“I can't wait to return. This hotel is special.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Santa Maria Novella 1, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #27 of 459 Hotels in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Paramus, New Jersey
“I can't wait to return. This hotel is special.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Sometimes hotels are better than expected. Not often. But this hotel is not only better than it looked on paper...it is special. The location is perfect; it is a 3 minute walk from the train station and a 10 minute walk from the Duomo. So we could always find our way! The helpful staff were always cheerful and went out of their way to enrich our stay with suggestions. Their restaurant recommendations were terrific. The room was spotless We had paid for an upgraded room so I expected a nice room. What we got was a wonderful, large room with a large bath and a balcony overlooking the piazza. As we sat on our balcony, watching the people moving about below, I was already planning our return to Florence and the Hotel Santa Maria Novella. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Great value for the money and a special place to stay. I want to single out Maria, one of the managers. She was training an intern on the day we left. I said to the intern: watch this woman. She will teach you what hospitality means.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the piazza.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We are staying here at the SMN hotel I have to say it is immaculately clean very warm and cozy and the staff is extremely helpful and nice. They have a great morning breakfast in a beautiful room. It is in a perfect location. The only negative is the room is a tad small but most of the room in Italy are. We have a room looking outside the SMN Piazza which was perfect. I read that it gets noisy but we had no problem. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 308 & we loved it
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Orange, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was our second stay (9 days in total) at the Santa Maria Novella, and, if anything, it was even better this time. We had a lovely room with a view of the the church of Santa Maria Novella and piazza. From our window we witnessed a lively medieval pageant, complete with music and beautiful costumes.

The included breakfast is one of the highlights of the hotel and includes a very wide variety of choices, both hot and cold. The dining area itself is beautiful, with long crisp white tablecloths, china, and silver service for the coffee and tea. Along with hot dishes they serve a variety of Italian ham products and cheeses, and fresh fruit.

The hotel lobby consists of two cozy "living rooms" with daily newspapers in both Italian and English. There is a fireplace in the back room, which was particularly nice during the December holidays.

Our room was spacious, comfortable, and very clean. I love the gorgeous silk drapes that added a note of luxury without the luxury prices of other Florentine hotels. The TVs are smaller than in American hotels, but have very clear reception. We particularly enjoyed watching Cary Grant in the old black and white movie "Arsenic and Old Lace;" who knew he could speak Italian.

I should also add that the service in this hotel is outstanding. Everyone from the front desk, to the dining room, to the maids. They are pleasant, helpful, and just plain nice.

We chose this hotel for its proximate to the Santa Maria train station. It was just a brief 8 minute walk to take the train to Venice or to Rome. Also many of the day trip busses leave from this location. That said, we could walk to everything in Florence without a problem.

We will definitely stay here again. It is like our "home" in Italy.

Room Tip: We like to look out on the square.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Best and worse thing about this hotel:
Ok the best thing was the staff, so friendly and polite. I went to breakfast late while staff was cleaning, yet Anna at breakfast was so gracious and offered me a table and to get me anything they have cleaned up already! Thank you Anna.
I had paid for an upgrade to a supreme room, so room size was good and bathroom size was good, but didn't have a bath, just a shower. Toiletries doesn't include a conditioner. Room does include a hair dryer, kettle for tea and coffee and complimentary water. Location is good on the Santa Maria Piazza and close to shopping district, tourist areas and museums.
Now the bad part about this hotel, the air conditioning system was switched off, they don't switch it on in this season I was informed by hotel staff, (they advertise they have a/c and heater). Room was getting warm, I was told to open my window where I got my second shock. I had paid for an upgrade after reading that single rooms don't have view of the Piazza, well this supreme room didn't either. This room had the view of other people laundry and pipes, pictures attached, it was a miserable view. Also because I had to leave window open I got some flying bugs come in.
The shower was not consistent with it changing between cold and hot.
I had requested to change rooms upon check in to a room with a view but told hotel was fully booked.
I was also able to hear my neighbors using the bathroom, taking a shower, turning tap on, it was pretty loud.

There are negatives to this hotel, but breakfast was amazingly good! Staff were great and room size (supreme room) was good, room is clean. The hotel has a nice small library room to relax in. Has free wifi. Overall design is of a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms on lower levels will has consistent shower water. Piazza rooms might be noisier especia...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Following some bad experiences at the Hotel we booked, we changed immediately. At short notice Hotel Santa Maria Novella was able to give us a room for th 5 days required. It was an upgraded room looking over the square. The staff were very helpful at that time. Oval the staff were pleasant and helpful.
Location is a perfect, close to the train and the main part of Florence.
Would recommend to anyone looking for something other than a budget Hotel.
Worth the extra amount.

Room Tip: Stay there
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brevard, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As noted by other reviewers, the location is excellent, particularly for train arrivals/departures. Décor very high end, efficient and helpful staff. Roomy breakfast room with the usual selections including eggs, bacon, and 'sausage' (chopped hot dogs). Bar cozy, good selection of beverages. Paid extra for the 'view' — a room overlooking the piazza. That was great, except at 3 AM when the group of noisy teens passed through on their way to wherever. Bathroom clean & modern, everything worked. Elevator a bit tiny and slow, but that's minor.

Room Tip: For a quiet night, don't select the 'view.' But it's really cool to look out the wi...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a long weekend in Florence and wanted to stay somewhere central and this hotel was ideal. The room we had was "upgraded" on arrival which we were initially pleased about but it was right at the old end of the hotel and wasn't ideal - the room needed some renovation, the bathroom downstairs was OK but the shower was rubbish, but the staff were apologetic and eventually sorted it out. What we would say that the breakfast was amazing - fizz every morning went down well!!! Florence itself is a walking City so, ladies, remember to take a few flats!!

Room Tip: Try and avoid the old part of the hotel - rabbit warren to get there!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family

Been to Santa Maria Novella Hotel? Share your experiences!