“Nice Staff, Clean Room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #397 of 461 Hotels in Florence
London, Ontario
“Nice Staff, Clean Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

this hotel was not super fancy, but it was clean, close to the train station (and more importantly the market) and the staff was super friendly. Nice continental breakfast. It is on a noisy street, but that is part of it's charm....close the windows and you'll be fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Brunswick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We stayed in the Hotel Victoria five nights. The room was clean and not a bad size. The staff was very friendly.

The location is convenient, just a few minutes walk from the train station at Santa Maria Novella (tip: Florence has more than one train station. Make sure you get off at the right one.) The hotel is on Via Nazionale, which can be tricky to find at first because it does not go all the way down to the station square. Go across from the station to Largo Fratelli Alinari. That turns into Via Nazionale. Florence is compact so you can walk most anywhere from the hotel.

The breakfast room is pleasant and very clean, and the breakfast is OK (breads, cheese, cereals, “juice,” excellent coffee, etc.), but it would be nice to have had some ham or other meats.

There is a very good restaurant around the corner on Via Faenza: the Trattoria Nerone. They specialize in excellent thin crust wood fired pizza, but everything we tried there was good. For example, I am very fussy about my squid, and theirs was a rare treat: done perfectly. The staff is great and very helpful in identifying what you might like to order. They treat you very well, and if you are a returning customer they treat you royally.

We encountered two problems with the Hotel Victoria. The first was the bed, which was two twins put together. It was not all that bad, but they should rotate the mattresses every now and then because they slope down from the middle.

The second problem was the noise. The hotel caters to school trips. We had two different groups on our floor during our stay. Both were very considerate and quiet when they realized others were staying on the same floor. However, the floors are tiled and the ceilings are high, so sound is amplified. There is no way thirty high school students can enter or leave en masse without making lots of noise. The timing is predictable, centering mostly on meal times. If you want to sleep late or go to bed early, this timing does not work.

Would we go there again? Yes, if we could be ensured that there would be no school groups on our floor.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

When I checked out on July 1st, they tried to charge me for the
night of June 31 until I pointed out that that date does not
exist (that's right, check your calendars) .

Then they insisted to charge me for the first night of my stay,
though it was prepaid by the booking agency. The insisted that
I pay for it and the booking fee would be refunded. When I got
home, I checked with the booking agency, and they insisted that
the hotel should not have charged me for the first night. Finally,
after threats of involving MasterCard, the hotel agreed to refund
the spurious charge.

The hotel was very noisy. There was noise from trucks driving
to the nearby market, and from construction work.

Location was OK but not great.

• Stayed June 2004, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

We were put up here by a nearby B&B (which did not have rooms for us in the end). Hotel Victoria was 3-star, so we had some hopes.

While the room was clean, it looked a little dingy. The shower didn't drain very well (something that was common in all the rooms in the other cities we visited). There was also street noise past midnight.

A great plus point, however, was that it was very close to the train station & main attractions north of the river. The receiptionist was also helpful with our queries.

There seemed to be other 3-star hotels around which looked better. Suggest to look for those.

• Disliked — It seemed pricey for a 3*star hotel (expected more)
  • Tips/Secrets — Look around the same area for other 3*star hotels.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

This hotel rescued me from a disasterously disappointing experience at another hotel. I walked in and the kind English-speaking woman at the front desk was sympathetic and even though I needed a place for 6 nights, she said they would figure out a way to accommodate me. They said I might have to switch rooms once during my stay (although ultimately I was not asked to do so). My room was large, had excellent heat and air conditioning, had a nicely tiled bathroom, a comfortable bed and--most important--was very clean. The cleaning staff is to be commended because they really cleaned the room and bathroom every day. The staff was friendly and helpful. They allowed me to store my luggage the first day because I arrived before check-in. I did have a shower curtain which didn't operate correctly and a toilet which ran all of the time but when I checked out they reduced my rate for me (and the original rate I was paying was very reasonable). In addition, the breakfast was just wonderful. There was ham, cheese, rolls, 3 types of pastries, yogurt, coffee, tea and cocoa. It was served in an adequate 2-room dining room with each table nicely set. The best part about the breakfast was the woman who brought out the food as well as the tea, coffee, etc. She was such a cheery helpful person I looked forward to seeing her each morning. It should also be said that the reasonable room rate does include the breakfast each day. I would definitely stay here again. It is a great value!

• Liked — friendly staff, clean, great breakfast
  • Disliked — shower curtain didn't work, toilet ran all the time
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

Hotel Victoria is conveniently located near the train station but at night, the area becomes a little scummy. The rooms are a decent size but we had several plumbing problems. The staff was friendly but for some reason, you need to leave your key at the door everytime you leave your hotel room. If you're on a budget, this hotel will do but if you're looking for something more, spend a little extra and get a better room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — State of plumbing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

Hello, We stayed three nights in Victoria on July. We were two families and needed two rooms.

Rooms
Quite big and very clean. Air conditioning was excellent! Best that I have ever experienced in Italy. You will understand how important this is when imaging yourself to +36 degrees...

Personnel
Very friendly and speak english fluently. We arrived earlier than expected but friendly receptionist arranged parking place in garage. Without asking we got two rooms next to eachother and windows to inner yard.

Location
Short walking distance to everywhere. Hotel's environment is not the most beatiful but we did not face any problems.

Have a nice stay in Florence and in Hotel Victoria!

• Liked — air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!