“Wonderful small hotel in perfect location” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via dei Tornabuoni 1, 50122 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 461 hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cornwall, England
“Wonderful small hotel in perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We flew into Pisa airport and beforehand I was a bit worried about how we were going to get from Pisa airport to Florence without speaking any Italian. I searched several websites but in the end just decided to get on with it. It was actually very easy. At Pisa airport, on leaving departures turn to the right and you can buy train tickets at an information desk. They charge an additional euro admin fee but it was worth it. The station is at the other end of the airport and we were lucky to be able to get the direct one into Florence. At the station we took a taxi which cost just over 9 euros but as it was raining we decided it was well worth it. The hotel is at the end of Via Tornabuoni and there are roadworks going on outside but that didn't bother us at all. We had a delightful room, the views weren't exactly amazing but the bed was really comfortable, the room warm and the bathroom very luxurious with lovely white fluffy towels. There is a lift which takes you up to the bedrooms but it is small and extremely slow! However, the overwelming feature of this hotel is the roof terrace - the views over Florence are absolutely breathtaking. As we visited in December, it wasn't really the weather to be sitting outside but we were able to go out and take some photos. Breakfast was also served on the terrace - inside but you still got the amazing views. There was plenty to choose from with fresh fruit through to bacon and scrambled eggs and all was served beautifully. In the evenings, after going out to dinner, we went back up to the terrace and had a nightcap. Again, it was all about the views, the main attractions were lit up and one night we witnessed a thunder and lightning storm. The hotel is set in an ideal location, being at the end of all the high end designer shops such as Tiffanys, Prada and Salvatore Ferragamo. All the main sites were well within easy walking distance. We did go on the open top bus which we caught just across the road from the SMN train station and a one day ticket cost 16 euros each and we found this to be an excellent way of seeing both inside and just outside of Florence. We had a wonderful stay at the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, the staff were extremely polite and helpful and I would definitely recommend it to anyone visitng Florence.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Goughie,
thank you for sharing your experience with all the Tripadvisor's readers. It's very useful your description about how easy it's to come from Pisa to Florence by train and I can assure that from Santa Maria Novella, Florence train station to the ANtica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1 it's a nice and short walk (if it's not raining and if you have not many luggage)!
I wish you could come back in springtime or summer in order to let you enjoy better our terraces.
Looking forward to welcoming you soon,
Yours Faithfully.

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Albi, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel has three outstanding features: Great location--right on the elegant shopping street, Tornabuoni just steps from the scenic Arno. Most of the main attractions of Florence are in walking distance.

The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful--most speaking English (indeed very few are even Italian!).

The rooftop terrace gives a stunning view of Florence.

An excellent buffet breakfast is served in the rooftop dining room. The view stretches over the red-tiled roofs of Florence towards the Duomo--the main cathedral. The hotel operates a trust system at the rooftop bar (when it is unmanned) so you can have a drink or complimentary tea or coffee anytime. From another part of the rooftop there is a panoramic view of the Arno.

This is one of Florence's top hotels and the prices in high season reflect that--but out of season, it's more affordable.

As the name suggests, the hotel is an old tower, extensively restored (but still with the slowest elevator in the world!).

Our rooms have always been attractive though somewhat on the small side. However the hotel brochure shows some elegant, spacious bedrooms with four-poster beds. Some even have private balconies.

The windows are double-glazed so city sound doesn't interfere. Wifi works pretty well, including on the roof terrace--and there is no extra charge (unlike at some Florence hotels).
Parking is off site and extra.

They had a bellhop for the bags. The beds are turned down at night with slippers left by your bedside.

The front desk will book restaurants for you.

The first time we arrived we had a hard time FINDING the front desk. You enter through an impressive doorway to an empty hall. Go to the end, turn right and the Front Desk is there on your left.

Try to get breakfast included in the price of your room. Otherwise it's rather expensive.

Room Tip: The upper floors have the best views and you can walk one flight up to the spectacular terrace bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear DiscerningSoul,
I personally want to thank you for the full explanation of our location, room description and services. I'm very proud to read your comment and I wish it will help many travellers in their final decision.
I'm happy to admit that we have a worldwide staff, from South Italy to North Italy and from Australia to Morocco, but everybody has the same passion for hospitality and this is the real chain for everybody here!
I really look forward to welcome you in a next future, so, feel free to contact me anytime.
Sincerely.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, great staff, great rooms and amazing view from rooftop bar. I would thoroughly recommend it. The location is excellent and all main sites are within easy reach. Staff were very helpful in booking tickets for museums and recommending best sites to visit.

Make sure you visit Piazzale Michelangelo for an amazing view of Florence.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear MrAllardice,
thank you for the kind comment you left about the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1.
I completely agree with you about the opportunity to visit Piazzale Michelangelo, where you could enjoy the second best view of Florence (after our terraces!).
Please, feel free to call me anytime if you are planning to come back in Florence.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in The Library and 3 nights in the Romantic Suite in August. Both rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated, had marble bathrooms and were clean. The Romantic Suite was larger and had a spa bath and views of the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio. It was lovely to come back to these cool rooms after sightseeing in 38 degree temperatures (avoid going to Florence in August if you can, it is too hot and crowded with tourists).

The rooftop terraces provide great views of Florence and the breakfast has a good variety to choose from. The staff in the breakfast room are very friendly and helpful.

The front desk staff gave great recommendations for restaurants, they also provide a tour of the hotel when you arrive. They even returned my very expensive Chanel sunglasses to me when I left them on a seat in the foyer! Professional and honest!

We purchased a Firenze Card which gave us entry to all museums, art galleries and local buses for €50 each. It was good value but the best thing is you don't have to line up with everyone else and can go to the head of the line or a special entrance for Firenze Card holders. Who wants to spend their holiday lining up in the hot sun?

The Antica Torre is well located for all the sights and great shopping along via Tornabuoni.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The Romantic suite was my favourite. It was spacious and had great views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TreasureParis,
thank you for the wonderful words you had about the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1!
Your rooms, the Romantic and the Library, were both unique, so, we only have one room for both categories and especially the Romantic has a wonderful double jacuzzi overlooking Via Tornabuoni that it worth to come back home after the sightseeing!
All the staff is proud to read about their honesty and honor regarding your Chanel glasses!
Please, feel free to contact me directly if you are planning to come back in Florence, in order to offer you our best luxury service.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Customer service is amazing.they helped us in changing train schedule to attend a cooking class.The hotel tour was great.
Terrace has a perfect view of florence.breakfast was heavenly there and the sunset is a daily must do ritual.rooms are comfortable.location is ideal just overlooking ponte vecchio.best stay dont miss this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Cresthill52,
thank you for the kind comment you made in Tripadvisor!
I'll share your words with the staff and I'll personally congratulate them for the Concierge Service: they are excellent in suggesting experiences in Florence and they are special for restaurants!
I look forward to welcome you back in Florence and please, feel free to contact me directly in case of reservation, in order to assur ethe best possible service.
Best Regards,

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights during 2nd leg of my trip to Italy in November. It was an absolute delight to travel to Firenze at this time of the year if you hate huge crowds. Easy admission to Uffizi and Galleria dell’ Accademia without hussle if you booked online in advance was a major plus. Just a 5-7 minute taxi ride from Train Station to hotel at the cost of 9 Euro, I already found myself checking in. Check in was a breeze and the staff at the reception had given me an informative tour by showing me to my room and rooftop terraces. Check out was again swift. Hotel was so centrally located and Ponte Saint Trinita was practically at your doorstep. You can virtually walk to most tourist attractions, in particular, I liked to stroll along River Arno every day and night to enjoy such fabulous views……………simply the best location in town.

View from my room facing River Arno and Ponte Saint Trinita was spectacular. I must say, it was just breath-taking! My room was not particularly spacious (much bigger than my hotel at Milan) but well-appointed and had a sense of calmness and tranquility decorated in pastel green. I strongly recommend you to reserve a room which overlooks River Arno and Ponte Vecchio. Check that out from the hotel's official website and you will find out that they offer various category of rooms at different rates. There are other bigger rooms with fabulous decoration to suit your exquisite taste. Opt for at least a Grand Deluxe room or a higher category room facing River Arno, it’s very well worth every penny you spend.

In particular, their staffs at the reception (sorry if I mis-spelt their names, Denise and Melissa) and the breakfast room were exceptionally friendly, courteous and informative. They always greeted you with a smile. My room was spotlessly clean, my bed was unbelievably comfortable and I enjoyed every minute while I was staying there. As other viewers had also pointed out, the rooftop breakfast room/terrace was a killer. There were 2 separate rooftop terraces which offered magnificent views of River Arno and Duomo respectively. Breakfast spread was adequate to kickstart my day. Especially I need to thank one of its staffs (forget his name) at the breakfast room for making my favourite cheese and ham omelette especially for me on one day. I skipped the coffee every morning but enjoyed their great selection of herbal teas. It was nice to have a cup of complimentary afternoon tea on the rooftop breakfast room before heading off for dinner. During my stay, though there was an extensive construction work going on with scaffolding erected on the Piazza Saint Trinita, I hardly heard any noise while I was in my room.

If you are a traveller who dies for 24 x 7 room service, a grand lobby, an elegant restaurant with luxury chandeliers, Philippe Starck chairs or a few concierges who will greet you enthusiastically every time you enter the grand lobby, this is not the place for you. To be exact, this is a historical residence on the beautiful De Via Tornabuoni instead of a chain hotel. It made you feel like staying in your own home but yet with a history. You were given 2 keys when you checked in. One to your own room and the other, an electronic key to the main door (in case you wanted to enter the building after 10pm). I felt safe staying there and the other hotel guests were absolutely friendly to chat with.

Frankly, their reception desk really did look a bit odd to me, but didn't bother me at all as I would rather spend time sitting up in the rooftop terrace than hanging out in their lobby. Their reception opens every day from 7am to 10pm and as I was told there will be a night-watchman from 10pm till the reception re-opens every morning. For me, this didn't bother me much as I was sound asleep by 11pm every night.

Things to be improved on:

(1) Especially when the winter is approaching, it will be nice to have an electric kettle in each room without special request; and

(2) Wifi was not working one day, but their staff was quick to resolve the problem and got it fixed before I returned to my room in the afternoon. Service there was exceptional good.

Overall, a pleasant and wonderful stay! Without hesitation, I will certainly come back again.

P.S. I felt much safer exploring Firenze than other Italian cities. Firenze was definitely the highlights of my entire Italian trip.

Room Tip: Opt for a River Arno view room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Traveller from Hong Kong,
it's such a pleasure to read your comment, especially because you mentioned many different point and many interesting arguments. I would love to express all my gratitude for all your words and I'll be happy to share your comment with all the staff!
I just would like to let you know, that, till 3 years ago, we had electric kettle in every room but we decided to remove it, because we would love to allowed our guests to have tea and coffee in our Panoramic terrace 24 hours a day for 7 days a week, as a relaxing moment to enjoy with Florence on your feet!
Please, feel free to contact me anytime and I'll be happy to welcome you personally if you are coming back Florence.

Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We enjoyed staying here! The location is great and the views from the rooftop decks were spectacular. The staff was very nice and the breakfast was terrific. The room was a little on the small side and they had some problems turning off the heat (it was warm that night), but they did their very best to accommodate us.

Dear Areil,
thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor.
I personally apologise for the heat system one night of your stay but thanks for appreciating our work in adjusting the heating.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you are coming back Florence.

Maria Rita Bellini

Been to Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni? Share your experiences!