“A good place to spend the night before returning a rental car in Florence” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Locanda Gallo

You added Locanda Gallo to your Saves list
Locanda Gallo
Via San Gallo 73, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #308 of 522 Florence B&B and Inns
Panama City, Panama
“A good place to spend the night before returning a rental car in Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

On our recent vacation my wife and I rented a car in Florence to drive around Tuscany.
Since it is close to impossible to find parking in Florence we planned on staying on our last night on the outskirts of the city, then drive into Florence in the morning to turn in the car early before continuing our trip. We found Locanda Gallo to be an excellent choice for that purpose: it is only minutes away from Florence, the room was quite comfortable, and the inn keeper is quite a hospitable person. We did not eat at the restaurant on the ground floor, but we noticed that it was full of local patrons for which we suspect it offers good value. The breakfast was a typical Florentine cappucino and cornetto fare. A word of warning: the road sign announces the locanda as being located "2 km.away" (from the sign post) while actually the hotel is located a bit farther away, which caused us to spend over an hour driving around back and forth on the road searching for it. We highly recommend Locanda Gallo for what it is: a convient, good but unpretentious stay in the outskirts of Florence.

Room Tip: Even though the locanda sits right on the strada we have no problem with traffic noise during the ni...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked a 10 day stay with Locanda Gallo and when we arrive at the door they sent us to their sister B&B Sette Angeli, a newly renovated collection of apartments. We showed up and they sent us several blocks away to the second location in what is, unfortunately, not a very safe area of Florence. I have lived in florence before for several months in the past.

I have been traveling to Florence for 6 years and, as a PhD student, have been to many B&Bs and hotels all over. This was by far the worst experience, I'm sorry to say. For those of you who can't read Italian, the other bad reviews are very accurate. They NEVER cleaned the room in 10 days of being here. There is no reception and the owners are difficult to get a hold of, even with an Italian cell phone. We called several times to at least get clean towels, but they never came. I found the linen closet unlocked fortunately and took two for the room. When we first arrived, we were told to wait 50 minutes on the street while the girl came to open the building for us. She is extremely rude and could care less about any suggestions you might make. Speaking fluent Italian in Italy gets you far, but not even that seemed to help alleviate the situation. The room is nice enough, but the floors were filthy and blackened our socks in the first 30 minutes. We couldn't break the reservation because we bought a last minute deal on Venere. We paid for a room with a kitchen and we have yet to receive it or be compensated for it. Also, for any women traveling alone, this is not the safest area of Florence. This ruined the rest of our stay and we've been through a lot and rarely mind most things. Absolutely nothing is included. The wifi is better on the first floor of the hotel, but rarely works on the second floor. This is more of a room for rent, but with a much higher price than renting an apt for a week.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We arrived at the address of Locanda Gallo that was stated on our booking confirmation. There was no reception at this address, but a locked door with a buzzer. When it became apparent that there was no-one available to answer the buzzer, we called a mobile number printed below the buzzer.

The man on the other end of the phone told us that there was no booking, and that the room was unavailable. When it was stated that we had already paid for to stay at Locanda Gallo through Hotels.com, the man replied that this was a matter between us and Hotels.com.

When Hotels.com was contacted, we were told to speak to whoever was ‘at the reception’. I countered that there was no one for us to talk to in person, and the man on the mobile phone was referring us back to Hotels.com. The Hotels.com customer representative was adamant that we needed to speak to that man on the mobile. When we called him back, his response was that he wasn’t actually in Florence, and if we wanted to sort something out, he could provide us with ‘lesser’ accommodations and ‘some money’ the next day. This rang alarm-bells, as we were not going to put our statutory rights in jeopardy by entering into a new arrangement with someone we had not met – and wasn’t available in person.

There was something of a tennis match going on, with us going back and forth between Hotels.com and the Man on The End of the Phone (there wasn’t anything else to call him – he didn’t give us his name). One of the Hotels.com customer service representatives we spoke to told us that this man couldn’t speak English (he did to us). Another Hotels.com representative told us that he was around the corner and if we waited a few more minutes he would come and arrange alternative accommodations.

By this time we were halfway across Florence, desperately trying to find another place to stay. The only relationship that offers any legal protection was between Hotels.com and us (not us and an anonymous mobile phone number), yet Hotels.com were disavowing our relationship when contacted. Hotels.com had already taken money from our credit card. They made no effort to resolve our problem with any of Hotels.com’s own resources, instead leaving us to fend for ourselves.

We contacted Hotels.com for assistance and were presented with absolutely no solution, other than being told that we should engage with an unsavoury person seemingly partaking in a scam. We were left on hold nearly ten minutes each time we contacted Hotels.com, which, due to international roaming, incurred great expense to our mobile account.

I cannot describe how helpless it feels to be left on a doorstep in a city of a country whose language you do not speak, with the night closing in, surrounded by luggage. Significantly out of pocket, having been charged first by Hotels.com, then our mobile provider, then the (more expensive) Hotel we eventually stayed in. I eventually had to turn to my bank to refund the money as Hotels.com flatly refused!

Because we had come to Florence specifically for cooking, our food budget quadrupled from having no access to a kitchen. We felt particularly aggrieved; if Hotels.com had offered something as simple as an alternative self-catering booking, everything would have been fine.

It is too risky to book accommodation in Locanda Gallo or any hotel via Hotels.com

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

As some others have pointed out, this is more an apartment than a hotel, there isn't somebody on the property all of the time, and you should have a cell phone when you show up.

We showed up outside of the 1000-1300 window, and before when we told them we'd be there. I called the phone number and Jacopo showed up 10 minutes later.

Our room was clean, well maintained and secure. Free wireless was provided by the property.

Although the walk from the train station wasn't inspiring, the walk south to the Ponte Vecchio made up for it.

Nobody made the bed or replaced the towels, but then again I wasn't expecting it.

To sum up, I'd stay here again, and that means a lot.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We had gone on the locanda gallo website well in advance to book a specific room with kitchenette in order to try and save money on food.

When we arrived, the owner showed me that the toilet is broken so we can't stay in the room... This can happen anywhere, no big deal... BUT the room he showed me was clearly NOT the room we had booked since it had no kitchen corner and looked nothing like the photos.

They obviosuly had no other rooms since he called his friend at some other hotel... He then sent me to the other hotel with the WRONG address and 2 phone numbers, one of which had no answer. When I finally reached the other hotel and found someone who spoke english, they gave me the proper address.... Once I found the new place, the lady was pretty rude and said "leave your bags, then come back after 8 PM"... Excuse me?? We were exhausted, needed a shower and she would not even show me the room, so for all I know I could be waiting all day to end up in a hole in the wall. Never mind that 95% of hotels have check in time around 3-4 PM not eight.

Needless to say, I found a different hotel for a cheaper price where everything went perfectly smooth.

Bottom Line = The owner is not very organized, and this made for a very stressful experience which I could have avoided by booking elsewhere.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

My boyfirend and I really enjoyed our stay at the Locanda Gallo. Having read the other reviews, we knew that this was more of an apartment and not a hotel, so we did not expect the amenities of a hotel (fresh towels, bed making, etc). The room was quaintly decorated with a very efficient kitchen (thanks for the stove top espresso maker and sugar!), and mini fridge. Attached bathroom was clean with good water pressure. Jacabo, property manager, was very accomodating. As recommended by others, if you can, bring a cell phone to call when you arrive, or if you have any issues. Jacabo truely will come and help you with whatever you need, you just need to be able to get in touch with him. Quiet for sleeping. Take a bus from the train station to Piazza S. Marco; this will save you the hike from the train station. Overall, a fantastic stay. Great residential neighborhood, with an easy walk into the city center, without the prices of the city center. We'll be planning on staing here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

It was about a 20-25min walk from train station and when we arrived there was no answer at the door but fortunately a postal woker arrived at the same time and we got in when she buzzed the buildings other residents.

The man at the reception desk was very friendly and helpful and asked if the room was ok - a first! It was up 3 flights of stairs but we were backpacking so used to walking lots anyway.

We were very close to the Duomo, museums and river with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby as well. I recommend the 'Ristorante da Mimmo' just up the road if you stay here.

The room was not serviced each day which isn't a problem for me - I know how to make a bed and feel it is a waste of time for staff that we only end up paying for and I don't use fresh towels every day at home either so no problems that they didn't get changed. Maybe after a week or so fresh towels would be desired but we only stayed for 3 nights.

The air-conditioner didn't work very well, we had it set to 30C but it only seemed to get to 20C. Fortunately the weather was pleasant and therefore it wasn't really required.

I liked this hotel and its location, the only small issue I had is the office is only open from 10am to 1pm and even then the door was shut a lot of the time.

Otherwise, a nice, clean, comfortable and cheap hotel in a good location. I would recommend it.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — office hours
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Locanda Gallo? Share your experiences!