The Vila San Michele is nestled in the hills of Florence and has the most spectacular views of Florence - easily the best I would say. It is enchanting. We stayed for one week with our two children - in the Orangerie House which has been newly refurbished and I can strongly recommend these rooms, as they are perfectly positioned to enjoy the incredible views - the gardens and of course they are newly refurbished and are very nicely decorated in soft creams and golds which are in keeping with the tradition of the hotel.
We used the shuttle to Florence on various occasions (with two young children in the middle of August), there are so many things to do in Florence, this is a service you will be using alot. It is simply excellent, on time, air conditioned with courteous staff providing cold water on our return and a refuge from the hot and busy streets of Florence. It felt wonderful being whisked away after a happy day sightseeing and taken to our retreat in the hills.
It is the perfect combination of a city break with the opportunity to sleep and truly relax in the hills. The rooftop pool is maintained well, peaceful and has incredible views and a little restaurant providing pool service, lunch etc.
The restaurant and the staff were highly trained, but so warm and kind. Always saving our favourite table without asking, including our daughter's highchair - remembering to provide plastic cups. Overall the ambience was lovely, I think listening to the piano and enjoying the beautiful sunsets was one of the highlights for me. The food was good and on occasion very good. The chef made a wonderful mushroom rissoto for me with truffle oil which was excellent and always made such an effort for my children - which I really appreciated. Although I have to say if I were the hotel manager I would be thinking of hiring a world class chef, and attempt to make the restaurant michelin starred - it could easily be once of the most celebrated restaurants in the world given its location.
The gardens were so pretty, and we enjoyed a rather wonderful jazz night with canapes and champagne. Everything felt timeless. This concept is more appealing to us in many ways now, modern life is so busy and rushed.
On the last note, we were a family of four with little children (3 and 6) and I have to say it was a true family hotel - in the sense that our children were made to feel completely welcome and cared for. They loved playing with fairy Alice some afternoons and enjoyed the pool. The children's menu was well thought out, we appreciated the baby robes and slippers, the DVDs for an hour or two when we needed to be out of the sun and lots of small touches. It is right to have proper beds for the children with crisp linen sheets changed every day (Not always a given sadly in other hotels despite having a five star rating). It is a romantic hotel without a doubt - perfect for couples looking for a weekend away in Florence - the perfect spot for a proposal or some time together.
Overall a gentle, wonderful hotel with a heart with exceptional views and service levels. I would highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Florence. We will most certainly be going back.
- Also Known As:
- Villa San Michele By Orient-Express Hotel
- Villa San Michele By Orient-Express Hotel Fiesole
- Hotel San Michele
- San Michele Hotel
- Villa San Michele Fiesole, Province Of Florence, Italy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the surviving fresco of the Last Supper to the terraced gardens and pool, Villa San Michele is a feast for the eyes. In the 15th century it was a monastery, today it is one of Europe's most fascinating hotels. A Renaissance Villa, a perfect view of Florence. The finest resort from which to appreciate the city of the Medicis via the comfortable complimentary shuttle that in just 15 minutes links the Villa to the shop windows, the art, the museums. Dining at the Loggia Terrace will be one of the most romantic experiences of your entire trip. Don't leave without learning the secrets of Italian cuisine at the hotel's cookery school, where hands-on lessons are taught by famous Chefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Expedia and Otel so you can book your Villa San Michele reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.