“A real gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 461 hotels in Florence
Dublin, Ireland
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and when my wife and I decided to go back to Florence I booked this hotel without a second thought. I was glad to find nothing had changed since my first visit. The staff are still unbelievably friendly and helpful with everything from advice on where to go and how to get there, to even giving myself and my pregnant wife a lift to the train station when we were leaving. Really appreciated I must say. The hotel is about a twenty minute walk from the station and is in a great location. If you walk out the door, turn right and keep going pretty much straight you'll find your way to most of the major attractions in Florence. The bed and bath rooms are very large with plenty of space and kept very clean. Breakfast was one of the best we had in Italy, with plenty on offer. Free wifi was also a nice change to other hotels we stayed in on our trip. Overall, great staff, great location, and great value. I hope to go back again some day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

557 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Once you have found out how to operate the TINY lift and reached the reception room, everything is almost perfect. The owner and his brother were the first people we came in contact with and they could not have been more helpful. The room was large with A/C, and the bathroom was almost as big. It is probably time to buy a new bed as this was not the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in.

Breakfast each morning was wonderful with plenty to choose from and most of it healthy. Recommendations for dinner were exactly right, and directions for getting around were very accurate. Although it is a 15 minute walk from the Duomo, we did not find this at all inconvenient, and it is probably quieter than being in the heart of the city. We would definitely return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We are a family of 4 who spent 5 nights at the Hotel Giglio in July..It was a 20min walk from the train station,Located on the 2nd floor of an older style building, we very warmly greeted by the Lovely Luca who checked us in..offered us a complimentary drink..Our room (No 18) was very spacious with high ceilings..bed was a bit creaky, but we all had good sleeps during our stay,Free Wi-Fi was good, and Breakfast was more than enough..Marco who is one of the owners with his brother and Marco's wife were excellent hosts at Breakfast time..Gave us many tips on where to eat, what to see and do..after checking out, we were making our way to the train station when a large van was beeping his horn and turned in in front of us..It was Marco, who gave us a lift to the train station..and he would not accept any money for his wonderful gesture..Florence is one city we would return to and we would definetly stay again at the Hotel Giglio..Cannot speak Highly enough of the Hotel and the Fantastic Staff..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can only really simply add to the very positive reviews here. This is a lovely 'old fashioned' hotel. We stayed in hot weather in the beginning of August, and our large family room (2 parents and 2 teenagers) was pleasantly cool (with air con). The staff were so friendly - the recommendations for places to eat and get wonderful ice cream (ask!) were excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We noted the Trip Advisor comments before booking Hotel Giglio and decided to book based on the welcome, service, cleanliness and breakfast. We were not disappointed.
The owners Marco and Marcella (I think) went out of their way to welcome the family (2 x adults and two teenagers). We had a welcome drink and although still morning we were able to book into our room, leave our bags and also the car and check out Florence. Easy walk into the centre and all the attractions and local eateries. The couple knew what families wanted giving the WiFi access number straight to the teens.
Elegant typical Florentine hotel based on the first floor (although do have a wheelchair access sign on the front door).
Room was a quadruple and spacious with old but good shower over the bath. Air Con, fridge, flat screen TV, many DVD's, clean linen, fresh fluffy towels. Windows were large with secure shutters plus traditional window glass plus extra glazing. No street noise.
Room / hotel well maintained.
Continental Breakfast plentiful and good choice including freshly prepared fruit, cereals, yoghurts, cakes, coffee, hot chocolate, English tea etc etc.
Check out very smooth by Luca - all staff we met spoke very good English
Very good value for money and would stay again and also recommend to friends.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Rm 18 was a spacious quad. Sunny aspect. Faced onto the quiet street. Would also be good for 4 frien...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

When our cab pulled up to this hotel, it looked like any other on the street. Walking inside looked ok, but nothing like we thought as it was dark and we had to figure out that we needed to go upstairs to get to our hotel. When we arrived upstairs to the hotel double doors, we kind of looked at each other. Then it happened, while registering my first thought was.....I am not staying here. After going to our room and discussing our situation, we thought we would give it a try, for the "experience" we told each other. My husband was still not convinced. The hotel is older, but then again, so is Florence. The Hotel Giglio is a real treasure that I long to revisit one day. The staff is so very friendly and helpful even giving us ideas for vegetarian restaurants, to which I was so very happy. We ate at two of the restaurants that were recommended and the food was delicious. The staff was right on! The room was so clean with a huge bathroom, big towels and lots of soap and shampoo, TV with DVD player, fridge, and free wifi. The breakfast was so yummy with lots of fresh pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, cakes, jams, and yogurts for me and cold meats and cheeses for my husband. The hotel offers lots of DVD's to borrow in the reception area, books, and drinks. We loved the little elevator and the book to sign about your stay and you leave. The walk to all the sites and meeting tour guides was very pleasant and not that far. The only reason I didn't give five stars was because of the bed. It is a mattress that sits on ply wood and it really made my back sore every night. That is the only complaint that I have and really, I lived through it. Thank you Hotel Giglio

Room Tip: We had a room that was close to the reception area, but it was not noisy. We heard nothing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel during a trip to Florence with my mother. Both rooms were clean and well looked after. The staff were excellent and added a great deal to our stay (even allowing us access to our rooms until we left for our afternoon flight). The breakfast was great with plenty of choice. A great value stay in a super city. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a good location to explore the city on foot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Giglio? Share your experiences!