“Excellent hotel in an excellent location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Borghese Palace Art Hotel to your Saves list
Borghese Palace Art Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ghibellina 174-R, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #122 of 460 Hotels in Florence
“Excellent hotel in an excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. It's not too bad anyway.

We were initially placed in a room that smelled slightly off-putting. We asked to be moved and after one hour they had a different room prepared for us which was perfect. Hint: choose a room overlooking Via Pandolfini rather than the interior. The street is not loud.

We couldn't figure out the TV. The instructions were confusing, but we didn't really want to watch it anyway. They have free WiFi in the room so that was our preference anyway.

The stall shower is small and the overhead rain shower is difficult to navigate, but the hand-held spray is great. Overall bathroom is nice.

The room, like the whole hotel, and indeed all of Florence, is beautiful top to bottom. Bed was wonderful! Very stylish and comfortable room.

The spa is great, but you need to make an appointment to use it. We were always alone there. Great sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and work-out room. Very beautiful inside.

The free breakfast is fine, but don't wait until the last minute (10:15am) when some things were a bit cold. Get there by nine-thirty and it's delicious. Nice wait-staff.

The whole staff from bellhops all the way to the owner Allesandra, are wonderful! They are very helpful and are a pleasure to just have a chat with. They gave us numerous great suggestions for things to do, as well as how to avoid tourist-traps. The night concierge, Guiseppe, was super-nice and went out of his way to help us on numerous occasions. He's very engaging and funny, and very professional. The cleaning staff are very nice and kept the room spotless.

I highly recommend the Borghese Palace Art Hotel! Definitely would return!

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking Via Pandolfini, which is the back of the hotel. The street is quiet and the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Jjtko,

Thank you for continuing to choose Borghese Palace Art Hotel for your visits to Florence. We are always delighted to welcome you as our guest. We dedicated to creating a retreat; whether you are here for business or leisure, your kind words regarding our team, the décor and everything during your stay lets us know that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review and sharing your experience of us with the online travelling community. We appreciate it.

We very much look forward to your next visit,
Dott.ssa Alessandra Flora

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Greek first
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

After reading all the reviews perhaps there was something unusal with the experience I had at the hotel.
Upon checking in, no one seemed particularily friendly, just adequate. The lobby was dark with flashing lights and loud music playing. They helped me with my bags to the rooms and I was shocked when the door opened to my room for the price I was paying. Not only was it so small, the bed slooped in the middle with thin bedding and it was cold & raining outside. I asked to turn on the lights and I was informed that was all there was. I don't have a vision problem, but it was dark in there! When I went into the bath, I stood in front of the sink. I am 5' and 105lb, my stomache hit sink and my butt hit the wall. The shower door didn't close all the way. My sister was coming the next day, how were we going to get dressed in there?
I asked about changing rooms and was informed "that's what I paid for". So after dinner when I wanted to connect with the internet, I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone at the desk and when I went down to the lobby there was NO ONE there at the front desk! I waited, called a few times and went back to my room. Fortunately later I got a very nice clerk who helped me and I proceeded to look for a new hotel the next day.
When I checked out, 3 days early no one asked "why" they just said take it up with Expedia, that is who you booked your reservation through. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. This was my long awaited vacation and this was not the way I wanted to spend it. The hotel I went to was the same price and four stars.
Perhaps if you are a 20's hip person this would be for you. I prefer nice people and a welcoming room. I wouldn't recommend this to my friends

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Phoenix100,

who writes is the owner of the hotel. When you arrived I was at the reception and I gave you the welcome.
When I just arrived I've asked for a room with a view and I realized that you had no idea where the hotel is(we do not have rooms with a view). Then you asked me a larger room and I told you that the hotel was fully booked and the room that I was given was exactly the one you had booked through expedia even with a special rate (including breakfast and free wellness area) . After all these requests to change the room, I told you could choose to go somewhere else without any penalty for making you happier.
My idea is that in my hotel guests need to feel at home and not have to stay by force, even if this means a loss of money for me.
When you go out for dinner you do not even greeted as if we had not wanted to please you.
When you came back from dinner at the reception was still me and I explained to you the wifi.
You can not always please everyone, but I'd like that users of Tripadvisor writing the facts as they occurred.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Really liked this hotel and would stay here again. Location is excellent. The decor of the hotel and room adds a lot of character. Rooms are clean and in good condition generally. The onsite bar (The Bitter Bar) does some nice cocktails for the evenings. The Spa is perfect for relaxing at the end of a long day of walking (Sauna, Steam Room, Jacquzzi, Gym) and is very well looked after. The Spa is a huge selling point I think for this hotel.

However, the room cleaning service was poor - toilet rolls not replaced (had to call and ask!) and also no new shower gels/soaps (again, had to ask reception). They also left cleaning rags in our room. Bedsheets were not changed (although not sure every hotel change sheets daily?). The staff on reception were inconsistent. There was a blonde lady who was excellent. Very friendly and helpful every evening. However the guy during the day was useless. I asked him about the Firenze Card which he said didn't exist (it does) and when we checked out he didn't ask if we had a nice stay.

The Bitter Bar does play music until about 12pm on some weekends and this can be heard in rooms (even on top floor - Room 303). This was not an issue for us but perhaps not ideal for families. The cocktails and service in the Bar was very good!

The hairdryer in the bathroom is very poor which was a shame. However, the room had a fridge (very useful) and you were given two free bottles of water on your first night which is a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear HatStephens,

Thank you for your kind comments, guest feedback is always welcomed. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you love the simplistic and modern design of our rooms and the incredible spa.
We are sorry that you found the level of room clean service poor, there is no excuse for less than attentive or gracious service and this will be discussed with the teams.
We do hope that you come back to Borghese Palace Hotel in future and when you have a reservation in place please let me know so that I may personally oversee your stay.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just returned from a weekend in Florence with family. Firstly its important to mention that I lived in Italy for 3 years and this was my 6th visit to Florence, so I am very familiar with the standard of accommodation and service that can be expected there, and other similar options available.

Positives: location and close proximity to attractions, hotel lobby design and bar, room size and furnishing (triple executive room)

Negatives: Loud music preventing sleep on Friday night live music/band in the hotel lobby that went until midnight (we were in Room 301), inconsistent service level, slow elevator, wifi didnt work in the room.

Neutral - breakfast: fairly standard for Italian hotel buffet breakfast, Spa (didn't visit).

On Friday night, we made several complaints to the front desk staff about the loud live music being played in the lobby cocktail bar. Our room was on the 3rd floor (top level) with windows facing into the courtyard above the lobby, and the music was very loud. At 10:30pm we called the front desk and asked what time the music would finish, and we were informed it would finish at midnight. As as we have a 10 year old child who was kept awake we asked if they could turn the music down. The front desk staff said they would try and reduce the volume. Then at 11pm when the music was still as loud as before, we called again and complained a second time. The front desk called us back just after 11pm and said the music/band would be finishing in about 20 minutes. However, the band continued to play until midnight. We felt there was no point calling again, so we just suffered through it.

Some other service levels were inconsistent (eg 30 minutes after we checked in and arrived in the room, our suitcases had still not been brought up to the room, and we had to call the reception to ask them to bring up our suitcases, then they asked us to describe them, which did not give us a feeling of confidence, but the correct suitcases were eventually brought to the room).

Overall I would not rate the service as a negative for a minor issue like luggage being brought up to the room late. I rated the service poor because we were not informed of the loud lobby Friday night music before booking, empty promises from the staff to turn down/finish music before midnight, lack of apology next morning or when checking out.

Room Tip: Ask if the hotel has loud/live music before booking, ask for a room not facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
the Bitter Bar,like outsourcing service, wants to respond you personally:

"Firstly, we are very sorry for the inconvenience we have caused and we are truly humbled to have been a source of trouble for your vacation.
We would like to clarify that we organize these evenings not all Friday night. Sometimes we make an exception to the rules and many hotel guests in the lobby as you were with us to drink and have fun.
We do not know if you had been able to read the note we left with which we are warned that there would be an evening with live music.
This is not to in any way justify the fact that I bothered you.
We regret very much and we hope to have you with us once again to try to remedy this.
Again apologies by the managers of Bitter Bar"
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a complicated "case"....
On the whole I can recommend this hotel. It has a good location, nice staff, interesting lobby, a very nice bar and a beautiful breakfast room. In the "atmospheric" cellar is a small spa that you can book.

Rooms are compact but nicely decorated. They provide a good sleep.

The hotel is not inexpensive and may, consequently, have a more demanding group of "non low budget" guests. At this price level one can expect well functioning IT/wifi/internet solutions and a TV/entertainment system that works perfectly. The hotel management needs to improve these latter services to reach up to their ambitions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Christer K.,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback from your recent stay with us.

Your feedback about our great and central location, our staff ,breakfast and bar is brilliant and I am sure your fellow travellers will be appreciated. It is always good to receive such positive feedback from our guests.
I will certainly think about your comments and see where any improvements can be made.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights last week and it was amazing! Location wise you just cannot get better. You are literally right in the heart of Florence. Just a 15 minuet walk from Santa Maria Novella train station and within easy reach of buses to and from pisa airport. All the main museums and galleries of Florence are just five minuets walk away.

The hotel itself is lovely, great decor. We state in a junior suite which was massive for a city hotel. The room was scrupulously clean everyday with fresh sheets and everything you would expect from a hotel of this nature. The staff were wonderfully informative and helpful whenever we needed them. The wellness centre was a definite bonus. We used it everyday we were there! The perfect way to unwind after a long day of sight seeing.
The bar in the hotel was also fantastic. I don't drink but seeing the cocktails the mixologist was producing, I could've been easily tempted! Again the service in the bar was impeccable, we always felt very welcome and looked after.
I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you can get a junior suite, treat yourselves!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Pristinechaos,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Your kind words mean so much for us.

We believe that a memorable experience starts with a team that is dedicated to doing all we can to enhance your time with us. We were delighted to read that this ethos has led us to meet your high expectations and that you felt so at home whilst with us.
I do agree that attention to detail makes experience exceptional and I am proud to read that we succeed. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Suites – they are indeed lovely.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind regards,
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My stay was just perfect. Great location to walk around town. Easy to reach from the train station. If you have a car it has a parking just next door. Honestly a great solution. With an included SPA within the structure. Only thing that didn't work that well was wifi in the lobby, but had free wifi in the rooms!
Would definitely go there again and suggest it to friends.

Room Tip: Third floor was cool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Alessandra F, Proprietario at Borghese Palace Art Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Jebere,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We are passionate about creating an original guest experience, both in terms of design and service, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed Borghese Palace Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again and please let us know when you have any reservation in place.
Dott.ssa Alessandra Flora

Been to Borghese Palace Art Hotel? Share your experiences!