“Hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

After a day in Pisa we ended up at this osteria. Although there was a long queue we got quickly served with great local specialties.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food and real Italian experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We went to Livorno or Leghorn as my dad calls it since my dad wanted to visit the place he was at so much during WWII. This was a quaint restaurant with good food and they are known for their sandwiches. We were fortunate enough to get there early. They do not have a menu - you eat what the chef decides to cook that day. It was a fun time with friendly people and we were able to spend some time with the locals.

• Visited March 2013
Carlton, OR
“Very happy ending to a fun day in Livorno”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We wandered around Livorno for a day and really enjoyed the waterfront park with its striking black-and-white promenade. It was about 25 minutes to walk back into the hisorical center of town for this restaurant, but it was on the way back to the train station anyway, so it was on the way.

I can't say enough good about this tiny restaurant. Three weeks later and I haven't forgotten the most tender octopus in a delicious red sauce over homemade pasta. And it's one of those places where they just plunk a gallon of wine on your table with some glasses. I don't know how - or if - they charge you for what you drink, wine never appeared on our very reasonable bill (37 euros for dinner for 2 with wine and coffee afterward) but everyone else in the restaurant had the same setup... The friendly staff didn't speak too much English but enough, and I had a mental workout trying to remember the evening's offerings but honestly, I could have just said yes to anything he said and it would have been amazing if the dishes my husband and I tried were any indicator.

The only difficulty we had was that we had hoped to catch an early train and wanted an early dinner. We could have eaten in the front where they offer sandwiches during the day but were dying to go into the back where the restaurant sat, so we had to wait for a more traditional Italian opening time of 7:30.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Todos Santos
“Local Gem in Livorno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

When my friend and I learned we were too late starting out on our originally planned excursion to the villages of Cinque Terre, we decided to spend the day in Livorno. Walking around we were happy to discover their open market, which was full of fun fashion and accessories besides all the wonderful fish, fruits, breads, olives, and other assorted foods. We asked a local cab driver for a restaurant recommendation for lunch, and set out to try to follow his directions to a busy plaza nearby. When we found this dark, little place, I was immediately aware that tourists probably never walk in here. It was fantastic, and turned out to be a wonderful highlight of our trip. We were immediately led up a few steps at the back of the restaurant, past counters full of tasty looking food to go....and scattered tables buzzing with locals, to a charming wood paneled dining room. Tables were scarce and every inch was taken, jamming them together, and we loved it. It also made for easy conversation with whoever was sitting next to you, and these are the unexpected experiences that enrich your time. Our waitress was very helpful, even though she spoke no English. There were lots of fish dishes to choose from...this being a fishing town, as well as other traditional dishes of the area, and plenty of pasta pasta, pasta. We had their table wine, too, and I will never forget this little place, if only I could find it again someday, if I ever return. I'm sure, though, that all one has to do is ask a cab driver.

• Visited September 2012
Livorno, Italy
“real lighourne food and people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

if you want to see and taste the real lighourne, its traditions and the people's way of life you have to get here and eat something. A sandwich, big and full of what you or the guy doing it prefere: ham, sausages, vegetables, sauce...
Otherwise you can eat something at the osteria, seat down at a table where other people can be, drink some wine and wait speaking with people around you of what had happened during the day. Firendly waiters, friendly customers and also friendly passers-by.... everyone is friendly there!
Good food, real, made with all the love and passion that city is able to use.
Miss it only if you don't want to talk to people or are afraid of having people you don't know right next to you.

• Visited March 2012