“Know what you are getting...” 3 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #21 of 458 Hotels in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, Texas
“Know what you are getting...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights...

Pros: The hotel is in a great location in a safe neighborhood near the Ponte Vecchio. The staff is friendly and the check in/check out process easy. The breakfast area is delightful and they have boiled eggs available. Lighting in the room and shower water pressure both excellent. Nice amenities; hair dryer, flat screen tv and a big safe. Spacious room.

Cons: The rooms feel out dated. Drab duvet cover, curtains and rugs. Two single beds pushed together. Thin walls. Tiny bathroom with florescent lighting and noisy fan.

I think if you enjoy antique furnishings you would like this hotel. We prefer renovated rooms in historical hotels. Some friends stayed here after a week in Rome...they said they loved the spacious room at Hotel Alessandra. Just depends on what you are looking for.

We did appreciate the room rate and the efficient/friendly staff!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
AndreaGennarini, Owner at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for your review. We understand, and we think it's right that people know what they are getting (and we are so lucky to have over 1000 reviews where saying just that). We are two star family run hotel and pretend to be nothing else! Well, except our team that is. Our team are about 6 star!

Thanks for your objective comments, we did enjoy reading them and understand your point of view.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Sycamore, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Hotel Alessandra, Florence:  This BnB is located close to the Ponte Vecchio and many other of the sights for which Florence is famous.   We stayed there our first night in Italy (one of the few places that would reserve a room for one night) and then the last two nights of our trip.  Be prepared for  stairs on entering the hotel.  Monti, the evening staff person, was welcoming and made sure we got settled comfortably.  The breakfast includes pastries, croissants, hard boiled eggs, yogurt,  cereal and your choice of coffee-espresso, cafe americano and cappuccino among many choices.   Run by Anna and her son Andrea, staff was so helpful.  Andrea recommended the most amazing place to find hand-marbled paper, a grocery where we might find gluten free products and then a lovely restaurant on the next street which had an extensive gluten free menu and where we had the most wonderful meal.  When Andrea found out one of our party had gluten free needs, he made sure there were GF pastries for breakfast along with the many safe foods that were offered.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fabulous! It all worked wonderfully! Yes, GF diets are a 2013 reality (look how many Florentine restaurants cater for them now!) and if we know in advance we are happy to provide GF free products at breakfast too. Now we thinking about this we are going to go write in on our facebook page straight away. Thanks for reminding us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Hotel Alessandra, and from one year to the next, it remains a great place to stay in Florence.

Pros:
Clean, large, comfortable rooms
Helpful and friendly staff (who speak English very well, if you're in need of that)
Conveniently located in centro storico but on a smaller street, away from large crowds
Generous breakfast buffet included in the price

To consider:
Rooms are not luxurious, but this is common in Italian hotel rooms, and for the price it is a great value
Noisy (which isn't at all the fault of the hotel)but if you're very sensitive to noise I'd recommend earplugs

Cons:
No specific cons for this hotel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AndreaGennarini, Owner at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
What a very organised and "tidy" review! Seriously, we think it makes great reading for other guests. Thank you for taking the time and we are looking forward to visit number three!
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights from 9/19-9/22 and we loved this place! We stayed in a superior room with a view of the Arno and it was one block from the Ponte Vecchio and so close to all the other sights too! We walked everywhere! We loved the full breakfast and cappuccino each morning to start our day. Monty was so helpful too' Plus the day we left was the bike race which was shutting down many of the roads and they made sure to get us a taxi before 8:20am so we could get to the airport. We would definitely stay here again and hope to be back someday!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AndreaGennarini, Owner at Hotel Alessandra, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
And we are looking forward to that already. Stay with us on facebook and help out some new guests with what to do and where to do it!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Most memorable of the Hotel Alessandra are the staff, friendly and helpful plus the fabulous location. The hotel was unique in our experience in this trip, where a lot of originality of the the building is intact. The bathroom could do with an update, but it is functional.
Substantial breakfast in a bright breakfast room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We hear you :-) and thank you!
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was the best hotel I stayed at during my visit in Italy, and I stayed at 4 star hotels after this one. If you need room service, a spa and a workout room, this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for warm, friendly people, good location and a charming hotel, this is where you should stay. I am a history person, so I have to say the thought of staying in a 500 year old building held a lot of appeal for me, plus the reviews here were so good I had to check it out. I had a room with a view (ha! that never gets old for me!) of the Arno and it was everything I expected, and more. There was plenty of space (I was traveling with a friend) in the room for us and our stuff. The windows are big and open up, no screens like in the U.S., so lots of sunshine and fresh air. The beds were comfy, not fancy and covered in down - with the temperature in the 80's in September that was a relief - but after walking around Florence all day they were great. The breakfast was really good, and the happy cappuccinos are so fun in the morning. Especially if you're not a morning person ;)

Since the hotel is right by the Arno it's location is great, but not right on the busy streets so it's pretty quiet. My friend and I did not arrive by taxi but instead walked from the train station, getting a glimpse of Florence along the way and arriving at the hotel from the charming,narrow streets. Took us maybe 20 minutes to walk there, not really knowing where we were going that was pretty good. And I noticed during my stay in Florence that there are tons of people who walk to/from the train, lots and lots of suitcases being dragged down the streets.

Some people have complained about the internet not working in their rooms, but I didn't have any issue with that. Not that I was trying to do much online, I was busy looking at the awesomeness that is Florence, but I was able to share photos on Facebook from my room.

Yes there are stairs, as pretty much everyone has noted, but you get used to them. Everywhere I went in Florence required walking up a ton of stairs, so the ones in the hotel were no big deal, although dragging the suitcase up the stairs added a challenge. But the staff was so helpful, they took our bags to the room while we caught our breath, and I'm sure they could help anyone who needed it up that first flight. As everyone has mentioned, the staff is fantastic! They couldn't be nicer, friendlier or more helpful.

This was such a wonderful start to my Italian trip, I just wish I could've packed up the charm of the hotel and the superb staff and taken them to the other places I stayed. I will be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Yippee! Yahoo! Yehawww! It's always wonderful for us to read and review from someone who "got" us - who we are and what we provide. You got it 100% right! We want everyone to love us, our hotel, our town, our culture, our food, our history and our traditions. And how are you going to do that without a helping hand, Even if it means schlepping suitcases up and down stairs. We loved reading this - thank you. And we will be sharing it with our team.
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in this very old but charming hotel situated in a great location for walking to all major sights. You have to walk up a flight of stairs before you get to a very small elevator. The room was large and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good. There's a cute roof-top deck and we had some afternoon tea there one day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Delighted! It sounds as though you had a good time here, and that is the exact service we want to provide. Thank you for telling us.

Been to Hotel Alessandra? Share your experiences!