“"Inconsistent rooms"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #246 of 460 Hotels in Florence
Occidental
“"Inconsistent rooms"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our group of 55 singers stayed at the Ricasoli in the "old" part of the hotel....15th century palace converted to hotel rooms. The rooms for our group were wildly different. Our initial room was like a huge 2 story apartment. That may sound good, but it wasn't. To get to the bedroom and bath, we had to climb a dangerous clunky spiral staircase. The room had a cold unfriendly feeling. We asked to change rooms and were given a one-level charming large room with sitting room, terrace, and kitchenette ( most rooms had a kitchenette with no amenities...no plates, pots, forks, glasses ). The second room was much better than the first. some in our group loved their room and some did not..since all the rooms were so different. This 4-star hotel had a computer room with spotty internet...no service in the rooms. The staff was nice. The breakfast was good. The location was so-so. We had to walk 15 minutes to get to the Duomo..in the rain. However, it was a quiet location with lots of parking for guests. And there were elevators. There was a large garden separating the old building from the new building. I have mixed feelings about the Ricasoli. It appears to cater to groups.

Room Tip: 3 suites have a spiral staircase.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed in Residence Ricasoli for a long period which is why I came to see many cons. Accommodation was paid by a company. Based on the prices published online, it was way overpriced. However, I didn't rate it below since I did not pay myself. Definitely, a not come back hotel.

It is important to realize that the hotel rooms are very different from each other. Therefore, make sure to take a look before you get a key and ask to see more than a room. We were a large group and some of us got fair rooms whilst others suffered. The main advantage was the space. Rooms were generally much larger than other hotels I tried in Italy. The location is good also although it is a bit to the north of the center. There is a laundry close just downstairs and a supermarket not very far.

After a very long flight and connection in Rome ( No Direct international flights to Florence). I was given the room, I did ask for a replacement, but was told that is not available and that they will call me after talking to the manager which did not happen. The bed was right at the entrance with a small sofa TV and desk. Then, there was a small dining table, small fridge, stove and the bathroom. As shown in the bathroom the dining/kitchen area and the bathroom had a sloped sealing from one side. It's good I am not that tall or I would have suffered upon using the toilet. The bathroom was totally out of style especially the shower where you cannot change the direction of the water and it looked as an ancient one (Refer to the Shower Picture).

The isolation was not very good and you could hear the noise from outside the hotel and in the corridors. There were 6 rooms on each floor. There are different blocks. I was staying at block 3, on the 3rd floor. There is another isolated building opposite to the reception area. You would hear the noise from the rooms upstairs if the tenants are not careful/considerate.

The service level differed. At times it was ok and at others it was way below standards. The security guys were very friendly and nice. Receptionist differ depending on their mood. More to come on that below.

Internet (through cables) was a very big issue. It was very slow and down a lot. We had to complain several times and they were blaming the telecom company at first. After increasing the pressure, it did improve for a few days and then back to normal. It depends on how busy the hotel is it seems. the more guests the slower, hence it is clear they didn't want to pay for a higher quota.

Some rooms did not have access cards and I had to keep a big key for 2 months. Cards when obtained did not work at times. Air conditioning in the summer was a disaster. The weather was hot and the hotel refused to switch the ACs saying that they do so after a specific date and not according to the weather. They have full control from downstairs, so you would have to call them and ask them to change the set temperature. They switched it off at night, but that was bearable! I had other issues with electricity where they hotel staff had to come play with the electricity box to sort it out.

The parking was good although I never used it. We were told we had to pay if we were to use it. Never tried their food as other options were available.

Housekeeping quality was not always good. Some ladies clean better than others. My colleagues had their rooms cleaned although the DND sign was on the door. Below the bed was not cleaned over months. I had to move the bed eventually, so they can see the dust below and clean it!

I would never return to this hotel although I have nice memories because of the group I stayed with. The 4 stars rating was always something we wondered about at many cases. At first I thought this could have been a standard in Italy, but I had better experiences elsewhere. As mentioned, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE ROOM OUT IF YOU WERE TO STAY THERE.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the rooms overlooking the roads.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Marina del Rey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We originally booked at another hotel in Florence that was associated with the Pallazzo Ricasoli. The original hotel was overbooked and we were moved to his hotel. At first we were upset but after getting to the Pallazzo Ricasoli the staff there was very accommodating and we had a great stay.

The underground parking was easy and efficient. The rooms large and the rate included a great breakfast. The hotel seems to be used by many tour groups which is not necessarily a negative. The location could not have been better. Walk right out the front door and you're in the historic district. And since the hotel is right at the edge you are not affected by the driving restrictions in Florence. A big plus.

My only negatives were that the internet / wifi connection was slow. And the signage on the front of the hotel could be a little more prominent.

The front desk staff was very helpful and the manager was very helpful also.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel is too far outside the historic center to be truly convenient for someone visiting the main sites of Florence. But I could have lived with the location if it weren't for the depressing quality of the rooms. We were not in the main building and the structure our rooms were in was basically a concrete bunker - the closest thing it reminded me of was a college dormitory. Concrete walls, tile floors, fluorescent lighting - yuck! I've never spent as much time walking around Florence as I did on this trip just trying to avoid coming back to my room. Also, there is no in-room internet service which is a major problem in my book. Overall, I just can't find anything to recommend about this place, given how many better options there are in the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ricasoli, Direttore at Palazzo Ricasoli Residence, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Sir,
our Hotel is right in the heart of the historical city center of Florence.
All our rooms and common areas have internet connectivity, free of charge.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in Florence.
Hope to serve you in the future.
Bethpage, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I loved this place! There was a beautiful courtyard, the breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious and the room was large. WIFI was not very good, but I did not miss it because I was there to enjoy Florence.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of the tour package. The room was clean but the amenities were spartan. The wifi was not very fast and there was none in the room. You have to go down to the reception area to get a signal. The frontage is nice and well maintained. Breakfast was plentiful with good service. Location is very good as it is near the shops and walking distance to some of the main sights.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
algeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Good hotel close to central Florence 20 mn walk to Duomo or to central train station ;Rooms were clean and comfortable ,we had a quad with separate room for our 2 kids ;nice atmosphere nearby with easy walk at night to restaurants and venues in historic florence ;breakfast was spartan and not up to 4 star standards ,more like café style ;hotel decor in main court is very fitting to this medieval city ; it is not quite a pallazo but it added a bit of style to our stay

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Palazzo Ricasoli Residence? Share your experiences!