“Affordable standard quality” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #253 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Affordable standard quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I'm really not sure how you could walk around for an hour an a half trying to find this place given that if you walk to the end of the street (coming from the hotel) and turn right, you're looking at the Santa Maria Novella train station.... but hey, it happens, people get lost. We did, but only because we'd walked for 45 minutes in the opposite direction to get to a B&B where the owner was out all day and we couldn't check in!
All we wanted was somewhere to sleep and a place to wash. We got an en-suite room with TV for 50 euros and given the proximity to the train station and the facilities available, we were happy with that. The bed was comfy, the room was big and clean and I didn't have to put 5 cents in the elevator to get our baggage upstairs so I was happy. It was nothing special, but it was good for what we wanted.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Hotel Bijou
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. It was a nightmare. PLEASE DON’T STAY here if you like to be confortable and good quality. It’s better to sleep on the train station or the street instead to stay at this hotel.
I would NOT recommend this TRAP at all. Expedia should remove this hotel from their site, it’s a plenty SCAM, gave my money for nothing. It was definitely the LOWEST point of our trip. Aside from being very conveniently located next to the train station

This Hotel was booked online thru EXPEDIA and choose by the trip advisor reviews (which are totally wrong). We booked a double bed (queen). When we arrived the reception (a guy) who were NOT friendly at all and very rude.. We were assigned for a double twin bedroom upstairs and I immediately told to the front desk guy that my husband is a handicapped person we can’t stay upstairs and he offered us a small room downstairs but separate twin bed, so since we didn’t have many choice we accepted his offer.
The room was tiny and there was no air conditioning. Our room was on the street side so we knew street sounds would keep us awake. The worst part was we didn’t see any bathrooms inside the room which was inconvenient and we asked for that and he told us “You have to go upstairs for shower, because the shower downstairs has not hot water” OMG! One of the bathrooms had a flooded floor, the shower you barely can bend out to rub your legs, you have to open the door of the shower to do it.
The first day after I took shower in the morning, after I took shower going back to my room downstairs, I slipped on the steps (Concrete) and I fell, so I hit my back (Thanks GOD I didn’t hit my head) and I couldn’t move at all, I yell several times and cried but nobody helped me and heard me at all. The sad part is that my husband couldn’t hear either because he was in the room or it was away from the stairs. I have evidence and have the pictures to prove the significant damage on of all my shots in my body, as I got up on my own little by little until I walked back to my room, my husband was so nervous since he saw me in pain. As you can see it ruined my day to attending at the sightseen sites that we planned for the day. Immediately I reported to the guy in the front desk and he just simple replied “ Sorry to hear that, be more careful next time”…..Can you believe it?
• They charge you for 5 euros to use the Internet (Not very Handy).
• There was cable TV with mainly Italian channels and no fridge.
• The location was good – literally 2 minutes from the station
• The room was NASTY, they don’t change the bed sheet every day, they kept the same for the two nights we stayed.
• It is a 10 minute walk to the Duomo
• There are two shared restrooms on this main floor. The showerhead in the bathroom
• No private Bath

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
etrusco66, Direttore at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
It 's very sad to see people waste time on Internet to write inaccuracies and falsehoods. The first falsehood is your title, you say that the Hotel Bijou is the worst in the world (Gosh! Who knows how bad we were towards you...), but then you contradict your statement immediately saying that it's the worst you visited (obviously, you could not visit all the hotels of the world). Another great falsehood is about the lack of air conditioning in your room: we are sorry for you, but at the Hotel Bijou all rooms have air conditioning, also the room where you stayed is equipped with A/C. The room that you booked has not a private bathroom because you have booked a double room (double bed) with shared bathroom, WIFI not included, breakfast not included, city tax not included: you knew that very well. A double room (double bed) with shared bathroom is upstairs, if you wanted a room for a disabled person to avoid stairs you had to call the hotel some days before arrival, but you did not do that: so, when you arrived here, we could only propose you a twin room with external bath (that costs more than a room with double bed) at no extra charge, and you accepted it. Of course, shared bath means you pay less but you have to use this bath along with other people, and a lot of guests use it in an inappropriate way; of course, the hotel is not responsible for that. If you wanted a room with more services, private bathroom, WIFI, etc., you had to ask the front desk to change rooms, pay more money, or choose a high-class hotel: it is useless to write a nonsense novel to "avenge" on a hotel, obviously the hotel do not earn a cent but the guests neither.
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

After some the scathing reviews here I was a bit worried about our stay ahead of time, but it turned out to be exactly what we were looking for: The cheapest and most convenient option for our needs in Florence (a place to sleep!). The front desk staff was nice, no problems, and good to have 24 hour for easy coming and going (they will ask you to leave your key, so no need to worry about carrying around the city). There's an elevator in the building, which was nice when arriving with luggage and after taking the steps to the top of the Duomo! Room and shared bathroom (right outside our door) was clean and cleaned daily with replacement towels. They did not let us use the kitchen, but were nice enough to lend a sharp knife for us to cut cheese, bread, and tomatoes when we bought groceries from the local market for lunch one day. Would have been nice if Internet was free, but after paying 5 euro our internet connection worked for longer than the allotted time so double check to see if your user name & pw are still working before paying again. All in all, nothing special and certainly not fancy here but definitely convenient to the train station (just around the corner) and easy walking to everything in Florence, which means it's easy to pop back to the room in the middle of the day as well. We did get some mosquitoes, although my husband was much more irritated than I was as I had expected as much. Screens are not used at all in Italy and I dealt with much worse mosquitoes when I lived in Florence years ago. If you're looking for a beautiful luxury hotel in Florence look elsewhere, but if you'd rather spend your money on leather jackets and only need a basic place to sleep Bijou is a good option.

Florence, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

After walking around the seedy side of Florence for 1 1/2 hours, we finally found the hotel. the directions on the website were not correct. Our room was tiny and there was no air conditioning. Our room was on the street side so we knew street sounds would keep us awake. When we asked that the air conditioner be turned on, the man said to just open the windows, only old people need airconditioners. One of the bathrooms had a flooded floor, that remained that way until we left. After not sleeping all night, we packed our things and told the receptionist we were checking out. This particular receptionist became angry and said we had to pay for all 3 nights. I told him the website gave wrong info about the hotel and that we were not paying. I tried calling the booking agency to find out what to do. I had to pay 5 euros to use the internet, and suddenly it would not work. I had used it the night before and it was fine. When I complained to the same man, he said that wasn't his problem - that it was the internet providers' problem. He would not give me my money back for that either. AFter and hour and a half, we paid and left. I will try to work it out with my credit card company. No sleep, rudeness, mosquitoes in our room, and paying for 2 nights we did not receive makes for a ruined few days in Florence, Italy.

Room Tip: they do not offer air conditioning!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We booked here but ended up in Hotel Annabella which occupies the same building and is apparently a higher star rating. On check in we realized our room was situated off the reception and we could hear every word the desk staff said in our room. Concerned that we would be kept awake / woken up we asked if it was possible to move rooms (which I never do!) and they agreed we could for our second night. However the owner (?) then came to speak to me and advised that the alternative room was in the lower quality Hotel Bijou and he did not think I would be happy.. He then showed me the room which was indeed lower quality in terms of an un-renovated bathroom and older furnishings.

On this basis I decided to keep our room and hope the noise wasn’t too bad. In fact it was ok and we weren’t woken up. I guess this was honest as they couldve just moved us as we requested and left us in the lower standard room.

Apart from the noise concerns our room was very small with only a standard double bed pushed up against the wall and room for a wardrobe, the bathroom in contrast was large and newly renovated with standard toiletries. Doors at the end of the room opened out onto a balcony which saved the room from feeling too prison-like due to its size. There was cable tv with mainly Italian channels and no fridge.

We had an almost bizarre stand-off with the guy at the front desk over the air-con remote as he stated it was not needed despite our room being very hot. He repeatedly advised us to open the windows instead. We insisted on having the remote as our booking clearly stated air con was included – luckily - as after initially following his advice we ended up with mosquitoes in the room so promptly shut the windows and turned on the air con. However when the room was cleaned the next day the remote was removed! Fortunately that day was cooler so it wasn’t needed but if we had wanted it, I would have felt uncomfortable having that discussion again. I can’t comment on breakfast as we decided not to pay extra for it – there are plenty of cafes in the vicinity.

The location was good – literally 2 minutes from the station and the room was clean but due to the size of the room, I would probably look around if I were to return to Florence.

Baden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Perfect accommodations for people who plan on only using their rooms to sleep in. Florence is full of places to go and things to see so having a nice comfortable and clean bed at the end of the day should be all you need from your hostel/hotel. It is very close to the train station (6 minute walk) and close to a bakery and a grocery store. It is a 10 minute walk to the Duomo and has 24 hour reception so you can come and go as you please. We also got a very good restaurant recommendation from the staff.

The only negative thing I can think of is that the doors slam pretty violently and the sound is very booming (or it did on the topmost floor). It is impossible to sleep in when your fellow building occupants are coming and going from their rooms but at least you'll be up early to enjoy Florence.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Small yes, unobtrusive no, why would anyone want to stay in fancy hotels in Florence - I have no idea - it's not like you spend any time in your room anyway right? It's next to the station about 10 minute walk to where all the action happens - and seemed to be good value for money!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Bijou? Share your experiences!