“Overall, a pleasant experience..but a few downsides..” 3 of 5 stars

Relais Ugolini
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Masaccio 191, 50132 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #372 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Connecticut
“Overall, a pleasant experience..but a few downsides..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

This hotel is located in a great ( and very safe) area to have a pleasant walk into the heart of Florence. It is close to restaurants, shopping. and tons culture! The hotel staff was helpful despite "our" slight language barrier. The court yard in the back is especially charming.

Just a few small issues with the rooms...maybe putting some screens in the windows would help to keep the very hungry mosquitoes outside where they belong!

The showers could use a curtain or door as it was difficult to keep water from getting on the entire bathroom floor.

The breakfast buffet ...well you may want to skip it .....it was our least favorite part...but we were in Italy so we easily found other breakfast venues...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My husband, sister and brother-in-law stayed here October 7th through the 14th. We booked it on Expedia for a great price. The rating was a 4-star on their website. The room was clean and the bathroom looked newly remodeled. These were not however 4-star accomodations (at least not in my experience). Our hostess was kind and helpful despite the language barrier on our part. The hotel was about a 15 minute walk from the main part of the city which was okay for the most part especially after eating a fantastic dinner. We had beautiful weather almost every day. Ultimately, I'd say if your looking for a cheaper, no-frills (whatsoever), hotel, and don't mind walking, (or paying for a cab, or figuring out the bus system), then this is a decent choice; especially if your there to see the city, and don't need all the extras. One word of advice though, avoid the included "Continental breakfast" offered:)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

PART ONE -
I arrived at approximately 2-3pm on 9/11. I was told by Mrs. Semplita (sp?) the front desk Manager, that she had ‘a big problem, no room for me, that the internet thinks I have 20 rooms when I have only 10 and that I am overbooked, but not to worry she has another hotel.” I told her that was her problem, and not mine – that I had prepaid and reserved months ago and wanted the room I expected. When she then declared she had nothing for me, I asked ‘where would you send me”? She waived and pointed over her head while saying “Over that way, a nice hotel” and proceeded to shuffle through a number of reservations saying “I have all these that are overbooked.”

I told her, “The only way you are sending me anywhere else is if it is closer to the City Centre and has a pool like your hotel.” She replies “No, it is a nice hotel, I have nothing for you.”

I asked to speak to the Hotel Manager and she phoned a Thomasino (sp?) whom I spoke with and reiterated my need for an approximate hotel with a pool. He stated “He will make calls and oh by the way it’s because there is a problem on the floor which is why I don’t have a room for you” I will now state this is the SECOND excuse for them not honoring their reservation.

I told Mrs. Semplita (sp?) that I needed to exchange currency and was going to the bank across the street and I would be immediately back. Imagine my displeasure to find that my LUGGAGE had been put on the sidewalk – that a cab had been called – that I was told I was going ‘to a good hotel.”

I REFUSED TO LEAVE AND DRAGGED MY LUGGAGE BACK INSIDE AND SAT IN THE LOBBY HAVING A BREAKDOWN.

Mrs. Semplita (sp?) followed me inside and said “I have nothing for you here, if you don’t get in the cab, that I have paid for, then you are on your own.” PLEASANT NO? They would not give me the name or location of the hotel they were sending me, I was completely in the dark and in deep distress.

I went to the cab and said “where is the address?” Mrs. Semplita (sp?) spoke only Italian to the cabby and I understood enough that she told him to ignore me, to take me there, and drop me off and not speak to me. The Cabbie would then not talk to me or point on a map I showed to him, where I was going. I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO GET INTO THE CAB.

PART TWO -
I arrive at the President Hotel on the farthest outskirts of Florence. It may not seem much, but another kilometer from the City Centre (up a steep hilll) does not allow an ‘easy walking distance’ to tour the sights when you are going both ways – I ended up taking local bus transportation every day. That was the least of the issue. This hotel is rated as 4 Stars, but that must have been in the 1980’s. This hotel has not been kept up, and is used as a BUS TOUR stop hotel, with late night arrivals and early morning leavings of groups of people. Please go to www.tripadvisor.com and search for all of the reviews on this hotel, as they will confirm further comments.

The Relais Ugolini staff must have called the President Hotel to tell them I was not going quietly and when I arrived, I found that the front desk Manager “Ilaria” had given me a 4th floor ‘suite’.

Note: I want to say that the staff is wonderful at this hotel, that if but not for them, my stay would have but much more unpleasant and that I am grateful to their care of me, especially Ilaria’s special attention.

However the bathroom had a rusty radiator, and that the glass holder above the sink was destroyed. The air conditioning control has electrical tape to keep a customer from flipping the wrong switch – which I did and promptly threw the circuit breaker which I spent ten minutes in the dark trying to reset. And the door frame to the patio had broken and crumbling plaster falling off.

NET: I wanted a charming, smaller hotel closer to the City Centre. What I got was a SCAM. This Relais Ugolini must overbook then transport unknowing tourist to this inferior hotel counting on their quite submission and compliance.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Relais Ugolini? Share your experiences!