“Good location, basic room, no wifi” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Nazionale
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nazionale 22, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #291 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Cardiff
“Good location, basic room, no wifi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We booked on the 27th May having searched Expedia for wifi included hotels in the centre. On arrival, the first thing the lady told my wife was that the wifi had been down for a month as she was changing providers. Wifi is something we really rely on when we travel as we use it to keep in touch with friends, check restaurants, weather and things to see (blessed TA), so we spent quite a long portion of that evening looking for places that had wifi that worked (the pub next door had wifi what wouldn't let you connect).

In the morning, when we mentioned to the lady that we had booked wifi, she told us we should have read the terms and conditions as it stated there that wifi was not available until the end of June. I checked this out later as I had printed out the contract and there were no such terms when I had booked, so they had been added since I had booked a couple of weeks before (I suspect shortly after my wife arrived the previous evening, but have not asked Expedia about this).

It put a downer on the three days of our trip really, but if you aren't worried about such things, the room itself was basic (no tv) but clean and very well located. It is not really a hotel, but more a hostel with a normal door at street level, but quiet enough and with en suite). I must say, in other respects, the lady was very helpful and also discounted our stay 5 euros a day when we left and appeared to genuinely care in an argumentative sort of way.

We took some time (without the Internet and TA to help us) finding a good place to eat and would recommend the buffet at Cruise Lounge Bar a couple of blocks away. For 8 euros, you get a generous glass of good wine and well prepared cold buffet with pasta, salad, fish, calamari, sandwiches and so on. We found it late, but hopefully this may help someone.

Room Tip: I recommend asking about whether the wifi is sorted (may have mentioned that in my review ;-) )
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
IRAN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hotel is located in a good area near to all important parts of florence. However there is no elevator there is a friendly Manola there who always ready to healp you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Matteo and Manola treat you like family. This is a nice, simple, conveniently located hotel in the heart of Florence. Hotel Nazionale is perfect for the college student, the backpacker, the budget traveler or anyone who wants a simple hotel with no fuss. The hotel is a quick walk from the SMN train station.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Hotel Nazionale was a wonderful place to stay when I visited Florence. The rooms are large, the beds are comfy, and each room has it's own private bathroom and shower, which is really really nice! The staff couldn't have been nicer, which was one less thing we had to worry about. The location is great. Just a couple minute walk from the main train station, so you don't have to drag your bags very far, and you don't have to worry about paying for a cab! It's about a 7-10 minute walk from the main town square (Piazza del Dumo) and only a five minute walk to the San Lorenzo Market. The staff is very willing to help you if you need recommendations or directions getting somewhere. You also get free breakfast, which you won't find at every hotel. I strongly recommend Hotel Nazionale for your stay in Florence. I will definitely stay there when I go back!

ps. room 9 (one of the triple rooms) has a great view of the Duomo :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Our room was large with a view of the Duomo. Right across the street from the Santa Maria Novella train station but still a quiet area. Easy to get around by walking. Very near two bus companies that will take you anywhere in Tuscany. The five free computers down on the mezzanine is a great help. Breakfast was filling and varied. For the price I couldn't ask for anything more (about $80 per night, dbl). The hotel looked better than it did on it's website. Two elevators. Seems they know how to run an efficient, basic but comfortable hotel at a great rate. Desk people very warm and welcoming.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I stayed in this hotel after being shocked by the dirt of the hotel across the road from it.
The manger kindly gave us a room after we had no where to go , he had not got 3 nights available in this room as we had not booked in advance we just walked in from the street . however for the second 2 nights he had a different room for us.
The first room was a large family room with a balancy it was spotless with everything we needed other than a hair dryer, but the staff got one for me.
Every day the staff came to my room with hot water and milk and an empty cup as i had brought my own tea bags from dublin. This was great as i love my cup of tea.
The second room was smaller but air con tv clean bed and shower room still having my cup of tea.
Both rooms have tiled floors with is great as you can see it was clean.
We didnt have breckfast as i like to get up early and pick my own breckfast.
The location was great train station only 5min walk dumo was about 5mins aswell
there is buses at the train station that can take you to far places.
There is a nice cafe afew doors away from the hotel and the food is priced ok, 4euro for toasted cheese and ham bap. Lots of markets just around the corner and good shops on the same street.
The only thing that was not good about the hotel is you have to walk up 4 flights of stairs
they have a lift but it was out of order.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Nazionale? Share your experiences!