“Villa Ullivi, Florence Disaster Vacation Villa!” 1 of 5 stars

Villa Ulivi Dimora Storica
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Via Bolognese 163, 50139 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #483 of 522 Florence B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“Villa Ullivi, Florence Disaster Vacation Villa!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014

This was the worst vacation rental we have ever had in Italy, it actually surpassed many 3rd world accommodations. Most of the electrical plugs, washer, balcony canopy did not function. No screens, lots of mosquitos tormented us all night long. All the insulated glass seals failed years ago, making the views opaque. Our shower was about 5' tall and sloped down to 3' in height, there also was no glass or shower curtain. The 1/4 mile walk to town, did not mean to the historic center, but to the bus stop which required 8 - 9 bus stops to town.

Our friends had the room next door. Their room had no window. Both of our rooms had no AC, or adequate ventilation. Our friend's sink trap was held together by tape, leather and was shimmed with a bar of soap. Our balcony canopy was shredded in tatters, and all the ancient outdoor furniture is warped and had dry rot. This vacation rental should be shuttered until basic repairs and restoration can take place. this facility is falling apart. Word to the wise, do not waste your hard earned Euros here. WiFi only worked next to check in desk, not in rooms. No other services available.
September 2014

Room Tip: Do not ruin your vacation at this facility.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was exceedingly fortunate to have gotten out of this rental due to the owner's decision to give my suite to another family, moving my actual check to a day later. He had provided me with "a comparable room" for 30 euro less, but upon entering the room, I found a stained dirty carpet, sagging beds, broken air conditioner, stale tobacco smoke, a shabby deck with an awning that had numerous tears hanging down. I said I couldn't take it, so the owner insisted on showing me the actual suite I had reserved, barging in on a nice family during their dinner! He was very rude to the guests leaving me embarrassed, so after apologizing, I told him I wasn't staying. He then called me names and went on a tirade. It turned out for the best since the listing was totally misleading and false. It was like being in a Hitchcock movie! I found a perfect rental in the Santa Croce district in the actual city of Florence. I should have read trip advisor because I found many unhappy reviews of this dump!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I rarely write a bad review. I generally give the benefit of the doubt to hotels and restaurants. But this case is quite an exception. Tis was one of the worst represented establishments I have ever visited. Far from being close to the city, far from being welcoming or comfortable, this place is in poor condition, quite distant from the city, and under poor management. We stayed all of 45 minutes before having the owner call and cab and leaving for a new place. We refused to stay the night.

We had asked our travel agent call ahead and tell the owner that we would be arriving somewhat late that evening which she had done. However, when we got there, the front door was locked, the lights were out and the place looked absolutely abandoned. Even my cab driver asked us if we wanted to go somewhere else. That should have been a clue. If it were not for encountering a nice couple outside taking a stroll outside, we would have been forced to leave - and should have. We rang the bell a number of times and finally the owner came to the door. I will make no characterization about his demeanor or lack of conviviality as others have done that in previous posts, but suffice it to say we did not feel welcome what so ever. Our arrival felt like a deep imposition. He did not even know how much to charge us for the room as this had been negotiated by our travel agent but was apparently a mystery to him. We should have left at that point but it was around 10 PM and we were ending a very full day of travel back from the Cinque Terre.

After completing the required paperwork under the dimmest lights imaginable, we were eventually ushered back outside to a wing of the building (where we would not have had evening access to the main house and lobby) and up several flights of stairs to a hotter and hotter floor. The air conditioner did not appear to be working, and we quickly refused that room and asked for another. Back down with luggage in tow we went to another room that was equally unacceptable. Florence was as hot as blazes that evening and it defies logic to think why they would not have conditioned the room for guests they KNEW were arriving let alone leaving a light on or the door unlocked. Opening the screen-less windows was simply not an option.

There were a few more elements to the story but I will leave it at that.

Other reviewers have suggested that this Villa could be good place in Florence under different circumstances. I might agree but certainly not under the current management. They have no sense of accommodation or hospitality, they are operating on a shoestring in a place that requires considerable work and attention. I felt for the couple that remained as they clearly indicated a great discomfort with the accommodations and I sensed their desire to hop in our cab and flee too as our conversation with them while we waited for our cab revealed.

We are faithful users of Trip Advisor but in this case neither my wife nor I looked at the reviews for this property and that, I will freely agree, was entirely our fault. Despite that shortcoming, this property is not as represented and I have never felt so unwelcome in a place in ALL of my travels.

I urge travelers to be very careful of booking this property and do your homework before hand. I have only refused accommodation once or twice before - so it generally takes a lot to get me to that point - but I did it quickly and gladly in this case for the sake of my family's comfort and our peace of mind.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The villa is very nice, the lounge is decorated with lots of antique furniture. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom was fully covered in travertine. The terrace and the garden are very nice to sit in the evening.
The breakfast in the morning was good (bread, ham, cheese, yoghurt, toast and cornflakes. )
The city can be reached by bus (10 minutes down the road near a tabacci with very nice coffee and authentic Italian food.
I had no musquito or heat problems, but I visited in may.
Overall a very nice building with spacious rooms, atmosphere and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Aks for a suite in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Is not near anything....so we walked a lot. Rooms were poorly appointed. Attendant Lee was very helpful yet could see that she was stressed with responsibility to take care of everything. The owner was rude and her son useless. We were lucky that they had overbooked so we were transferred to a hotel in Florence which turned out to be a God send. We wanted to eat our lunch outside on the grounds but were told that the owner did want people to see visitors eating outside?!!!! what is with that!.....stay away from this jewel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

If you are looking for a relaxed, step back in time place to stay, you might like to try the Villa Ulivi in Via Bolognese Florence. The beautiful grounds, the sweeping staircase and friendly and helpful stay made our stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Villa Ulivi is a pretty good option for the price. Not close to downtown, but the bus runs pretty regularly during the day and is fast (at night we took cabs, a bit expensive but more convenient). Our room was huge and it was nice to stay in a place with huge grounds, a quiet escape from the city. I'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Ulivi Dimora Storica? Share your experiences!