“Great location and fantastic value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Capri Moon Bed & Breakfast
Via della Vigna Nuova 17, 50135 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #349 of 553 Florence B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location and fantastic value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed in Capri Moon for three nights in September 2010. We had a delightful stay and would recommend it to anyone.

Be aware that Capri Moon is incredibly difficult to find if you are unfamiliar with the numbering system in Florence. Residential buildings have red numbers and business have black. It took us a very long time to find it, and I think that we would still be going now if a kindly shop owner didn’t take pity on us and explain.

You do need to climb 82 (we counted) steps with no lift. This should not deter you from staying here though, it is just worth keeping in mind if you have mobility issues or heavy baggage.

Franco, the owner, was an incredibly gracious host. He gave us a great restaurant tip and we ate there two nights – wish we had found it sooner (and wish I could remember the name of it...). The best pasta and pizza we had in Italy and although tourist friendly, it was not overrun.

In terms of the room, we had a lovely surprise on arrival - Franco advised us that because it was quiet, he was upgrading our room for us at no additional cost. The room was a good size, with a nice bathroom attached. Everything was extremely clean and ordered. The reception area is pleasant and clean and the whole place has a nice atmosphere.

Franco and his family live there too, so be prepared to see other people around. It is really a room in their house, although it is fairly separate and you have your own space. Breakfast was included and was wonderful! We were treated like Kings and offered tea, coffee, toast, yoghurt, pastries, juice...the list goes on. Very nice treat and it was a shame we were only able to eat there once!

It was very central, in walking distance to everything. It isn’t far from Santa Maria Novella station, unless you get lost like we did. It was a wonderful, relaxed and pleasant stay at Capri Moon and an absolute steal at the price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Don't be fooled with the pictures that this B&B have put on the website. Firstly, pics are taken with a wide angle lens so that the rooms look bigger than what they are. We booked the quadruple room and stated the ages of our kids (13 and 10). On arrival the owner, took us up to a room for 3 and said that it fits 4 as the bed is large and one of the children could sleep in the bed with my husband and myself!!!! Not only was this NOT the room as shown and paid for on the website, but it did not have any windows only 4 BRICK walls... and I mean brick! In the roof was a little window that did not open and was half covered by a shutter. I am not sure what the purpose of the window was, possibly to make one feel that you are not in a jail cell. Well, I did feel like I was in a cell. Terrible! The owner was rude, he would not move us to the room that we had booked (even though it was empty). He said that if we were not happy he would prefer if we left and found somewhere else to stay. Absolutely rude and uninterested. The breakfast was awful, and the lady who was serving breakfast and cleaning the rooms did not speak English. The owner was not around at all, only on checkin and to receive payment.
This spoilt our entire Florence experience and just left a very bad taste in our mouths. The owners attitude as just so disinterested and he really did not care where his guests were happy or not.
The bathroom was old and the shower curtin was broken off the rails. Boy would it kill the owner to replace the curtain. Very sloppy.
Another thing to mention, there is NO lift so be prepared for steps, plenty of steps to carry your bags up and down. Their is no view from this tiny guest house only of the street which has cars going up and down . I would not advise anyone to go there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I have booked this hotel in may 2010 for the stay in september. The room was fully prepaid and confirmed via booking.com. Three days prior to arrival and 4 months after booking confirmation I got a message from the hotel that they are overbooked and they had to cancel my reservation! They have missed my booking and also forget to charge my card on the date of booking. There was no way to persude them to keep my room. I had to find another hotel beeing already abroad. Boooking.com was helpfull but also only informed me about the problem via email assuming that everyone has Internet access around the globe and 24h/day. I was very disapointed with this hotel service and booking.com using only email to inform abut major problem with the reservation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Santander, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed at the Capri Moon for 2 days. It is very well located at a 5-10 minute walk from Florence's main train station, and at a 5 minute walk from the city's historic center. It has no elevator, so you will have to carry your luggage 3 stories up. The B&B itself is cozy and our room and bathroom were very clean. Breakfast was good although we wouldn't mind if included a piece of fruit. We were lucky enough to witness Florence's "white night" festivities (April 30 this year) which meant a lot of street entertainment and parties during the night, and fortunately, once back in the B&B we didn't hear any street noises. The owner was very nice, and overall it was a great stay. Very recommendable!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

After reading a number of reviews for the Capri Moon we decided to book it for part of our honeymoon travels in Italy. I can say that it exceeded my expectations, and Franco was wonderful. I could be slightly biased because we had reserved one of the double rooms and upon our arrival Franco told us that he was giving us the large room (the one pictured on his website) at no additional cost since it was available. I did see the other rooms and they are all nice. The common/living area (since he does live there) is beautiful, as is the dining area. To our surprise there was a gentleman there every morning who prepared breakfast for us as well. I would absolutely recommend it and would stay there again.

There are three things that you'll want to know about the B&B and its location, just so that you are prepared (and these are mentioned in other reviews as well):
1. It's really conveniently located and is about a 10 minute walk from the train station. It's somewhat difficult to find, though, if you're not familiar with the numbering system there. There are black and red numbers on most of the buildings. The black number is for any retail establishment that's located there, and the red number is for "residential" units. Google maps or a GPS will get you close, but you'll need to pay attention to the different numbers to actually find it. There is no sign on the building for the Capri Moon, just a sign for a ristorante that's located there. The only notation on the outside of the building for the Capri Moon is the brass name tag near the doorbell panel.
2. There apparently are a lot of people who require ambulance service in Florence, as ambulances went down this street throughout the day and into the late evening. It wasn't a big deal, and it's not a negative statement about this hotel, it's just something to know ahead of time so that you can bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper, or just keep the windows closed.
3. There are a lot of steps to climb to get to it from street level. Pack light if possible. Also, as with most other B&Bs, there are lights in the hallways/stairwells, but they are on switches and timers. Don't hesitate to turn them on as they will usually shut themselves off in about 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

To expand upon what I stated in my title, I needed something close to the shops and something that was of good value. Capri Moon was in an ideal location, was a good value and Franco (The owner) was great. I didn't have my needs as my itinerary was planned out ahead of time but he was helpful if I had any questions or needed any recommendations about places to see or dine.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

This is a splendid choice for a stay in Florence. The central location on a classy Florentine street is superb, and the host, Franco is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and well decorated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Capri Moon Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!