“A perfect place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Benivieni
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Villa delle Oche, 5, 50122 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #141 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Los Angeles, California
“A perfect place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location just steps from the Duomo, a five minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and it is very fairly priced. This is a family run place and they truly make you feel like you are a part of their family. They went out of their way to make reservations for us suggest reataurants and things we should do.This is the only place I stay when I'm in Florence. I read a couple of bad reviews on here and I just can not believe that is true.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hailsham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

This small, friendly hotel is usefully located between the Duomo and Piazza Vecchio. It is very reasonably priced and close to some good restaurants. A very good base for exploring Florence and well worth a visit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
West Des Moines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We booked a room through Expedia a couple of weeks ahead of our arrival. Upon arrival the desk clerk came out to our cab and told the driver to wait and take us to a different place because they didn't have a room for us. Our room was supposed to have been guaranteed for late arrival and we arrived at 5 pm. We were taken to Hotel Boston which is a tiny, dusty little bed & breakfast like place. Benivieni told us that both places are 3 star hotels and they refused to give us our money back for that night in the dump. They also did the same exact thing to another U.S. couple. Our room at Hotel Boston had no glass in the window, only a wooden shutter. The room was very tiny and the shower was a handheld shower on the wall with a shower curtain that you had to pull all the way around you and then the floor is soaked because it is in the middle of the room. There were people talking outside all night long and metal garage doors that cover business fronts could be heard loudly going up and down at closing and opening of business.
Our room when we came back to the Benivieni was OK, but the bathroom shower door only opened about a foot because it bumped up against the bidet. Breakfast was OK for the most part, but less than other places we stayed in Italy. The eggs that appeared to be hard boiled had yokes that were not cooked all the way--gross!

Room Tip: Don't pay in advance!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

staying at this hotel is excellent a true family run hotel...The rooms are spotless and the breakfast so perfect and good. It will set you for several hours while you browse the numerous museums near by. The location is fabulous...so when you do your shopping you can go back and drop your stuff of. numerous restaurants near by all good. The staff is more than helpful and kind with every request you may have.

Room Tip: all rooms a just fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The hotel is very close to the Duomo and has several good restaurants nearby however, there are other locations that are just as good and some are better (closer to the bridge, or on the north side of the Duomo, for example).
The room was clean and a decent size however, the noisy location was not good. Our room had large windows that backed onto an alley. The garages in the alley had metal doors that slammed open and shut at all hours.
The breakfast is mediocre at best, but at least the person serving the breakfast was polite. Other that that, the service was terrible! I could have put up with everything else, but the front desk staff was downright rude. We were treated rudely when we first checked in (we were a bit early and when we asked to use the washroom on the main floor, the front desk person yelled at me to close the outer door.) We were handed a package that told us to ask for help at the front desk for any reason. I went down and asked to have a reservation made at a local restaurant. The elderly woman refused to do it. She told me that if I wanted a reservation, I could walk there myself and make it. This attitude continued throughout our four day stay.
We traveled through four countries for four weeks on this trip. We also stayed at three other places in Italy. We have never experienced such poor treatment. It ruined our impression of Florence. I strongly suggest that you book elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in room 101 last week and found this hotel to be the perfect location for most sites in Florence. It was about a 15 minute walk from the train station, and through the World Championship cycling races, that was tricky, but once we checked in it was very easy to get around.

Pros:
comfortable bed (rare in Italy!)
location
Sonia sent us to the most wonderful flea market EVER
large closet/shelving area in the room
Cons:
smallest shower in Christendom (maybe 22" square)
average breakfast - only cereal and pastries, no fruit and watery cappucinos
hard for two people to use bathroom - door opened into the single sink - very tight
key cards caused a loud "BUZZ" every time anyone opened their door, but it wasn't what woke us up every morning - that was the incessant bells from the Duomo!

We would stay here again, maybe in a room with a slightly larger bathroom

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel is in a great location--one block from the Duomo, surrounded by numerous restaurants, and right down the street from the famous gelato place, Grom. The staff was a bit taciturn when we checked in, but not mean or anything, just totally professional. Our room was the tiniest room I've ever stayed in! Seriously, two steps inside the room and you bumped into the bed. I went down to the desk to see if they could possibly change our room and I think the man thought I was going to be nasty about it, because he got a little defensive, saying that I had booked that category of room. I'm sure I did, but only because it was either the only room they had left or I didn't know just how small an economy room is!! I told him that I understood that it would be more expensive to move to a larger room and that I was prepared to pay the difference. Then he told me that they had no other rooms. So we just decided to make the best of it.
The bed was comfortable and we slept well. Breakfast was included in our room price and it was the usual croissants and pastries and hard boiled eggs.
We really had a problem with the wifi, because they first told us that we had to sign in to it every day, but then some of our apps wouldn't work. It took about 2 days, but we finally got it straightened out and it worked okay.
The staff were very helpful telling us the best route to use to get to different attractions. We also had to do laundry while we were in Florence and after the older lady gave us directions to the laundry a few blocks away, she seemed to warm up a bit. On our last morning there, while we waited for a taxi (which never came), we all chatted quite a bit and they were very friendly.
While we were there, there was a World Bicycle Race going through Florence, so periodically some of the streets would be closed. The staff was especially helpful the day we were leaving Florence to go to Sorrento. We wanted a taxi to go to the station, but because of the street closures, they couldn't easily get to us, so we had to walk to the train station. The man at the desk helped us to get our luggage through the race area so we just had a straight walk, which really was helpful.
I would stay here again, but I would make sure that I didn't book an economy room!

Room Tip: As stated, don't book an economy room!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Benivieni? Share your experiences!