“Run away run away...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 234 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Run away run away...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Tournabuoni suites has an enticing and well done website. I was dazzled by the clever artistic shots suggesting high-end and luxury accommodations. The website and reality are not similar by any sense of the imagination. Dont be fooled!

We stayed in a room that at first blush looked similar to the website but as you looked close appeared worn and tired. Much of the furniture had inexplicable stains of unknown origin, the shower was moldy and smelled, and did not drain at all, forcing you to stand in foul water until you reached an overflow level at which time you would have to wait for it to drain. We contacted the management via email, they sent someone who promised to fix it, but they never came in 6 days! The air conditioning did not work at all. The room approached 27 C and humid most nights (a real warm spell in Florence). The management sent someone to explain to us that they would not be fixing it?

The lovely spa costs a lot extra (per person) and has to be reserved in advance. The manager is a surly, unpleasant woman who was visibly annoyed to contact a taxi for us. She was at the front desk for 1-2 hours during the entire week. The frustration of getting no response from management was the worst. She seemed unimpressed by our problems.

We none the less had an extraordinary time in Firenze and Montalcino and think fondly of our time there. I understand that hotels vary greatly and that everyone has a bad day but not for the premium price. Never pay in advance as we did!! Reserve the right to leave if the accommodations are indeed not as advertised.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Charleston, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Believe the reviewers who say NO service. I was prepared for no room service, concierge, etc., but not for non-existent customer service. I tried by email to confirm my check-in time, but no reply. I showed up at the address listed on my initial confirmation and no one was even there to let me in the building. I was traveling with other friends staying in another address operated by this same "business" (it is not a hotel by any standard). Someone was there to meet them, and basically told our friends that we could be "upgraded" to an available room in that location, since no one was available to let us in the other place.
If the room we got (which was very large) was an "upgrade" I would hate to see what might have awaited us in the other place. Sparse, cheap, dingy furniture. Missing light bulbs, sluggish drains. Someone was supposed to fix the drains, but never arrived in four days. Had we not fully paid in advance, we would gone elsewhere. Can I say anything positive? Yes - ideal location, and we had good wireless. Had this place been a super bargain I may have reacted differently, but it was priced in line with hotels. Don't let this place damage your experience in one of the most beautiful places on earth -- stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My boyfriend booked us into the Tornabuoni Suites chiefly because of its excellent location. He lived in Florence for a year and knows the city well. Situated on the luxe shopping via Tornabuoni, you are within walking distance of all the major Florentine attractions, great dining and high-end shopping.

We arrived at 9 Tornabuoni--a mixed-use building and not a dedicated hotel--at around 12pm to no reception desk, so we walked upstairs until we luckily ran into the housekeeper (I think there is only one for all the apartments), who told us the manager would not be in until 3 when we could check-in. We proceeded to lug our heavy suitcases up 2 flights of stairs and deposited them in the manager's office. We went out to a leisurely lunch nearby and then came back as suggested.

When we met the manager, she informed us that we were staying at 15 Via Tornabuoni (another mixed-use building: a bank on the main floor, offices, etc), so we dragged the suitcases back down and across the street to another mixed-use building located right next to Roberto Cavalli's boutique. Around the corner was Cavalli's sparkling Caffe Giacosa, where we had excellent coffee and pastries. Can't argue with the luxe setting, that's for sure.

The apartment was on the third floor and we had three keyed doors to get through to access the suite. Other than that, there was a building doorman (at night, the front door was locked), but no further security and no hotel services other than the pleasant housekeeper who cleaned every day and provided some toiletries (soap, shampoo) from Fragonard. We found some robes in a hall closet near the manager's office that we rescued for our use. One day a couple of pairs of slippers showed up on one side of our bed. While not the most attentive, or on the spot service, there was certainly an attempt to make us comfortable to a degree.

We had a nice sized bedroom with a comfortable bed, small living room with a closet that had a microwave (some assorted tea and some flatware and bowls, 2 cups) and mini fridge (empty). The furnishings were very spartan and minimal, but decent: like items from Ikea or Room & Board. The WiFi was unreliable, the hot water limited and there were closets with shelves but no drawers for our clothes. There were two small flatscreen TVs, but only one channel in English (BBC) and no ability to order movies, as in most hotels. Also, there was no phone in the suite: fortunately we had cell phones that we had ordered international service plans for. On our last day, the doorknob fell off and our housekeeper smiled, shrugged and said, "it happens all the time."

Bottom line: we can fend for ourselves (particularly since my boyfriend is fluent in Italian) and didn't spend very much time at our suite, so we had an enjoyable time at 15 Via Tornabuoni. For the self-reliant types who want location over accommodation, Tornabuoni Suites (really managed apartments and not a hotel) are fine. Those travelers who are looking for hotel services and any pampering, look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husban & I went to six different cities in Europe over a total of 19 days & this was by far the best place we stayed. It's an incredibly private hotel - looks like an office from the street. There are only 7 or 8 rooms total & you have a special access key to get in from the street. The bed was comfortable enough that i'm tempted to call & ask what the matress was in the room to order one for my home. The suite had a small kitchen & comfortable living area. The bathroom was fantastic with his/her sinks & a jacuzzi tub. We were just a block away from the Pontevecchio & within walking distance of everything we wanted to see.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I've been there for a romantic night with my fiancee and I was surprised by the service...actually there were none!

Nice welcome from the guy who were waiting for us in front of the building where the suite is (yes it's a collection of a few suites located in Florence...not a Suite-Hotel!!!).

But when there were some problems, nobody were there to take care of them!
No lights working on the terrace of the...Terrace Suite! After calling the guy, he told us that he was 1h30 from the city so he can't come to fix the problem. We managed to have light on the terrace by ourselvesby taking the lamps on it.... but the plugs were stucked inside because of the non-compatibility with the italian plug...even the maid didn't care about it I suppose!

Moreover, TV in the bedroom didn't work and we were urged to be out at 12h for the check-out. After speaking with the last night guy, I told the lady that I negociated for 3pm (as per problems not solved) and the lady came before 3pm because she wanted to do the room and leave (after her cigarette in the corridor of course)!

I think it's good product but not properly managed and followed up. Maid not trained, guys not from the hotel industry....

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ljph74
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

We arrived in Florence after a week in Tuscany. We've traveled to Italy before, all over Europe many, many times staying in 1-5 star resorts/apartments etc...

When we arrived, the Manager met us, as we dragged our suitcases up several flights of stairs (there's no elevator for the final two floors), then showed us round the apartment and pretty much left us to it. The cleaner doesn't come on Sundays, the Manager had no idea how long we were staying, and told us she spends her time at one of her other properties and rarely visits this one...er...great.

The views are fantastic (although keep the bathroom light off unless you want everyone to see in!), the location is very central indeed, and the room is perfectly nice. We paid roughly $300 per night and I wouldn't say it's really worth it though.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

First ,I would like to to be clear that my husband is fluent in Italian and we have been to Florence many times before ,this situation makes it really very easy for us to stay in a serviced apartment,but after driving for 7 hours from the south of France we arrived at the Tornobuoni suites in the late afternoon luckily with just 2 small bags,There was no porter nor a doorman but just Marco the building guard below.We finally go up to the 5th floor expecting to arrive to a penthouse lobby or a posh hall way but instead to find a bare hallway with construction going on(Hard hat workers!) not in one apartment but in the entire hall and the 2 empty apartments.
I would like to let the other readers know that Tornobuoni Suites is not a Hotel but only serviced apartments(4 to be exact) on the top floor of an office building.On weekdays there is someone working and guarding the door from 8 am till 6 pm then later on the door is closed and in the evening the building becomes dark and a bit on the creepy side,luckily I am with my husband who knows how do to everything.On our first night the electricity went completely off and again lucky for my I've got a European mobile and was able to call Larisa and it seems that this happens all the time and she instructed me to go to the hallway to turn back on the electricity via electrical box.I was a bit hesitant but after a few tries ,the electricity went back on.
On our 3rd day we decided to move to the terrace suite below because the Belvedere suite above was not to our liking although it had a magnificent view it was not on the the lift floor but on the very top floor which is about 15 to 20 flights of stairs,the door does not shut well,you have to literally slam the door and good thing the suite beside us was empty or we would have had an enemy the following day.
On our last night ,sunday it was raining heavily at around 7 pm and our door bell rang but when we asked who it was?No answer and we were smart enough not to open the door,never not in an empty building!
My husband and I figured that for Europeans like ourselves it was all right to be completely on our own but for other couples or guest from the U.S. or asia or other parts of the world not belonging to Europe,you would need assistance all the time.It was easy for me to call Larisa because I had a mobile phone but what about others? There is no telephone in the room,no room service,no concierge and very poor security(no safes in the room),instead of enjoying my day I was worying that my laptop would be stolen and our cash ,so instead we just brought our jewelry and cash with us,not very smart thing to do.
The apartment was nice,clean and spacious and Larisa the manager was extremely nice and helpful with our restaurant reservations .We did not need assistance with directions because we knew our way around.
The terrace suites and the suite across our door was very nice,bright and had many closet space and would be perfect for a couple with children who have the option of cooking at home.The cable Television,air conditioning,and wi fi internet was great!
I would definitely come back ,we had a pleasant stay but again I would not recommend this to honeymooners and older couples ,you not get breakfast in bed and chocolates on your pillow .The sheets are not changed daily ,only the towels are,sunday there is no maid service so be careful not to ran out of toilet paper.Again the bed....awful!
For the price you pay,it is really in a great location and the apartments are spacious but you have to be an independent traveler with a lot of knowledge about the city.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tornabuoni Suites Collection? Share your experiences!