“Standard 3-Star Hotel near Train Station” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #203 of 460 Hotels in Florence
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Standard 3-Star Hotel near Train Station”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The first time I was in Florence in April/May 2006, my friends and I stayed in Hotel Delle Nazioni. This is a 3-star hotel located on Via L. Alamanni, the left side of the Santa Maria Novella railway station.

The hotel claimed to be close to all of the city's major sights and attractions but this is not really true. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to walk to the Duomo and other attractions. However, the hotel has reasonablely-priced large rooms; we paid only Euro 90 for a double room. This price was not bad because we got a spacious, modern and clean room.

The thing that irritated us was that the hotel was quite a long walk from the city centre and the good pizzeria and restaurants. When we got tired/exhausted from a whole day of sight-seeing, it was quite an effort to walk back to the hotel. In fact, we practically had to drag and hobble ourselves back. We wished we got a closer hotel !!

The hotel has a casual modern friendly atmosphere and it claimed to have elegant interiors. On-site facilities include a bar, breakfast room, free Internet point, Wi-Fi Internet connection in the lobby and bar. The hotel also has a private garage for its guests. The double bedroom and bathroom were clean, modern, and large/spacious. The double bed was also large, with clean sheets. There was also built-in closet, table and chair, and italian satellite TV.

However, the breakfast was standard; it was a cheapy breakfast of dry breadrolls, thin slices of cheeses and hams, dry cornflakes and cereals, diluted milk and orange juice, and instant coffee from machines (which was really awful). There were also packets of brioches, petite toasts and dry biscuits. We didn't enjoy the breakfast; we're better off going to the local cafes for fresh hot cappucinos/cafe latte and brioches/pastries.

Overall, our stay at this hotel was OK, for the price we paid for a hotel in Florence. But for the next visit, I would rather chose to stay closer to the city centre!

Directions: Via L. Alamanni was the main street just next to the left of the central train station.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

When we checked in we were told that we had got an "upgrade" to an apartment on the first floor. We gratefully accepted. Massive mistake. The room looked nothing like the website, although extremely clean. There were shutters on the windows that let in the slightest light in and couldn't be adjusted. The "sound proof windows" as stated on the website is an utter joke as I had to sleep with earplugs I brought from home for the entire three night stay. The mattress was comfortable, but the pillows were bits of foam. No joke, foam. Uncomfortable and weird. No coffee or tea facilities in the bedroom, 10channels on the tv all in Italian and the breakfast average. You have to leave your key at reception every time u leave your room which is highly inconvenient when returning and the staff are a tad arrogant, and don't really go out of their way to explain the city. Overall I will never stay there again and glad to be in a comfy room here in Rome tonight.

• Stayed March 2013
Henderson, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I just got back from Italy and only stayed one night in this hotel and we wished we would have booked it much longer. The staff was friendly, the room was spotless and the breakfast was fabulous! We could see the Duomo from our balcony. I can't believe how affordable the rooms are. It certainly is not a luxury hotel but if you are looking for a clean, affordable and convenient place to stay...then look no farther! Hopefully we will get to go back to Florence and when we do, we will definitely stay here again. :-)

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the Duomo!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
hdellenazioni, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Delle Nazioni Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Mandy,

we really thank you for your review and we are happy to see that you completely understood the efforts and the atmosphere of our Hotel.

We work really hard to transfer to our guests the feelings we have and the satisfaction of the hotel and of all staff so that all of them can feel part of us and we really appreciate when someone like you can feel all this.

Hope to have you here again and make your experience be even better than the last time.
Enjoy your life
Elisabetta Argento
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just returned from weekend in Florence, and stayed again in Hotel Delle Nazioni . We arrived on Saturday afternoon at Santa Maria novella train station . The rain was really really heavy and the wind blustery , we came out and were in our hotel in about 6minutes , how good is that . I have been to other cities and walked around in circles trying to find hotels which state they are a few minutes from train station!!!. Hotel Delle Nazioni is also very close to the Sita bus station, there are loads of really good resturants nearby, . The staff are friendly and helpful and the entire hotel is very clean . They could improve on the breakfast , fruit could be added , . Great hotel and will definitely return again .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Delle Nazioni Hotel is located about 200 meters from the Santa Maria Novella train station. It's an ideal hotel if you're arriving to Florence by train. A short walk from the hotel to most major attractions make this an ideal Tourist hotel. The staff were Friendly and courteous. Our room was larger then most and had a balcony overlooking the city. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Yerevan, Armenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Delle Nazioni was more of a modern hotel, which was surprising, but nice. The room was small but enough for a couple, the bathroom was tiny and uncomfortable.
Breakfast was average, but there was free cappuccino.
Location was great, just in front of the station and close to the main sites.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Matlock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

In November 2012 I stayed for a week at the Delle Nazioni in Florence.

When planning my trip I used the reviews on this and other such websites to guage the quality of what was supposed to be a mid-range hotel. The reviews seemed reasonable and the price for a week was good for a room with a double bed and bed and breakfast.

After arriving by taxi outside the hotel, my first impression was not great, the building did not look great from the outside and the area seemed a little rougher that I was expecting but inside the hotel, it was actually quite nice.

I arrived in the evening and was checked in quickly and efficiently by the guy on the desk. There was an additional charge of 3 euros per day, that I had to pay on arrival and that was a tax imposed by the city which I was already aware of as it was mentioned on the Thomas Cook website when I made the booking.

I had a room on the third floor and at first glance it looked clean and tidy with reasonably stylish decor. The bed was a good size are quite comfortable. The bathroom was clean but as I am quite a large chap, I felt the shower was a little on the small size and had trouble picking up the soap when I dropped it,

While everything seemed fine at first, an issue became apparent after a few hours in my room. The room became very warm, even with the window open and though there was an air conditioning system, it was not possible to control it from within the room, instead it was controlled by the hotel and was essentially one system for each floor. The air con did eventually come on but not until part way through the night and when it came on, it actuallty woke me up. I managed to get back to sleep but when I woke up in the morning, I had an awful cough. I have asthma and an allergy to certain types of dust and it felt like the air conditioning was just blowing out hot dust. I got out of the room and after a couple of hours I felt more or less fine again.

I am not one to complain much so I didn't bother saying anything about it and the second night it was not as bad. By the third night,and for the rest of the week, it didn't really bother me, so it was probably just dust had built up in the air vent in the room and after the first night, it had mostly been blown out and had settled in the room and its only when I breathe in dust that it actually bothers me.

For the rest of the week, there were no real issues with the room or hotel though one oddity was that some guests were asked to hand in their room key each time they left the building while I was not asked. For the whole week I was wondering if I was supposed to hand it in and they had just forgotten to tell me or if it was only certain rooms.

A good point to the hotel was that there was a vending machine on some of the floors which was handy. They also had a good selection of tour leaflets at the reception and you could book them through the hotel.

When I booked my stay at the hotel, I booked bed and breakfast, I did however decide not to eat at the hotel. I did take a look at the selection on offer and it seemed like a standard continental style breakfast buffet but I decided to find something a bit more interesting and to my own taste. Because of this I cannot comment on the quality of the food provided by the hotel.

One benefit to staying at this hotel is if you plan to travel around Tuscany or to other parts of Italy as it is over the road from the train and bus stations.

For those just staying in Florence, it is not far from the city centre. By my calculations, it takes about 2-4 minutes to Santa Maria Novella church and about 7-10 minutes by foot to get to the Duomo and the city centre. This largely depends on your route but cutting through the underground shopping mall in front of the train station can both speed up or slow down your journey depending on if you go in any of the shops.

In most aspects, the hotel was good and value for money. I gave it 3/5 but I would have given it 4/5 were it not for the air conditioning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Delle Nazioni Hotel? Share your experiences!