“Not for a group tour” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #213 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Not for a group tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The location is reasonably good, as you could walk to some of the historical landmarks in the middle of town.

However you may wish to avoid this hotel if you are travelling in a group tour. The hotel's drop off point is just short of bizarre! This small hotel is located on a relatively busy street. If the lay-by in front of the hotel is taken by parked cars, then your tour coach practically has no space to park. Imagine your tour coach having to stop in he middle of the narrow street, and the cars behind the coach started honking the coach for blocking the street, 'even before' the driver, with our help, started to unload the luggage of about 25 foreign tourists! While we rushed the bags onto the streets in front of the hotel, they were then blocking the pedestrian flows. No hotel porters were around to help with the hotel guests luggage. I am inclined to think that they do not have one either.

There was some risk that some of the bags being snatched away while they were on the busy street, as it is reportedly an unsafe area as related to us by our Italian guide.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

In this hotel, my spouse and I were given a room with no lights and no WiFi although free WiFi was promised when I booked it. Second, this room had the previous occupant's used soap and shampoo lying the shower stall so it had not been cleaned for my arrival.

Third, I had to re-pack everything I had unpacked because of the no-lights situation. So I had to move to another room, which also did not have any WiFi at all. Fourth, the shower and sink water wax and wane, i.e. the pressure is random and not constant. Sometimes, the water completely stops.

After 1 day, there was no toilet paper in the toilet and it was not replenished when the room was cleaned. We stayed for 3 nights. The safe in the room was left closed by the previous occupant and the night desk staff (Nicola) had no clue about it. He just told me to wait until the morning and contact the morning staff.

Re: WiFi, I was told by Elena that the hotel advertises WiFi but not in rooms. I was told to use WiFi at the bar, which was smoky and noisy. There were no sockets for me to plug my laptop into and I was told to leave the bar at midnight and go to the lobby for WiFi.

But the lobby also had no sockets for me to plug in my laptop and there was very weak and intermittent WiFi signal. The front desk staff at night (Michel) kept saying to me to contact the manager, Andrea, for all these issues. When I tried to speak to him the next day, I was told by Elena, front desk staff in the morning, that Andrea was too busy to talk to me.

When I explained about all these problems to Elena, she argued with me and said that the hotel promised WiFi but not in the rooms despite the hotel's own website touting free WiFi in rooms! I tried to call my credit card collect from the front desk, I was told by Leonardo that I would be charged for the call and he did not seem to understand the concept of collect calling.

The free breakfast is supposed to be available until 10 am but tables were cleared and food was taken away at 9:30 am. Also, there was not much choice for vegetarians. There are a couple of small pancakes, 4 types of fruit, croissants, etc. but not much in the way of hot food.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you can. Rooms in this hotel have a very poor layout with regard to ceiling ligh...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were only planning on staying in Florence for two days before we moved on to our next location; but it actually ended up being only one day, one night, because we wanted to get to our cousins sooner and it was raining our second day there. I thought this hotel was in a perfect location, you get off the train and literally walk across the street, you don't have to wait in line for a taxi or pay for a taxi and for being across from the train station I expected it to be very loud but it was the opposite. Right across from the hotel is this huge underground mall and it was just steps from a lot of locations.
Our room was comfortable, clean, and the breakfast dining hall was on the same floor we were staying on, which was nice. The breakfast was basic,small but still good. The hotel room came with a suggestion of where to go for dinner and a discount to the restaurant which we did, and we had a great dinner. Also, I was very pleased because when I first came in the sign on the desk said that Wi-Fi was broken in the rooms and you would only get it in the main lobby area. But, I had no issues, I was able to get it in the room the entire time I was there.
The view from our room was excellent you could see everything and I got some great pictures. The only two things that were annoying to me was in order to turn on the lights or keep anything charged in the room you had to put your key in the wall. If you took your key out, your phone or I-Pod would stop charging. Also, though I know it was for security purposes but the security doors that came down on the door and window were very difficult to work, until you got the hang of it.
We had a great time in Florence and we were able to go to a lot of places in just one day. If we were to go to Florence again I would most likely stay at the Diplomat again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
CapoStruttura, Resident manager at Hotel Diplomat, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest, we thank you for the time spent to write about your experience in our Hotel.
The review of our guests are very important for us in order to improve our quality standard if our job meet the satisfaction of our clients.
Hoping to welcoming you again in our Hotel, the Management and all the Staff remain,

F.Vitone
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

stayed in this hotel for a few days , the room we were in was just your average room , couldn't work out the air conditioning or perhaps I'm thick!!,it was cold getting back in late at night ,no tea or coffee facilities in your room breakfast very basic mainly your cold cheese and salad and bowls full of tinned fruit /toast/and cake/,very noisy at the front due to the traffic /trams /sirens/people /mopeds!, how ever it is opposite the train station which makes life a lot easier would I want this room again (no) ask for something quiet.about Florence I would suggest you take an open cheque book it's very expensive eating out unless you do your home work and know where to go. would I go back to Florence (n0) if I did it would be to see the picture galleries I missed.

Room Tip: ask for one not facing the front / towards the train station.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
CapoStruttura, Resident manager at Hotel Diplomat, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest, thanks for your review. Our location is in front of Florence train station Santa Maria Novella, of course the area is very busy during all day. On one side it is a big advantage because we are in a reasonable walking distance with the center. About the room The Diplomat Hotel offer to our customers the possibility to choose 3 kind of room class: the small, the standard, the superior. We have also a limited number of executive rooms.

F Vitone
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hotel Diplomat in Florence Italy. The location was excellent, right across from the train station and within walking distance of the main sightseeing attractions. The Hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful, they were very busy at times but were always eager to help. The breakfast buffet was the best we experienced on our trip and again the staff were very friendly and it showed that they really enjoyed their jobs. The beds were very comfortable and it was quiet at night so we were able to get a good night's sleep. We had trouble with our room safe when we first arrived but the staff attended to it very efficiently after we called the front desk and it turned out that the battery needed to be replaced, With the replacement of a new battery the safe worked great no other problems. We stayed in a couple other Hotels on our trip and we just wanted to recommend the Diplomat for their excellent attitude and first rate service/ experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
CapoStruttura, Resident Manager at Hotel Diplomat, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
Dear guest,
it's a pleasure reading your kind review. We are proud that our customers appreciate their stay in our Hotel

Andrea Masi
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

Th best thing about this hotel is the location because it is just across the street to SMN Train Station and it is walking distance to the tourist attractions such as Piazza della Repubblica, Basilica of Santa Maria Novella and Piazza Della Signoria where all the famous statues are found in Florence. Being near the train station it so convenient for our train ride to Pisa and to SPACE Prada Outlet. There is also a bus station around the corner where you can take a bus to The Mall outlet. For convenience, this is the hotel you must stay. Somewhere around the corner it also a coin operated laundromat but it can be scary when doing your laundry at night alone. Make sure you bring your own laundry detergent as the coin operated machine to buy the detergents don't work.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear customer,
thank you for your time to review our hotel. We strongly believe that every comment gives us an opportunity to better our service and our hotel.
We look forward to having you again in our hotel

Andrea Masi
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

The hotel is ideally located. It's in the historical center of Florence and is just in front of the train station (which is very practical if you want to visit Pisa and cinque terre). The room was lovely and very quiet. The breakfast buffet was quite diversified and really delicious. I'd recommend this hotel with no hesitation.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear customer,
We look forward to having you again in our hotel

F Vitone

Been to Hotel Diplomat? Share your experiences!