“Renaissance Palace” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 461 hotels in Florence
LAS + CPH
“Renaissance Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days on a short vacation break. We are pretty hard to impress when it comes to hotels, but i'd say that the Four Seasons in Florence is a gem. I really was not too sure about what to expect. I try to avoid overly fussy "old fashioned" hotels and try to opt for the more modern and clean feel. The hotel decoration is really not the style I personally prefer, but it really did "work" in this very impressive setting. The entrance from the outside is very low key (similar to the FS in Milan) but nothing else was like the FS in Milan - luckily. Service and amenity wise its closer to FS Geneva (which is really the hotel I measure all FS's to) in the sense that everything was very well thought thru. The staff was obviously professionals, and not new to neither high end hotel business, nor the values of Four Seasons. What I was really impressed with was the gardens and pool area. They are in every way the heart of the hotel, and very much very hard to copy in Florence. I know a lot of people here have commented on the location. In my experience the walk from the hotel to the Arno river is 10 minutes. The roads are a bit bleak and dodgy, but also very authentic and in reality very safe. There are amazing buildings, Palazzos, churches and squares, in every direction and Florence is so small, that you will never really get lost. The local restaurants are excellent as well, an very very cheap compared to the hotel venues. (albeit also very "local").

We tried out room service extensively and the eating venues. We had a minor mishap at one of the breakfast servings and another mishap at one of the lunch servings. Considering the fairly simple foods in question, it shouldn't have happened, but everything was rectified fairly quick. The smaller al fresco restaurant by the pool was my personal favourite. Very simple, but also high quality at the same time. Staff there was generally well trained and very easy to communicate with. We did experience a couple of staff members, that were perhaps new or very local, that messed up a couple of minor things, but in the broader perspective, i'd go again without a doubt.

The Pool area itself was for me brilliant. Small,quiet and certainly well maintained. The poolside service was excellent. I like a more personalized service approach, as many of the "scheduled" events such as coffee/icecream mix, fruit, cold towel, sunglass polish (silly), Cold water spray (even more silly) were a bit mechanical. The general layout of the gardens more than made up for any negatives.

The rooms were, as mentioned before, not really in the design style I personally prefer, but I can appreciate the amount of work put into the designs and furnishings. I did experience a couple of minor hiccups. First of all, the carpet in our junior suite was really past its last sell-by date. It had every imagineable spots on it. Of course it was cleaned (multiple times by the look of it), but the stains were pretty obvious. The bathroom also had a few minor issues. The in-wall shower had some sort of drain issue resulting in a very stale smell. Also a couple of the floor tiles were working themselves loose. Cleaning was "OK", but not on a FS:Geneva or FS:Park Lane level at all. As others have mentioned the staff are "hesitant" at replenishing the various soaps and conditioners, which seemed very out of sync with the FS brand. In my opinion the lack of bath-salts, more "complex" luxury bath products, was a bit of a let-down compared to a lot of other FS properties. In my experience the TV/AV system was sub-par. A lot of the UK/US channels had noticeable lag and broke up badly. Others worked fine. The system seemed to be of an older vintage.

I know a few reviews here have mentioned the location difference between being in the Conventino or the main building. In my opinion the main building did have the very tall ceilings, and full service offerings, but also had a very confusing layout and a very large portion of the rooms had little or no sun (ours had none). It did seem that most of the families with children were over at the Conventino. Personally, I would not hesitate to try the conventino location if you can secure a room with some direct sunlight.

Altogether, the FS:Florence certainly has a lot of the important details right. The location is great, the pool area is great. It has the historical cache, and its a professionally run setup. The issues we experienced were minor, and considering that we are in Italy, I was surprised that the FS management was able to execute such high standards. As with most hotels, there is room to improve, however. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

733 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The hotel, the park, the staff and service.... simply unsurpassed. Possibly the most magical hotel we have ever stayed in. We stayed in the Convento wing and while smaller than the main building, it is fabulously private and quiet. Worth every penny

• Stayed August 2013
FSFlorence, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Firenze, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure for us to read your words emphasizing our hotel amenities, expecially the Conventino, a formed villa of the 15° century, converted into a convent in the 16° century. It is undoubtedly the most "magical" part of the urban resort we are proud to run.

The Conventino is intimate and private and, as you highlighted, an oasis of peace and tranquillity where feeling pampered and looked after by our attentive staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future I send you my best regards.
Palo Alto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

A great choice, particularly for families. Could not have a more perfect location. Rooms are luxurious (maybe a bit too "renaissance" for our taste, but very, very nice nonetheless and very spacious). The pool is a beautiful and we made great use of it as a nice break from all the other activities Florence has to offer. Not as flexible with breakfast timing as some of the other hotels we stayed in on this trip, but then much larger as well so it is understandable. The Concierge at the hotel was truly excellent. The restaurant recommendations were top notch, particularly when we were able to talk about the options instead of relying solely on the handout provided. The recommended guides, help with transport options and just generally dealing with us and making us happy was terrific. Staff went out of their way to ensure the whole family was taken care of - even led us up to the cuppola to watch fireworks. If I have one complaint, it is the bill. It's not that it's expensive (the hotel is expensive, but not as expensive as other comparable options or even as expensive as some other hotels we stayed in on this trip), but that there were a lot of little things that came up on the bill that I did not expect. I did not really notice this at the time we checked out because we were late and rushed, but I did notice it later. It's my own fault for not raising it with the hotel when we were there. It is, however, the only hotel we stayed in on this trip where I'm left with this lingering feeling. That said, I would still recommend the hotel very highly. The combination it offers is hard to beat in Florence.

Room Tip: for families, adjoining rooms are a must given the size of the hotel. Our overlooked the street. T...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This one is really a different Four Seasons member as far as the architecture. The hotel is just great in a big green land, with very high room ceilings and probably the biggest standard room I have stayed in almost like a suite, with all Four Seasons luxury included. There is no need to talk about the level of service, the breakfast and the staff, I have never witnessed something negative about these aspects in a Four Seasons hotel. Same goes with this one, all of them are perfect. There are only two things you should consider here. First, you are around 15 mins walk to dowtown and Duomo. Some people consider it as a plus to be a little far from the crowds and noise but on contrary some people want to be within 5 steps of all the attractions. If you are in the second group, consider 15 mins walk mentionned. Second part is the spa, which is the strange part of this hotel, it is located in a different building in the same street. So, think again before getting out of the room with your bath clothes and slippers. I did this on February so it was not pleasant in that weather. This might be the only negative thing I can mention, surely you do not expect the spa to be outside in a Four Seasons.
Other than this detail, I really do not see any reason for not being happy in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is one of the places that you will never forget...it is beautiful, historical, romantic, green, with all the comforts, friendly and helpful staff...the food is absolutely great....the best breakfast ever...what else i need to say...i want to live there...if possible in the Villa (nos 700)!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We (my family) just returned from our trip to Florence and the Four Seasons yesterday. It really was one of the best hotel stays we've ever had. My sister and I had a bright, spacious twin room - so gorgeous and relaxing to be in - in the Conventino building. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, as is the pool. The gym is excellent. Every member of the staff was incredibly helpful and cheerful, in particular Benedetta at breakfast who was wonderful and remembered our order every morning, the concierge staff (including a trainee concierge who gave us great restaurant recommendations and were so helpful in booking tickets for various things), the housekeeping staff and Dmitri by the pool. In general, the service was impeccable and the property beautifully maintained.

I'm surprised at some of the reviews I read below. I noticed that people complained about things like not getting extra perks like treats for their kids constantly or free gifts. What more do you really want than a spotlessly kept room, on point assistance from housekeeping and the concierge, and fresh fruit, water and ice every day? To my mind people who complain about these things have an insane sense of entitlement. The 'basics' that this hotel offers are more than worth the price. I also noticed people getting persnickety about getting a room in the Conventino building rather than the main building - so what? The rooms were great. Anyone who had a bad stay because the insecurity of not having the absolute best room kept them up at night has more issues than a hotel can deal with. Also, no one was snobby or made us feel less than welcome. So all of these things were, in our experience, untrue.

2 things to know: the hotel is not bang smack in the middle of the action, but it's a very easy 5 min walk to the Duomo, so don't worry too much about the location. Also, the shower is kind of hard to figure out how to turn on. Also a yellow jacket wasp menaced us each morning at breakfast when we sat outside, which I think amused the waitstaff because we were so disproportionately terrified. Apart from that, perfect.

We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel while dropping our daughter off to begin her studies at university.
We drove to the hotel, and I will say that driving in Florence is more than a little confusing, with lots of one way streets, but as soon as you know that it's cake.
The entrance is hidden, and when we arrived I was really frustrated (due to above getting lost etc.). I was a little bit irritated because the doorman/valet/welcome committee gentleman asked us to please move the car out of the way instead of getting in and driving it away himself as I thought he was going to do, but chalked this up to mis-communication as he was perfectly pleasant in every other way. Also, I felt kind of bad because I didn't tip at this point - but that was because the parking charge is EUR 55 per day and we had to move the car out of the way ourselves etc. etc. I know that parking in Italy is anyway a sore point and extremely, outrageously expensive in every village so wasn't surprised, but also don't want to give rewards for it either.

After this bump, everything else was better than wonderful. Check-in was really really nice, we were upgraded to a junior suite which was lovely, with a pretty view over the park-like gardens of the hotel grounds. As you can imagine, the hotel is lovely and chic, and choc-a-bloc with Americans which really surprised me. If you are from the US and want to feel at home away from home, this is a great place to come. No one could speak Italian, though, which was kind of sad - but everyone who works in the hotel speaks excellent English as well as many other languages so no worries about being misunderstood in a foreign land.
There are two restaurants on the property but we only stayed one night and went to the more casual one, which was outstanding. We had drinks outside (my bellini's were amazing! and my husband had a dark artisanal beer which he really enjoyed), and at dinner on the terrace the pizza was of course sublime and the tomato soup was actually the best I have ever had -so thick, it was more like a pasta sauce, with chunks of cheese inside it... great.
Breakfast also good, cappuccino perfect as it should be in the place it was invented, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and we did not experience any bad service at all, a surprise for me in Italy (sorry, guys. I love you but had many bad experiences in your country until this visit). The best was check-out; we were very worried and sad to say goodbye to our daughter, and the ladies behind the counter were so nice, so supportive that I almost cried. They were both from Florence and they said that it was not only a beautiful and historic city but also small and safe, and that Florentines are well known for their hospitality, once you get to know them. Sounds like the Swiss, where we live, so I felt better...
Yes, we will definitely go back, not only because our daughter is there but because the Four Seasons Florence is a good mix of an international hotel chain (you know what to expect with things like bedding and bathroom fixtures, etc.) and the special touches of being in a city unique to its place on earth (Florentine bath products, extra special friendly people, outstanding food and location unlike any other place on earth).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Firenze? Share your experiences!