“A basic, clean, quiet stay” 4 of 5 stars

Via Bonifacio Lupo 14 | Firenze, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #102 of 553 Florence B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“A basic, clean, quiet stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Don't be put off by the entrance... this hotel is located on the first floor of a townhouse so not the easiest to immediately find. But it's clean, well located and the room had air con (a must for Italy in summer). Breakfast was adequate; fairly standard I think (criossants...etc.) and the welcome was warm. Tea, coffee and cake available at all time which was great for those nibbles. Bathroom was a little small and shower wasn't that powerful; tv was small. All in all, a good stay with no frills.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
illyfirenze, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear guests from London,

thank you for your kind words and, of course, for staying with us in our homey residence.
We hope to see you again here in Florence and we send greetings to your city that, by now, is probably already getting back to its natural rythm.

Our warmest regards from all the staff of Johanna I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
Vila do Conde, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I went to Residenza Johanna I after 4 days at Rome and I got a stunning experience of Firenze (Florence) starting from this B&B. Beautifuly decorated, we started by getting an upgrade to our room with no extra charge. The hole hotel is well decorated in a classical style, in a quiet neighborhood at 7 min. short walk to the main atractions (almost all by the river). You take San Gallo street from here and after a short walk you're at the middle of all the action. You can even get free cake by the time you return tired from sightseeing! Definitely our best hotel experience after our trip around Rome-Firenze-Pisa-Tuscany. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest from Vila do Conde, Portugal,

we are truely thankful for your beautiful review and are glad to know that we made part of your authentic florentine experience. And that's no small issue when travelling.
So please return to visit us for discovering more of Florence's buties and tell us about Portugal and until then we send you our warmest regards from a still very hot Firenze

From all the staff of Johanna I
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The b&b is located 10 minutes walk from the center. My boyfriend and i stayed for a week! The room we had was a great size, the breakfast was just right. the staff was helpful with everything we could ask- recommending tours, letting us use their computer, and general assistance. The b&b is clean, and offers a bar with cake, tea and coffee at all times. we enjoyed the stay very much and do hope to go there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
illyfirenze, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear guests from Gerusalemme, Israele,

thank you SO much for your great review! We are so glad that you loved staying with us and appresciated every aspect of our residence. We as well hope you'll be back again soon to visit us and Firenze for another wonderful stay and until then we send you our warmest regards and
prayers for peace

From all the staff of Residenza Johanna I
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent one night here, and were impressed by the warm and welcoming hospitality. It's a little bit off the beaten path, but Florance is so small that this really made little difference. The hosts really pay attention to our individual needs (they let us check in early and also let us keep our bags there late after checkout so we could tour the city). When we were able to get to our room, the housekeeping had turned the AC on, and it was such a pleasant surprise after a long day hitting the pavement in the heat. The gentleman at the front desk recommended a place for dinner which was both affordable and romantic.
Overall, a great experience, especially for the money!

Room Tip: Look for special deals on the website to get a discount.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
illyfirenze, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear guests from Roma, Italia,

we are very glad you so much enjoyed staying with us.
Our guests well being is at our prime interest - we do our best to make your stay comfortable, special and pay attention to all your needs and so we thank you very much for so appreciating our service.

hoping to see you again here, and for a longer period!

Our warmest regards
from all the staff of Johanna I
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I was very happy to find such an affordable and charming place to stay in expensive-and-booked-solid Florence! The hotel is very close the the Accademia museum, and it's a pleasant and quick stroll into the heart of downtown, past some fun markets.
When I booked, I got a confirmation email with some forbidding fine print about check-in hours being limited and closed midday, but when I contacted the hotel by email because I was unsure of my arrival time, they were extremely welcoming and said that reception is open all day, 8-8pm, and there were no problems. At 8pm, they lock up the little office, and guests are free to come and go with their keys. It's like staying at your friend's elegant brownstone, filled with antiques and art! Each night I stayed, there was a little counter with tea, coffee, water, and a homemade cake left out for guests at night.
I was offered a larger room when I checked in, but I had been looking forward to the canopy four-poster in the single room I'd booked. I turned down the upgrade! (The inkeeper said that happens a lot with the canopy room.) I wasn't let down. The room was small, as others have noted, but it was very clean and well cared for and had so many cozy little details. The bathroom wasn't large, but it had one of the most spacious, impeccably clean showers I had during my 3-week trip around Italy. I was very comfy and cozy for my nights in Florence. Accommodations in Florence aren't cheap, and though this place was a little bit more than what I'd budgeted for the rest of my trip, many of the places I was seeing at the same price when I searched seemed bland, impersonal, or even scuzzy. In that context, Residenza Johanna was more like a splurge and a treat than a rip-off, and for Florence, it's very fairly priced.
Breakfast featured more cake and some nice pastry, good coffee, and yogurt and granola, as well as fresh fruit. Reception was very kind and friendly. The wifi could be a bit glitchy at times, but I always had some sort of connectivity, even after-hours.
I'd stay there again!

Room Tip: For one person, the canopy room is a lovely little refuge!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
illyfirenze, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear guest from Chapel hill, North Carolina,

your review is a pleasure to read! So filled with impressions and information and personal feeling!
Thank you so very much for your kind attention and for having being our guest.
We are very happy to learn you felt much at home in our residence for it is exactly the atmosphere we would like to convey.
it is absolutely correct, our reception is indeed open from 8,30am to 8pm and after that a late check-in can be easily organized upon request.
Thank you again for appreciating our care for all details big or small as may be.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you here again to further enjoy the treasures of Florence
Our warmest regards
From all the staff of Johanna I
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed 5 nights in Room number 2 and the large 4 poster bed was awful, the mattress was so hard I was in tears the first night and had to try and aline pillows to get any sort of comfort. When I said something to reception they just agreed the bed was hard!
The photos of Residenza 1 Johanna are taken under lamplight and must be touched up as in reality the place is shabby, although the room was large the toilet and bathroom tiny. They also advertise mini-bar, but this is a tiny plastic thing, with no room, that doesn't keep anything cold and is noisy. Air conditioning ancient and so noisy I had to turn it off and throw the windows open.
Breakfast was included in my tariff but they don't serve it early enough if you are going out on a tour or leaving early for train etc. I only had 1 breakfast because of this and it was all cold nothing hot was available.
The only upside was free WiFi and that you could make a tea/ coffee and a piece of plain cake was available at any time.
The locks to get into the place were ridiculous, 1 for the front gate, 1 for the building, 1 for the Residence entrance and 1 for the room and they all stuck or took you ages to get open and nobody to call on to assist you after 2000. I was afraid to go out in the evening because of the fear of not being able to get in.
They also charged City Tax that was not disclosed at any time until check-out. I was not charged this in any other place I stayed at in Italy.
Do not stay at this Hotel overpriced for a shabby, no service out of town residence. It ruined my experience of Florence.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
illyfirenze, Manager at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear guest from Christchurch, New Zealand,
We were very sorry to read your comment.
We are trying to do our best to satisfy our guests needs and requests yet it is not always easy, since every person has its own need and taste, that not necessarily meet with those of others.
We, nevertheless, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us as it helps to improve.
Johanna I is located in a nineteenth century building - a fact highly considered by us as well as by our guests. Our residence was recently renovated, while few original and precious antique details, like doors, floors and furniture, were dearly preserved as it represent our style and philosophy.
As to the set of keys given upon checking-in, they merely allow each guest to independently come and go as he please enhancing the notion of staying at one’s home.
Room number 2, with its comfy and romantic wooden four-poster bed, is highly appreciated by our guests and, actually, is one of the favorite. The mattress, as in all of our rooms, is a healthy one and new.
The city-tax is not our personal initiative but a tax introduced by Florence City Hall since July 2011, of which our guests can read in the informative paper put in every room as well as in the hall.
At last, our great satisfaction is the daily fare-well of our guests as they go on with their journey, saying goodbye with tears of joy and nostalgia, happy to have stayed with us and promising to recommend our residence to family and friends and, hopefully, to come back again.
We send you our warm regards
Ilanit & Luca
Johanna I’s Managements
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Nice place to stay in Firenze. Not for from the center, rather quiet, comfortable, clean rooms, helpful staff.

Try Trattoria Tito closeby!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
illyfirenze, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Residenza Johanna I, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear guests from Gand, Belgio,

thank you very much for your concise and beautiful review - with few words you just said it all, all that matters.
We wish to welcome you again in our residence and until then we send you our warmest regards from Firenze

All the staff of Johanna I

Been to Residenza Johanna I? Share your experiences!