“Nice looking hotel and attractive roof garden” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Grand Hotel Palazzo

Save Saved
You added NH Grand Hotel Palazzo to your Saves list
NH Grand Hotel Palazzo
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Italia, 195, 57127 Livorno, Italy (Formerly Grand Hotel Palazzo)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #1 of 24 hotels in Livorno
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Nice looking hotel and attractive roof garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Classy looking hotel with ample parking possibilities. Easy to find by car. Nice roof garden with a terrific oceanview. Too bad the roof garden maintained no Wifi, in the room Wifi was okay. Very attractive breakfastroom, also possible to eat outside on the beautiful terrace. Good choice of food at breakfast. We didn't find something to our liking to eat at the roof garden restaurant, but the drinks were okay. Very good service at reception. Nice that they let us check out late without costs. We would visit this hotel again next time in Livorno.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

406 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived early c. 12.30 and asked if we could check in, there was no room free (which was fine), however Reception staff we found to be rude and abrupt, did not offer to hold bags until room was free. Livorno - there is nothing of note to see here, I'd recommend to move on. The nh is centrally located but the surrounding area is poor-no eateries. Rooms are nice but the pool area is not relaxing and the photos on web sites makes the hotel looks alot better than it is in reality-needs some TLC,lick of paint, new towels and staff training. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2013
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Easy to arrive with secured parking space - gates will be closed over night. We got a quiet room as requested. Room was very clean, spacious with good comfort. Best was the pool on the roof which we enjoyed after the long journey. Our dinner we could enjoy from the roof garden - excellent food and stunning sunset - the promenade in front of the hotel and looking at the sea made the short stay just wonderful. We certainly would like to come back to this hotel - specifically when we do the ferry crossing to corsica again.

Room Tip: for quiet room you need to ask for it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed one night in Livorno en route from Bologna to Rome (decided to break up the trip by visiting the coast for one night).

This hotel was great, beautiful reception area, loved the rooftop pool and watching ships pass by. Staff were friendly, and helpful. I was surprised at some of the negative reviews, we didnt find it a negative experience. Staff even let us stay in the pool area after checkout as our train didnt leave till 5pm, which meant we got two days at the pool out of a one night stay, much appreciated!

The hotel is about 15 mins taxi ride from the train station. The bathroom was large with separate shower and bath. The bed was comfortable and design was opulant, if not too over the top (strong colours not my preference, but hotel was beautiful nonetheless).

The downside was that the internet was not working, and also the TV. This was a shame as we were hoping to book some tours for rome. The PC in the lobby was offered, but didnt appeal.

Breakfast was fabulous with many fruits, juices, breads, yoghurts offered. Great array of food to choose from.

Livorno itself is hard to get information on as to visit or not. We chose it as a random place to see. There are paid beaches across the road (no sand, just concrete platoons to rent a sunbed on and ladders to get into the water). But the hotel pool kept us quite happy (though if I'd stayed longer I would have had a swim in the sea). Tourists mainly come from the cruiseships that port there (big ones at that). Other than that it seems that many tourists are from italy itself. We enjoyed walking around for a few hours to get a sense of town, it is apparently one of the poorest areas of italy, but we felt safe, despite evidence of homelessness/poverty. There are quite a few casual restaurants on the street outside NH. We ate at Braceria Al Mare Livorno Pizza, cheap meal, great pizza and it reminded me of the beach resorts in Calabria, many families and large groups eating together. Great woodfire pizzas. Livorno was nice to visit for a 'sit by the pool' kind of trip, if I stayed any longer I probably would have done a day trip to pisa, or otherwise stayed at

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HERTFORDSHIRE UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This is indeed a Grand hotel. It's a little out of the central area but that's no bad thing in Livorno. An impressive facade shows the grandeur of the place . Decor is elegant and the common areas exude class with their sophisticated style. I was given a sea view room. It was large enough for my needs and would suit a couple no problem. The king sized bed was very comfortable and complimented by superb quality linens. Bathroom well equipped ie bath and shower. The toiletries are odd, pleasant enough but all very citrus based eg tangerine smelling hand soap...they smelt a little cheap. Towels soft and large. Overall the room reflected the rest of the hotel, high quality finish and furnishings. There is a busy road in front of the hotel but it wasn't intrusive as the windows are well glazed. The restaurant and bar are on the top floor and have a great view of the sea front. The bar is quite sterile , basic and a bit too bright. The restaurant was almost empty. There were only about four of us there but it is clearly more popular in high season. Prices are as high as anywhere in the region. I had a pasta dish and it was very good . Service was friendly and attentive . I didn't use the spa area but its on the top floor too . Breakfast was excellent lots of fresh fruit, European meats but also all other continental produce , cereals etc . great choice .There was a lot on offer despite the hotel not being busy, so they obviously take pride in this . As a business hotel,it's a great choice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room had a partial sea view and was very pleasant - quite large and well appointed. The bathroom toiletries were not up to 5 star standard, I was surprised that there was no hair conditioner for instance.

Breakfast was quite interesting and plentiful and taken in a beautiful hall. There is a great view from the roof top swimming pool. However, the pool is freezing.

The negatives of rhe hotel is its overpriced restaurant and the lack of service. On day 1 tried to get lunch and gave up. Day 2 a very self important waiter deigned to serve me. The food wasn't very exciting and very expensive. I would definitely not recommend it.

To sum up a very formal hotel with little atmosphere and a very over rated restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

If I could give this place 2 and a half stars I would, but I can't so 2 it is. I got back a few days ago, and I have to say this is my first time in an NH, and it will be the last! This hotel is not a 5 star hotel at all, it's a mid range 4 star. It was very expensive for what it was, and I got it on a deal. It is by no means terrible, just rather disappointing.
The other half an I were staying there for a couple of days after being in Lucca. The idea was to get a little bit of luxury and a little bit of sea in Livorno before heading home. Now I know Livorno is not everyone's cup of tea, lacking in churches and galleries. However it is a nice place to chill out, full of casual but rather good sea food restaurants and gelateria. The hotel managed to get on my bad side upon arrival. Not their fault at all, but the booking website advertised that there were smoking rooms here, there is not, and the only place to smoke is a corner of the roof terrace. No one offered to help us with our bags, which I found a bit odd, and very little is explained to you on check in (breakfast times, wifi codes etc).
Our superior double with garden view was rather shabby. The view was straight into a set of flats next door, the paint work was tired, and there was lots of buttons missing from the headboard. Easy fixes if you're running a 5 star hotel. We checked in at 3 pm, OH wasn't feeling great so we ordered room service. We were told that the kitchen was closed, so we could only have the over priced salad, lasagne or pizza. OH had lasagne, it was terrible. When we called to ask them to take the tray away (as instructed), we got the same angry gentleman we'd ordered from, who hung up on me, leaving us with the tray until the room was cleaned the next day. OH took a bath, the bath handle that supports those with mobility issues or poor balance broke clean off the wall as he tried to get out. I reported this to reception, they just shrugged and sent someone to take the handle away. What if he'd been an elderly person with a bad hip? As I said, shabby.
A big thing I would say is DO NOT EAT IN THE RESTAURANT. It is pricier than any other restaurant in Livorno and pretty awful. Service is non existent (half an hour wait til they took our order), some fish is frozen (the sea is right there!) and for 28 euros I had a mixed salad (which was just a bag of salad undressed) and he had some tomato and spaghetti (suspiciously hot in the centre, microwaved?). Refused to order wine or desert, did not think they deserved our cash.

There are good things about this hotel. The roof top pool (though freezing, and I've been in the sea in Cornwall in April, I'm not exactly delicate) is small but very striking with it's view over the sea. The location is okay, you can easily get a bus into town or walk to the nicer places on the south side of Livorno. Breakfast is fine, I've had better at cheaper hotels, but there's lots of choice, including some gluten free stuff, which is pretty impressive. The building is very lovely, and I imagine the sea view rooms are great. It is probably fine for business travellers. . It just isn't a 5 star experience by any stretch of the imagination, and the staff need to learn a bit about customer service. I'm just disappointed with myself more than anything for not researching it more thoroughly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Grand Hotel Palazzo? Share your experiences!