experience was the 5 star standard that we had enjoyed at dinner the previous evening.
Sadly the weather was not condusive to a swim in the infinity pool which looked out over the beautiful countryside with Lucca in the distance.The grounds were nice and there were tables & chairs well positioned to enjoy the views.
It was a shame that the hotel was so empty as that meant there wasn't much atmosphere.The suite was superb-with a lovely sitting room, comfortable bedroom (both having massive flatscreen TV's)& spacious bathroom with a fab shower.Dinner was excellent-breakfast nice but not 5 star.Overall it was a lovely hotel -perfect for a special occasion but don't think it is value for money .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Albergo Villa Casanova? Share your experiences!