“The bathroom/toilet is without a proper door neither a proper wall...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of San Frediano Mansion

You added San Frediano Mansion to your Saves list
San Frediano Mansion
Via Borgo San Frediano 8, 50124 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #407 of 522 Florence B&B and Inns
Florence, Italy
“The bathroom/toilet is without a proper door neither a proper wall...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Positive points:
The location is great, right in the center of oltrarno area, very convenient. The room is big and average clean, there were 2 single mattresses with different thickness but quite comfortable. The staff was friendly. The room was quiet. There is a little fridge and there is a TV.

Negative points:
The bathroom/toilet was obviously added into the room but without building a wall or even a real door, it's like you sleep right next to an open toilet, there's even just a plastic board on the top of the "bathroom/toilet box", you can hear and smell anything from the bathroom, which wasn't the best experience. And the floor seems fragile that the room vibrates when you walk.

Conclusion:
If you pay under 70 euros for a double room, I think it's probably worth it. Otherwise I am not sure about it. I don't suggest couples to go here. Friends or business trip is probably ok.

Room Tip: Room no.4 is probably the only room which doesn't have a proper bathroom, other rooms might be m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Location of this B&B is excellent, about 10 mins walk from the Ponte Vecchio making it close to all the local attractions, but is on the south side of the river arno, making it quieter and less touristy.
The room was big and spacious, the 'double' bed was two singles pushed together, we also had 2 other spare single beds in the room too, so would suit a group/family travelling together and would be even better value. (Room 2)
We received an email from them about 2 days before we were due to check in, asking what time we were expecting to arrive, as if we didn't then we may be waiting a while outside as there might not be someone there. This was all very well, but we were already on part of our trip, and didn't actually pick up this email until we returned home. It would have been more help for them to tell us this with plenty of notice, having said that, there was someone there when we arrived, so it wasn't an issue.
When we booked, we were aware that they do a credit card authorisation check (their insurance incase you don't turn up and they need to charge the cancellation rate) but when they did this for us, they put through a charge of EUR51. When I brought it to their attention, they offered us breakfast for this, but this didn't seem to be good value, we stopped emailing when it didn't seem that they really understood what we were asking which was to deduct it from the final payment due. When we checked out, there was no record of this, after a few minutes of explanations however, they did agree to do this on production of some of this email trail. Just keep an eye out on your statement when you book, and take a copy of it with you if you want to ensure you don't end up paying the full amount.

Room Tip: Room 2 has 4 single beds, which can be made as a double and 2 singles, so could suit a family or a g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Loved staying on the other side of the Arno, in this great B&B, which was very reasonably priced. I had a lovely view of the river, in a huge room. Piero and Tiziana could not have been more helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I visited Florence for nine nights in October 2011. I wanted to be within walking distance of S.M. Novella train station, and I wanted to be in the Oltrarno section of Florence, as to me, it is the most interesting; and I wanted to be able to walk to all the museums+palazzos I intended to visit. This was my second visit to Florence this year, so I knew what I wanted...art, music, good food, and convenient location to all. San Frediano Mansion met all the geographical requirements and were prompt about their replies to my questions. But when I arrived there (10 minute walk from station) I knew I had found my 'home away from home' for my subsequent trips to Florence. Tiziana and Piero couldn't have been kinder, more cordial, or more pleasant. I was lucky enough to have one of the rooms with painted ceiling and view of the Arno (there are only a couple of these). You can't ask for better than this!!!

I am an American who lives in Europe, and I think it is fair to say that Americans are picky about cleanliness, the mattress, and the shower in our accommodations when traveling. San Frediano Mansion passes with flying colors on all three! The breakfasts are provided at a congenial cafe around the corner, with excellent cappuccino and an assortment of sandwiches and pastries. I also like fresh fruit and yogurt for my breakfast, so asked the B+B when I made the booking, if they had rooms with a small fridge, and was given one. This gave me just the breakfast I wanted to have enough 'fuel' for a long morning and early afternoon of sightseeing and walking. The cafe is two doors from one of the best gelaterias in Florence, and right next to the Ponte Caraia. It couldn't have been more perfect for me, and I look forward to returning to San Frediano Mansion on my next visit to Florence - which will be soon, I hope! : )

Room Tip: If light is important to you, or a painted ceiling+view of the Arno, I'm sure you have to book e...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We give this bed and breakfast some very high and some not so great marks. The staff was very friendly and helpful - they helped us sign up for tours, make restaurant reservations, and call for a cab when needed. The room was also quite large - we had two rooms for two of us, one a kitchen with a sizeable table and couch (the fridge was a definite plus since the B&B didn't offer breakfast, so I could keep yogurt for the mornings), and the other a bedroom with bath. The location was fine - about a ten minute walk to the train station and ten in the other direction to the Ponte Vecchio, and there was free wireless internet in the main entrance room. However, there were some less than appetizing parts of our stay - the walls were covered in spots, which we soon realized were mosquito remains (there were many mosquitoes both in Florence and in our room!), and there was black mold growing in the shower, which was only tiled up to about elbow height and the rest just normal painted wall. The air conditioning was also not very good, and we were asked to turn it off when we were not there, so our room got very hot between when we left in the morning and when we came back in the evening.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

When I travel I usually don't spend a lot of money on hotels--because I don't spend that much time in them and I want to use my money on experiences/food/siteseeing/etc. But I DO want to stay in a place that is CLEAN, well located, air conditioned, has free wifi, and friendly service. San Frediano Mansion hits the nail on the head every time for these conditions and for me it is a fantastic bargain.

I traveled with a friend, and we wanted separate beds--our room (which was #2) was VERY specious and included a king-sized bed (two twins smushed together) and a separate twin bed. This particular room is in the back, and was very quiet at night--no street noise. The bathroom is very spacious and has an oversized shower, bidet, etc. The floors and carpet were very clean. The room included a safety box and a minibar (which I never use, however). It is on the second floor of an old building in the Oltrarno, and has an elevator to reach it. Or you can walk up a large grand staircase.

The only experience I had that was a little questionable---when I wrote to them about a room and to get a rate, they quoted a rate that was Euro 20 higher than what was posted on their website. I kept insisting on the rate as advertised, and even booked using the automated system online. And so, I got the advertised rate. I would have appreciate more consistency between my private emails with them and their quoted web rates.

Speaking of rates: the rate of Euro 60 for this accommodation was outstanding! If you are looking for a good ratio of price and amenities, in Florence, you will find it here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The San Frediano Mansio was by far the best place we stayed in Italy. The room was huge with a great view of the Arno river. It had a pretty large on-suite bathroom with a standing shower. The staff was helpful (even helped up buy soccer tickets) and friendly. Breakfast was included as a "ticket" to purchase food and a beverage around the corner from the hotel. It was my favorite place for breakfast in Italy.

Room Tip: If you are tall ask for Room 7 (large bed)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to San Frediano Mansion? Share your experiences!