“The people make this place amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Europa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Cavour, 14, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #38 of 461 hotels in Florence
Long Beach, California, United States
“The people make this place amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The service at Hotel Europa is what really stood out to me. The staff here are so friendly and accommodating that I would come back just to see everyone again.
We picked the balcony room which overlooks a small private garden. This turned out to be a mistake because the garden has a pond or something that is ground zero for some of the most aggressive and cunning mosquitos I've ever encountered. I can't fault Hotel Europa for this as the garden is not their property and they can't really do anything about it. I was stupid and failed to mention the problem to anyone, instead opting to kill upwards of 15 mosquitos each day in silence (I was used to Costa Rican accommodations, where mosquitos are everywhere all the time and there's nothing to be done about it). Of course once the staff found out about it they were mortified. They gave us a little plug in repeller to keep the mosquitos at bay and that worked. They were understandably mystified that I didn't say anything sooner and just let them figure it out Sherlock-style. I guess I am the suffer-in-silence type. But in any case this scenario is apparently not normal at all and is unique to that room. They also gave us a discount for our troubles which I thought was classy.
Otherwise everything was great. The room was modest but clean and comfortable. There was light breakfast each morning and fresh coffee, and the morning news in Italian. And again the staff were just so much fun to be around that the beds could be made of nails and I would go back.

Room Tip: Avoid the balcony rooms. They are exposed to a nearby private garden that is apparently a nexus for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

930 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Kelso, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Robert and Miriam run this hotel and are fantastic. Both are very knowledgeable as well as english speaking. The rooms are nice and well kept.You rarely hear another person from the rooms. They are in close proximity to all the best sites. As others have commented, the smell on the first floor and stairwell is not pleasant but once you go into the actual hotel, it disappears. This is minor for what you get. They are a joy and you would not be sorry to stay here! Dennis B.

Room Tip: We switched rooms midway in our stay and highly recommend both the Superior room and superior room w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the Europa in Florence for a week. It was perfect! Miriam and Robert were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Their staff was hardworking and accomodating. The hotel offered every thing I needed, and my room was as charming as the view from its window. Its location near the center of the city made it possible for us to walk everywhere we wanted to go. I would stay there again, and I will recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Europa in early spring with my family. We had four rooms all together. For most of us, it was our first time traveling to another country. But despite being thousands of miles away from home, Miriam and Robert made us feel at home. Every morning Miriam was up working on breakfast for everyone, making espressos, and giving smiles. In the evening, Robert would help us make reservations at the best restaurants in town. They also helped us with things like buying tickets to museums, arranging for transportation, and even laundry.

The hotel was exactly what we wanted! It was central to just about everything in Florence, it was clean and well taken care of, the staff genuinely cared about the guests, and it was very affordable. I absolutely would stay at Hotel Europa again.

Room Tip: Nothing specific, but you might want to request a room that's away from the main doorways that l...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Yorba Linda, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We only spent 2 nights at the Hotel Europa but it was a highlight during our recent trip to Italy. Miriam and her staff were very helpful and warm. It almost seemed like a home away from home. The facilities were clean and neat. The location could not have been better. It's just minutes walk from the cathedral, David and tons of shopping and eating opportunities. Thanks to the Hotel Europa!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed four nights in Venice, all at the Hotel Europa. Miriam & her family and staff made us feel welcome and comfortable. Our rooms included a simple breakfast every morning of juice, cereal, yoghurt, slices meat & cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and croissants. Miriam personally made the caapuccino, which was the best I had my entire three weeks in Italy. Her Italian mam's greeting every morning just added a delightful family touch to our stay. The bathrooms are modern - although no washcloths were provided. The beds are firm but comfortable. The rooms are quite large by Italian standards. Be careful about opening windows - I still have scars from the Florence mosquitoes!! The hotel has an elevator, which was easy to operate for our one cane-using party member.

Room Tip: The higher your room, the narrower the staircase!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights, with two teen daughters. We had the room on the first floor of the hotel (2nd floor of building) right at the very front. Hotel calls it Red Rubin I believe. 2 enormous rooms and bathroom which are directly off of a public lounge area. The Hotel was not terribly full, so we pretty much had the use of this lounge area to ourselves. Not sure if this is the norm. The room for our girls had 3 single beds, table with 4 chairs and some other furniture, which was lost in this huge room. Ours had a large (queen maybe) bed and again tons of room.

Shuttered windows opened on to the street below. We could barely hear the street noise, however the clothing store directly below us did crank up the music while the shop was open. Not a big deal as they open well after we were up and closed before 8 I think. If you are an afternoon napper, this could be an issue.

Rooms and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. Beds were awesome. Breakfast room was large and well stocked. The usual plus hard boiled eggs, cold meats and cheese, cereal and fruit. And possibly THE BEST CAPPUCCINO EVER!!!!

Others mentioned the odour as you go in the front door. Good thing as I was prepared for it. It is just in the lobby, elevator and stair areas. Absolutely none in the hotel areas. Don't let it stop you from choosing this hotel.

Staff/Owners are friendly and available, allowed us to leave luggage a bit after we checked
out. Location is midway between the Cathedral and David. Can walk to everything from there. Maybe a 15 minute easy walk from train station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Europa? Share your experiences!