“Stayed in 2 rooms, and neither were that great” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Panama
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via XX Settembre, 80, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #173 of 460 Hotels in Florence
sparkle_gurrl
“Stayed in 2 rooms, and neither were that great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

So in 3 nights, we stayed in 2 different rooms. The reason for that is because the first room they put us in was on the main floor, and housekeeping kept leaving the windows wide open (shutters, and the window pane!). It made us paranoid about having our room broken into, so we asked to switch to another room on out last night. That room has in the building behind the main hotel, and it didn't have en elevator, so we carried our luggage up the stairs, which was brutal. Then we got in the room, and it smelled like rotting fruit. It was quite disgusting, but we put up with it, since we didn't want to switch a third time. Also, since we were further away from the wireliess router, the wifi service was horrible in the new room.

The food was decent, no complaints there. The rooms were fairly clean, though the head marks on the headboards is pretty gross.

The location was ok. It was a bit of a walk to the city centre, but the price made up for it, so I didn't mind the 15 minute walk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 7 nights. It was a very pleasant stay. Our room was in the back yard of the hotel so it was really quiet. The bed was big and comfortable.
The hotel has its own parking which is a great advantage in Florence because you will hardly find a free parking lot there. They also offer free bicycles. The distances between the main
sights and the hotel are not big but the bicycles come very handy if you want to see many things and go to many places.
Breakfast was perfect. Not too much things to choose from, but everything was really delicious. Excellent coffee. There were some mosquitoes in the yard because the hotel is next to the river, so be sure to bring a repellent.
The staff was very friendly. They were asking how we are and if everything is OK. They were always smiling and trying to help however they can. When we asked they gave us nice wine glasses.
Also there is free internet in the rooms but it wasn't very fast in ours. One disadvantage was that the shower cabin was a little bit tight and I was hitting my elbows in it.
Overall we are very happy with our stay. We will go there again and I recommend it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel and found the staff really friendly and very help full when you arrive they will show you where the hotel is in relation to other places on a map. No it has no bar but you only have to ask for a bottle of wine and they will provide one as I often sat out side by the patio area with a glass or two. The rooms where nice and large, very clean. Breakfast provided is lovely with plenty of choice. I can not understand the last rude comment as the rooms could not be any cleaner. And yes you are going to be bitten by mosquitoes but lets face it this happens in
England to i have never been abroad and not been bitten. Plenty of nice places to eat out with lots of bats flying around lovely.

Room Tip: The room i had was of the main road very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

we were just in this hotel for one night and that was enough to put us off totally. we were going to be eaten alive as the bed had so many bugs that we discovered at night. there was a mosquitoe repelant in the room that we noticed and joked that in Europe, there isnt a need for this but realised other wise the minute we opend the door to the patio - which by the way is only a little extra room at the end of the room as you cant really see beyond the high walls. we also noticed a stink in the room the minute we entered and assumed that this might be due to the lack of ventilation, another reason why we had to open the door to the patio (i will call it the adjoining room as this is a better description for this room with a slight gap in the ceiling that allows looking at the sky and really high walls. definately not a 'patio') the air con didnt work. the night shift manager came in to check this and said he would call his boss, he callled once he finished speaking to the boss who we then spoke to the next morning, accusing us of being rude and disturbing him late at night. i was so surprised by his non apologetic manner! he insisted that the managers report was accurate and not or complains. he also leaned forward towards my wife and i in a threatning manner raiseing his voice and banging his fist on the wooden table. i was actually very shocked to see someone bully us on our holiday. he mentioned that we are making these complaints up as in his experience (which by the way he said was more than my age, and he has been traveling and working even before i was born - his exact words) people make stories up when they find one wrong thing in the room and say that everything was wrong. he also said that the air con doesnt work as it is very expensive to centrally get this working - why call it an air conditioned room then?

Room Tip: avoid this hotel like the plague. there are plenty of other hotels and it is absolutely worth it spe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Régis R, Proprietario at Hotel Panama, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Sir,

We won't reply to your second review as we consider that we have already answered to your complain titled "run as far away as possible from the stinking hotel".

What has happened does clearly shows that provocatively you want do damage our hotel without having to give any constructive criticism to our work which we love and put out efforts day by day getting back fortunately joy and satisfaction.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have just checked out of this place that claims to be a hotel. Our room was a torture chamber with stink like that of a dead animal and no windows at all. There was a door to a patio but the patio had really high walls so we could only look up at the sky. The ac didn't work, shower threw out brown water for a couple of seconds before clen water came out. Bed bugs galore, didn't get a single second of sleep. I think room 404 is the worst, I heard all other guests in the breakfast table discussing similar complains but my room (404) won the sickest room contest. I went to speak to the manager, an elderly man who banged the wooden table in denial and accused me of being a liar. When I told him that at mid night, when I couldn't take the torture anymore, I had called the night shift manager to complain and request for atleast a air freshner if not a room change, the guy complained about me to his boss - saying that I disturbed his sleep at night by calling him and making such demands. The breakfast was stale with no fresh juice. Since I was successful in showing a bed bug bite and telling the manager that I am not lying, he compensated me by not charging me for for parking, which is 18 euros, I paid 168 for no sleep, I suggest anyone considering this hotel should instead find out a homeless peoples camp to spend the night.

• Stayed September 2012
Régis R, Proprietario at Hotel Panama, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
“Run as far away as possible from this customer”

Dear Sir, Madam

I do answer with pleasure to your complaint as some of the things that you have written are not correct.
At the moment of the check-in you have been given room 404 which suited you fine. Only when you came back at around midnight you found all sorts of problems such as bed smell (NOT CORRECT) reported by night porter, air conditioning not running (CORRECT, IT WAS CLOSED AS END OF HOT SEASON), mosquitoes (POSSIBLE, WE DO HAVE ANTI-MOSQUITOES ELECTRIC APPLIANCE IN EVERY ROOM). Finally one big lie: bed bugs. In that case you refused – at check-out time - to go up in the room to show me the bed bugs. You arrogantly asked to be reimbursed after you spent a night in any case we have granted free parking and this strong complaint was only aiming to obtain the reimbursement of a pre-paid room. Unfair.

Best regards
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Not sure if it's considered more B&B, but we adored this hotel. The location was away from the big city sites, which was nice and quiet, and we are only in our 30's. BUT 3 blocks over and your in the action. Street markets, restaurants, shopping and attractions. The hotel offers bikes. This was HUGE. My husband and I saw so much more of Florence with those bikes. Not the best bikes, but fit the bill. We loved it!
Hotel: Very Clean!! Extremely nice staff and helpful!! Ask for restaurant recommendations. We had a backyard/Courtyard view, which was nice cause it wasn't facing the street. Descent sized rooms. It's cozy. All bathrooms are small in Europe we noticed but this was clean and laid out well.
Cons would be: The sheets. They weren't the softest. Could went for an evening cocktail hour, no bar there. Elevator is small.
Loved our stay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

The father and son owners and their staff were very friendly and offered helpful advice. An easy 15 minute stroll to the centre of town, 5 minutes to Tito's excellent Tuscan food restaurant(best to book as always busy),5 minutes to supermarket,free push bikes, clean and roomy. We highly recommend this hotel. My only disappointment is that I did not leave a tip. Hopefully this review makes up for that?

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Panama? Share your experiences!