“hidden gourmet treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 443 Restaurants in Livorno
Cuisines: Italian, Chowder, Soups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Locale rustico accogliente ed elegante cucina tipica toscana . Il locale e situato nel quartiere di ardenza Livorno, dove anticamente sorgeva una fiaschetteria, dopo diverse gestioni ed aver cambiato nomi : Al 77,da Carlotta, Faraoni ad oggi "La Madia", gestito da 10 anni dai patron Maria Rosa Chegai chef di origini Francesi e Fernando Solito sala di origini salentine. Dal connubio delle diverse culture, prodotti e sapori e nato un locale dall'impatto molto caldo e accogliente ma nello stesso tempo elegante, dove i gestori vi fanno sentire da subito a casa propria per degustare svariati piatti principalmente a base di pesce e deliziandovi con dei dolci fatti in casa il tutto in una atmosfera romantica.
florence
“hidden gourmet treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I were taken to lunch at La Madia by friends two days before Christmas. We live in Florence and the restaurant is in Livorno, about an hour's drive away. It was a grey, rainy day but when we entered La Madia and were greeted by Fernando, it felt as if the sun had come out. Maria Rosa, the chef, came out to say hello, too. We already felt welcome. The restaurant has two smallish rooms with about twelve (?) tables in all. Comfortably elegant furnishings. The menu: it was clear from the beginning that choosing was going to be the hardest thing about this day. We opted for the mixed antipasti and little did we know what a wise, wonderful choice we'd made. As we waited, Fernando brought us some tasty spiced toasted bread. And then the antipasti started coming ... four bits on each plate, one for each of us ... and coming and coming and coming. Each one even better than the previous, though the breaded mussel plate was probably my favorite (even though I don't usually eat or like mussels!). All the other dishes (first and second courses) were delicious and the desserts are a work of art, but the next time I go back. I'm going to concentrate on the antipasti!
My husband and I felt as if we'd had an early Christmas, both because of the food and because Fernando and Maria Rosa, two exceptional people who love what they do (and it shows!) in an out-of-the-way hidden gourmet treasure of a restaurant. It costs about €50-60 per person, with wine, but it is definitely worth it if you want to taste real fish prepared superbly.

• Visited December 2012