“Dissapointing” 3 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #48 of 461 Hotels in Florence
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We arrived early and we're happy we could check in right away. The room seemed very nice and we were initially very happy...

But the tub was not sealed properly and after a shower water would flood out from between the base of the bath and the floor. On telling the young guy at reception (different to the man who checked us in) he said it was surely from filling the tub too high and water overflowing. I said we had only showered, not used the tub as a bath and the then decided it was from us spraying water. I explained that there is a seated ledge to use in the bath so that water is not sprayed everywhere with the hand held shower.

I said I was happy for someone to look at it and he said that wasn't necessary. He said housekeeping could leave additional towels for us to clean up our mess. I can't say I'm happy about having my intelligence insulted or it being implied we were unable to shower like adults.

I was further unimpressed by having a worm in my rice cakes at breakfast - although, the dining room staff were extremely apologetic.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Mount Vernon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed twice at this hotel during a recent trip to Italy. The staff were friendly and helpful, the location was great -- walking distance to all major sites. Had 2 different rooms at 2 price points, and both were lovely. Excellent breakfast included. The neighborhood had a lot of good, reasonable places to have dinner, or just a glass of wine, all within a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Barbara,
Great review! Enjoyes to read it, especially the parte about the "staff" ;-)
Thank you!
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good services, personnel hospitably, big room, private terrace, very clean, good breakfast, central location near most important places to be visited. If I will come back to visit Florence this hotel will be my first choice.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear "CMihai13",
your review sums with few words all you enjoed during your recent stay. I really appreciate how you shared your impressions, and I am very glad for the positive notes you left.
Thank you!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently decided to travel to my beloved Florence while on vacation in another European country. I traveled alone with the sole purpose of visiting friends, and shopping. Normally a single stay in Florence means you end up with a twin bed, however at Orto De Medici that's not the case. I stayed in a double room which faced Via San Gallo. While I could hear people enjoying their evening in Florence I did not find it overly noisy or disruptive of my sleep.
The room was furnished with the tiniest TV I have ever seen but then again who goes to Florence to watch TV? The bathroom was amply large and well suited for the needs.
I booked directly through the hotel as I found their prices to be the best, and received a bottle of prosecco and biscotti.

The hotel is suitated in a great location equally distanced to all the major attractions and a quick and easy walk from Santa Maria Novella station. One of the best things at. This hitel is their breakfast buffet, which is served in a room off the courtyard in the winter, with spectacular views of the courtyard that will make you feel like a Medici. The breakfast buffet has plenty of offerings from hard boiled eggs, a variety of breads and pastries, yogurts, fresh and syrup based fruits, cold cereals, a large tub of Nutella to satisfy your cravings for the hazelnut spread, fresh squeezed orange juice, as well as a variety of other juices, and a self serve coffee machine.

For those who travel to Florence with large luggage or have spent too many Euros shopping and now must carry many bags, the hotel does have an elevator for your use.

Lastly, if you aren't familiar with a typical Italian hotel manner you may find it strange to have to leave your key at the front desk when you decide to leave the property, however, this is quite normal throughout Italy. In other words, you shouldn't worry or think this practice will mean they'll clean you of your belongings.

I frequently visit Florence and given reason to find myself there again in the near future, whether last minute or not, I would look at staying at Orto De Medici.

Room Tip: Some rooms are upgraded while others aren't. Room number 21 is not upgraded, faces San Gallo, ha...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Dear Belle,
If I had to pick the best review I red in recent times I'll chose yours! So detailed and full of good suggestions to the next traveller. I think this is really the meaning of leaving a public feedback. sharing your experience with the community of travellers and give useful tips.
Thank you a lot!
Brechin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff seem to stay the same over the years of coming and are always welcoming and helpful.
Well located, clean and friendly hotel. Would like a kettle in our room to make tea but that woudl be my only improvement. Always happy to be back.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear LMhairiG,
What a nice surprise to receive your feedback. It's always our pleasure to have returning clients like you. thank you for your preference!
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have just returned from a 4 day amazing trip to Florence. The hotel was more than expected, incredible big room with private terrace with amazing view. The personnel was more than helpful, diversified breakfast. The most important for us was the fact that it was so clean. It is better than a lot of 4 star hotels.

Room Tip: room 41 was big, clean and with a private terrace.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear GheneaA,
Wow! Thank you for all the compliments. We are so happy to know that we have contributed in making your trip to Florence amazing and thank you for considering us the best 3 star hotel ever :).
Sarbatori fericite!
See you soon.
Mirela Radu
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had the junior suite and it was huge! We liked everything in the room; its layout and functionality, except for its main door lock. This hotel uses the tradition key to lock the main door and you've to deposit the key at the front reception. We were handed the wrong key once and hence we would recommend that you lock everything before leaving the room. Front receptionists were friendly and nice, but strictly business-like; don't expect any warm Italian hospitality here. The breakfast and cleaning staff were completely different; you can sense the warm Italian hospitality here. It felt like you just walked into an Italian home. We thought it deserved a 4-star, but overall something closer to a 5, mainly due to the breakfast and cleaning staff.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ivan,
Thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed many features of the hotel, like the room and the breakfast. Thanks also for all the suggestions you provide to improve more. They are really precious!
Francesco BIni

Been to Hotel Orto De Medici? Share your experiences!