“Extremely clean but expected more” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Centro
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ginori 17, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #298 of 461 hotels in Florence
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Extremely clean but expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were two women and booked Hotel Centro for 2 nights/3 days. We had mistakenly booked a room with a detached bathroom, and were quite weary of the same. Fortunately, the shared extremely bathroom was clean and right opposite our room, so it worked for us.

The room was quite small, just enough for two people. It was clean and overlooked the street (gave me good photography opportunities). Breakfast does not come inclusive, which was quite disapponting. The second floor corridor has some good books (in French). The staff is extremely hospitable and helpful.

What works for the hotel is the location. It is very close to Accademia and Duomo, a maximum of 10 minutes and 7 minutes, respectively. It is approximately 10 minutes from the station. All on foot. Some of the nice cafes are in and around the hotel.

The lobby is small, so is the breakfast space. While walking inwards the hotel, you will be introduced to some of the smallest elevators you may ever be in. Also, the elevator to the second floor is particularly small and differently shaped. The use of space may surprise you!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an air-conditioned room for Summers.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked in this hotel. Chose for an AIR CONDITIONED ROOM. However the hotel owner told us that there was some problem and that all their air conditioned room was fully booked. We were then given a room without air con, ( bear in mind it is SUMMER, thus the room was very hot, and also very noisy). We asked them to move us for our 2nd night stay, however they said that it is most unlikely that we are to be moved, as they were fully booked.

We tried for one night, but the heat was unbearable, and the room was really noisy. We had to change our hotel after that, and asking for a refund.
Please even for a budget hotel, this was pretty low.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The location is the only real plus to this hotel. Its location is about as good as it gets in Florence. Walking distance to everything. Supermarket, fresh food market, train all close by plus all the sites not far. The manager and cleaner are really creepy and it is weird not being able to come and go without collecting your key. Our room looked nothing like these upmarket pictures and the whole place just felt cramped.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsingborg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I will start to mention first +
- central location, 5 minutes by foot from railway station and 5 minutes from Cathedral Doumo
- nice supermarket just door to door
- clean room and also clean outdoor bathroom
On the other hand there are also some -
- you are not welcome to come back to hotel after 1:00, even on Saturday...
- you have to all the time ring the door to whole boulding to get in because it is a need to leave all the time the key in reception- a little problem for people who appreciate private climate.
- loud at night from the streets

In conclusion perfect location for people who don't go sleep late and are looking for budget hotel in Florence.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor about the hotel. How is was a great value for the money and how centrally located it was. So, I booked it for my trip last month (June 2012). Both fellows working the desk were courteous and helpful. The room was a nice size. HOWEVER, to my utter disappointment, the 'individually controlled air-conditioning' was controlled by one individual, but it wasn't the room occupant..it was the hotel manager. So, the fact that I was uncomfortably warm and couldn't get relief from the air conditioning because "...our owner doesn't think it is yet hot enough to turn on the air conditioning" was not what I wanted to hear.

Also, the first night, I was just inconvenienced by the heat. The second night, I was attacked by mosquitos because I had to have the window open due to no air circulation.

When I made a comment to the front desk,all I received was a shrug of the shoulders.

Not really the kind of customer service I was expecting from such a well-regarded hotel on here. :-(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed here during my brothers wedding last week. My family were staying up the road (won't mention names) for a LOT more money! It was ideally located for us as the wedding party were 300meters away.....it's a bit away from the centre, but Florence is a very condensed city and everywhere is within easy walking distance!
There were two men on reception over the week, both of them were really lovely- booking tours or letting us in in the middle if the night after the wedding!
Nobody minded my sister and her husband visiting either! Cleaners did a great job and very respectful.
The lift is very small and breakfast is far from an Irish fry but thats pretty normal for a European country!!!!!! The rooms are pretty spacious and we had the cutest little balcony (which the expensive hotel didn't - hence the visits from my family!). Be wary of Mosquitos I got destroyed - buy deet!
All in all would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Get a balcony, small but big enough for two seats and lovely for an hour in the evening!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Centro for 3 nights and must say I was very impressed. The hotel is right in the middle of everything which made my stay in Firenze great. I came in via train from Rome, the train station is very close to the station and easy to find. I was able to walk everywhere. The clerks were very helpful and even booked a couple of tours for me which was great. Because you are in the center of everything it does get pretty loud at night but it didnt bother me at all. I had a big bed in my room which was comfortable and a private bath, free wifi which helped cut my costs on phone calls using the free wifi calling feature on my phone. The breakfast was good and hotel was clean and nice. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Thank you for making my stay in Firenze amazing!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Centro? Share your experiences!