“Well and truly stuffed” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
tyne and wear united kingdom
“Well and truly stuffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our starters were enormous, our own fault I suppose, and delicious. It was therefore a struggle to finish our main course. A curious event happened when someone collapsed in the street outside and we rushed out to help and stayed out with her whilst waiting for an ambulance. The waiter then came out to tell us our main course was ready- I think they could have handled that with more sensitivity and empathy! That's why I am giving three stars for service. We left her with another couple who had also come out to help, and then felt guilty for going back to eat our food. The menu is very good, the prices are very good and the house wine was robust and fruity.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Hearty food, hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really enjoyed the night, my wife had a bad experience, choosing poorly. My wild boar stew and raspberries in red wine were very tasty. The meatballs & pica and ricotta torte were both quite dry. Excellent wine (and very reasonable) plus good service. I would err toward a four, had last nights meal at Reggia not been exceptional.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Superb cooking at excellent prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed in Fiesole for five nights, and other than a wedding on one night ate here every evening. Fillet in chianti and honey (twice), wild boar stew and rabbit, chicken and lamb stew - all cooked technically excellently and presented just how I imagine the wonderful Tuscan lady cooks for her family at home (if she ever takes a day off)!

There is a short menu that stayed the same, and also a considerably longer version that changes on a daily basis - I presume with availability of produce.

Breads to start with are great, smart starters too (ricotta souffle etc). There is little seafood, but all meats are fresh, expertly prepared and in substantial portions. Vegetarian options are there. Wine and beer are at very fair prices. Desserts too are wonderful.

The best complements I can give are that if I lived in Fiesole full time I would need a personal trainer just so I could eat here daily. Also, I would have been happy to pay more - very rare for me!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Rustic, true Italian food at its very best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Fiesole to explore Florence and in addition found a gem of a little town on the hilltops with this excellent restaurant located in the main square. Although it opened at 7pm this particular evening and we were already starving, we decided to sit in the main square just opposite and wait sitting on a bench, watching the sun setting and the world go by before we ate. It was well worth the wait! A rustic interior, very welcoming, very nice and quiet, attentive waiter who we think may have been the owner gave us space and time to eat leisurely and not feel pressured to go. We ordered mains with a bread basket - I had a veggie option of a lovely broccoli pasta and my husband had a (very adventurous for him) rabbit tortellini with a rich sauce which he adored. Just the right portion size - not too big, not too small, plus you can have the bread to fill up on if you need to. Lots of choice on the menu. We only had water but weren't made to feel silly for not having the obligatory wine. We left a tip for what was a lovely evening, romantic setting, excellent food and all just a short walk from our hotel. Recommend to all who love true Italian country food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A Tuscan treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We lived in Fiesole for three months and were regular visitors to l'Polpa. Typical Tuscan food and an extremely friendly staff. Worth a visit, but be sure to book. We will return for the wild boar pasta the next time we are in Tuscany.

• Visited June 2013