“Price, location, room - perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Souvenir
Via Ventisette Aprile 9 | San Lorenzo, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #378 of 460 Hotels in Florence
Krakow, Poland
“Price, location, room - perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Me and my boyfriend came to Florence at 23:00 and had no place to stay. We found Hotel Souvenir by luck on booking.com webside. Even though check-in was until 19.30 the owner was so nice to us, he let us in and offered us a double room with a private bathroom only for 70 euros for 2 nights for 2 people. The room was amazing! It had tv, dvd, microwave, fridge, radio and everything was working! And through our window we had a view on a dome Duomo. Location is perfect - 15 min walk to the center. The owner told us that we can take a food or drink from a kitchen and he agreed also to keep our luggage for hole next day without paying extra for deposit. If we'll come back to Florence, we'll definitely come back to this hotel! Thank you a lot!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Me and my girlfriend arrived to the hotel after 11pm so long after check in time. It turned out that the owner was still around and he not only checked us in, but gave us a far better room that we actually booked. We paid 70€ for two nights. So 17.50€ each per night! For this price the room was very nice! Huge double bed, large TV with a DVD player, a small fridge, huge closet and a very nice bathroom with a shower that cood easily fit two people;) Moreover, from our window we had a view over the famous red dome! Luckily it was some kind of a local holiday so in the evening we were watching fireworks over the dome while sipping wine just at our window.

In general we felt a very home-like atmosphere, the owner was very friendly, speaking English, he let us use the common kitchen, offered us drinks and food. After checking out we could keep our luggage in the hotel with no extra charges. And of course the location is great, maybe 15 minutes walk from Piazza del Duomo!

Of course if you compare Hotel Souvenir to other 'more stars' hotels it has many drawbacks, but if you want to travel with a small budget it can be very satisfying. Me and my girlfriend had a very good time staying at Souvenir!

• Stayed June 2013
Delta, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We got to the hotel about about 3:30 and no one was there to let us in. The door was locked and although we stood there and rang the bell for 1/2 an hour no one responded. We had to make other arrangements and are now staying at another hotel. The Souvenir hotel entrance is disgusting and dirty...I can't imagine what was on the other side of the door. I went back later and rang the bell again and no one answered then either. This hotel should not be in your list of accomodations. It truly is unbelievable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Wow

I have travelled to over 42 countries world wide and this is my worst by far.

Stayed here as Expedia did a royal F up and booked me into this hotel in error as I should have been three floors lower down in the same building ( all with no lift). Arrived at 6PM in the middle of Pitti Uomo a huge trade fair so with no internet access bit the bullet and took a leap of faith.

On arrival met by the owner ( the wrong side of 100, not a day younger) who could not speak either English or Italian as her decibel level was just above 2db and had a whisper like "Whisper" out of Live and Let Die.

Yes my nightmare had come true and with the assistance of some guests confirmed I was sharing their Italian experience.

I had a double room, complete with basin and bidet, no curtains, two bedside lamps, (only one bulb but hey thats saving energy the Italian way) and a bed that has seen its best, I had the image of rather round people bouncing and rolling around hence every, yes every spring popping through the mattress.

One pillow ( not down filled) polyester blankets, the wardrobe had the unusual feature of not having a rail but a curtain rail screwed to the top of the wardrobe with coat hangers hanging off the curtain hooks, novel. Tried the chest of drawer, yes one drawer but as the handles fell off never managed to open it up

The bathroom was a gem, no loo roll, no hot water, no soap, a shower but no attachment so if you were one armed would be fun trying to shower, I have two but still like the idea of hanging the shower head up.

Due to a haphazard manner in which the shower head sprayed I managed to circumnavigate the shower curtain straight onto the tiled floor.

To avoid breaking my neck I used the towel left on the floor to dry and mop up the water, ( it was still there three days later yes I had three days of fun)

Next day a charming guest had vomited in the loo but "forget" to flush it a pleasant start to day two in a beautiful Renaissance city, still no loo roll but I was prepared and found one on the floor below which I "borrowed" and utilised from the previous night.

I stayed three nights ,( yes I am clinically insane) but after copious amounts of red wine I had my drunk head on and saw the funny side. As I had two early wake up calls due to my back being attacked my a worn out bed spring ( yes think off all those large people mating) i took my Mothers advice and slept on top of the pure polyester and borrowed the bedding from next door, a result best night sleep but managed to have a serious dose of flea bites from my vacant neighbours bedding.

Great location, charming host ( Mother and Son) but the worst experience ever, stay if you have no choice ( Florence was full) or if you have fallen out with sleeping rough and want to appreciate sleeping on a park bench ( I did that one but it was 24 years ago)

Recommend to your ex mother in law, ex boss, ex lover etc etc but not to any mortal who still inhales and exhales.
Oh and the cost €50 a night ( flees included)

On the flip side, home has never been more appealing and after freezing the contents of my wardrobe have removed my Italian siphonapterists. ( Latin for fleas)

Room Tip: Try the street its a better option.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We arrived in Souvenir Maya, after climbing the three floors of steep stairs, stained and littered, creating an initial poor impression, we then had to track down and wait on the 'proprietor' to finally let us into our rooms. What disappointment, the rooms were tired, with torn and faded décor, they did have beside lamps/fan/ fridge and mini safe but each of these were broken, I did try the fan but quickly turned it off when smoke came billowing out! We did have an ensuite bathroom with a fairly powerful shower and fresh towels but no complimentary soap/toiletries.Our stay was for 3 days and during that we never encountered any cleaning staff , just the owner who popped in and out to meet new arrivals , however he did supply us with clean towels when we asked.The location was the only good thing about this accommodation , there was a very good cafe that served a substantial breakfast around the corner, as our 'hotel' does not provide breakfast. Because of the price and cheapness of the hotel we did not have expectations of grandeur but did expect cleanliness and basic working services. With a little TLC and deployment of cleaning staff this establishment could become a decent budget experience but a Hotel it is Not!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I booked Hotel Giovanni at the first place. Within 24 hours of arrival, we received an email from Hotel Giovanni saying that one of their guests was not feeling well and have to stay extra nights. Hotel Giovanni send us to Hotel Souvenir (which is approx 10 minutes away - further from the center). The staff at Hotel Giovanni speaks neither a word of English nor French, which makes it very difficult for us to communicate. Finally we got into our room, the toilet is at the corner of the room, enclosed, but with no ventilation and light (I suppose there is a light bulb, but it turns on automatically when you are not in the washroom). Yuk...washroom with no vent - we ended up using the public/common washroom in the hotel!! When I read the review from other travellers after we moved our luaggage into the room, I'm like, gosh, hotels with bed bugs are the worth that can ever happened! I couldn't sleep on the first night. We bump into another guy who got sent from another hotel - so I'm sure this is a backup hotel. Please...if you were sent to this hotel from another hotel, let them know you want to get a refund - don't stay at this hotel!! it's the worst nightmare that could've ever happened!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We didn't read any reviews first we just booked online. The place it filthy and the bathrooms look like something out one of the Saw movies. We had a shower in the middle of our room which was just odd. They claimed to have air conditioning but it was just a fan so we slept with the window open and got to hear sirens all night I think there is either a hospital or police station nearby.

Worst thing is BED BUGS. We could deal with the filthy bathroom and noise as part of our European experience but not bugs. After much haggling we were given a refund for the 2 nights we were still planning on staying. The owner has perfect English but once we started complaining he acted like he only spoke Italian!

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Souvenir? Share your experiences!