“Luxurious & Cosy Hotel in the Center of Florence” 5 of 5 stars

You added Casa Howard Guest Houses to your Saves list
Casa Howard Guest Houses
Via della Scala 18, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #207 of 516 Florence B&B and Inns
“Luxurious & Cosy Hotel in the Center of Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Definitely recommendable hotel with a special flare. Perfect location for any kind of traveling (business, family, couple or single):
- Beautiful and artistic rooms
- Extremely friendly staff
- Perfect location in the center of Florence
- Quiet rooms

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
California City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed in florence for 4 nights, the first impression when we arrived, we were pleased, the rooms was beautifully decorated and very clean. Our luggage were even carried by 2 ladies to our room. They are very helpful and kind, the young girl gave us direction for tourist spot and suggestion for restaurant. One day when we came back we heard the owner screaming to the two housekeeper while there are some guests around. He treated his staff like slave, and we saw them working from morning to evening, ( 24 hours service). I'm also working for a public relation but i can't treated the people working for me like what he did for his staff. I've traveled all over the world, but this is my first time I saw, the owner shouted to his workers, incredible bad manners.
There are only two good points in this guest house, it's centrally located and very clean, also the staff is available for 24 hours services.

Avoid to meet the owner.

Room Tip: all rooms are beautifully decorated
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

-This guesthouse was very responsive on the email when I wrote in to enquire about booking for our stay in May 2014.
-The guesthouse is well-located near the train station. Very convenient if you need to catch trains in and out of florence.
-Breakfast was simple but delicious.
-Some of the rooms were really beautifully designed. Like a decorated house from a design magazine.
-We weren't told of the breakfast charges and the need to record choice of breakfast timing. We verbally told the housekeeper when we like our breakfast for our stay but after our first breakfast, we waited in vain for the second one, only to find out that we had to write on their record book to get breakfast. That was the morning that we really needed our breakfast as we had to take a 2.5 hours ride out to the vineyards, we ended up having to endure hungry pangs all the way till lunch.
- Some of the rooms are really small and aircon can be noisy.
What I cannot understand is that with so many feedback about less than satisfactory service from the Housekeepers, why haven't the owner done anything about it? I saw the reviews before I went and I thought this should have been fixed by now given that correcting bad service attitude should be paramount for this business. I can tolerate small rooms, disturbing sounds from aircon but certainly not a tempermental service attitude.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Canada, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My friend recommended Casa Howard for our first visit, but I found that this hotel is a poor guest house over our stay in Italy. The entrance have smell of drainage. When we check in, we ask to the housekeeper the aircondition, and they said we cannot use the aircondition because still part of the heating, We cant manage to sleep at night and we left our window open for all night so we can get some rest after 24 hours of travel but the problem is the street noise and full of mosquitoes. Also citing on the website of an internet connection but very poor.The only good thing for CASA HOWARD is the two friendly ladies that giving us informations, directions. The place is close to tourist attractions and near to the train station.

Room Tip: Not at all....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had booked both the twin rooms, but had a major problem with smell in one of the rooms. They did change the room right away. We had come here direct from a stay at Casa Howard Via Capo Le Case in Rome and the quality of service provided in Rome was definitely superior and the housekeeper there was friendlier.

The location in Florence too is central and makes it in easy walkable distance of most places, or the train station and buses are available very near.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

This was my fifth visit to Casa Howard, which is a beautifully designed set of rooms near the train station and next door to the wonderful Officina Farmacia Santa Maria Novella.

The rooms are all different and I have had enjoyable days before in the Drawing Room, Library, Fireplace Room and my favourite, the Owner's studio. I have always had excellent service and love the location and aesthetic. This time I booked and prepaid for the Fireplace Room - a lovely room to share, with both a free standing bathtub and a walk in shower. As it was my fifth visit I was told I would receive complimentary breakfast.

On arrival, the first thing I noticed was a rather funky smell in the downstairs lobby area which I had never noticed on previous stays. Once inside the hotel the smell was diminished but it was still a little off-putting every time we returned to the hotel.

I was greeted by one of the two Filipina housekeepers - she tried to charge me again for the rooms and was quite put out when I showed her the confirmation email acknowledging full pre-payment. She then offered me breakfast at 8 euros per night. Again I was able to dig out an email confirming that it was complimentary. And on being shown, somewhat brusquely into the room, I had to dig out my blackberry again to prove that I had asked for twin beds.

Being proved wrong didn't help her mood but her blatant surliness (we didn't get a smile or a civil word from her for the rest of our five night stay) didn't live up to the promises I had made my guest about the excellence of the establishment.

After some rather derogatory and insulting grumbling to her colleague which I only understood in part - my Tagalog being a little haphazard - the initial hiccups were glossed over without apology. Thereafter whenever possible I tried to deal with Mina, who we dubbed "Smily", rather than her colleague "Surly".

Breakfast was actually very good by Continental standards with fresh fruit, yoghurt, a rather sweet croissant, toast, honey, butter and Nespresso coffee with warm milk. On one day when there was no yoghurt it was replaced with a perfectly soft boiled egg. We supplemented it with some sliced salumi and cheeses from the central market and it made a lovely start to each day.

The only issue is that each day you have to write in a logbook the time you want your breakfast the next day. One day we were doing a day trip to Sienna and San Gimignano, so the book was not out when we left at 8:30am. And by the time we got back at about 10:30pm I forgot. I remembered the next day at 6:00am when I heard movement in the pantry next to our room - I am a light sleeper - and I got up to find Surly setting out three breakfast trays. I asked if it was too late to order for 8:00am. I was told that two of the trays she was preparing were for 8:00am so I could have it at 9:00am. (We had had breakfast for the first three days at 8:00am each morning).

Now I said the breakfast was good but it was hardly Heston Blumenthal and cutting up and apple wasn't likely to take an hour. But I wasn't Surly's favourite person so I left it.

Maybe three stars is harsh. I got what I ordered eventually though I had to fight for it. And the apartments are as pretty as they always have been and in the same excellent location.

Perhaps if I had not had such good service on my previous stays, and if the lobby had not smelled like a street sleeper was living in it, I would have given five stars. But I could not in all conscience say that this stay was very good. The apartments are not cheap and in the circumstances it is things like cleanliness and service which make the difference between an okay stay and something better.

I will be looking other options next time I visit Florence.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I booked the Hidden Room for my husband and I for a 3 night stay in April.

The two lovely ladies that takes care of the place were very pleasant and very helpful with everything we needed. The room was extremely tiny with barely any space to store or open up your bags. This was a mission and we actually couldnt wait to leave Venice because it was a rather uncomfortable and unpractical room.

The shower and sunken tub was in the bedroom, the shower had a wooden flooring which is so uncomfortable under the foot, my shower time was rather fast due to this, the sunken tub was right next to the shower and directly in front of the bed, the water temperature was not warm enough to even fill up the tub and enjoy this feature of the room.

The TV was situated behind the tub and on the floor, we couldn't even see the TV from the bed. The toilet was situated as soon as you enter the room on the left, again very tiny and the only mirror situated in the room was in the toilet. Poor lighting in the toilet as well.

Advice to travelers, if you have big luggage or like space, DO NOT choose this room, you will be claustrophobic during your entire stay. Not worth the price we paid.

Room Tip: Choose a bigger room if you have luggage
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Howard Guest Houses? Share your experiences!